503 - "High Sparrow" - SPOILERS

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
edited April 2015 in Game of Thrones
Director: Mark Mylod
Writer: David Benioff & D. B. Weiss

Comments

• GeorgexileGeorgexile Dominican Republic
    edited April 2015
    What Great and eventful episode, after the beheading I was expecting the credits roll but the episode was far from over. What a mind blowing change to marry of Sansa to Ramsey, it makes the Bolton look desperate and really they kinda are. Also it was quite funny when Qyburn didn't give a fuck that the high septon didn't know how to address him
    SarahElisadjhova1
  • edited April 2015
    Everything in this episode seemed to tie people back to where they were at the beginning. Sansa goes home. Arya gets rid of needle. Jon beheads a man the way Ned did in episode one. I am not entirely certain, but I am pretty sure that table Margery was at with her ladies was one we've seen Cersei at. Tyrion at a brothel drinking.

They're sort of coming back to who they were in some way, but everything has changed.  
    steph_bUnderwood
  • EnverEnver Toronto
    When Jaqen told Arya "there's only one god and you already know him", my mind = blown. Is that sufficient to confirm Jaqen is Syrio and vice versa, or am I reading too much into it?
  • Don't be a bystander to tragedy Sansa, be the tragedy.
    SarahchriskCJwriterhypergenesb
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited April 2015
    @trippy

Ppppprrrrrroably because he just strangled to death the woman he loved and was betrayed by who was a prostitute not weeks ago.....*and yes, read that with thick obvious implied sarcasm*
    steph_buncle_gtrippy
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited April 2015
    The North Remembers!!!!!

3 episodes where very little has actually happened makes me think we're gonna get some crazy epic episodes in the back half.
    Elisa
  • Yeh on first watch i was little disapointed by the lack of "Ed, Fetch me a Block" , but the scene was still great and episode good
    SlytherinSisterksa1001
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    Enver said:

When Jaqen told Arya "there's only one god and you already know him", my mind = blown. Is that sufficient to confirm Jaqen is Syrio and vice versa, or am I reading too much into it?

Book spoiler ahead:

The Many Faced God is the god of death so I'm pretty sure that's all that is meant. Arya has seen plenty of that. 

I feel pretty certain that Syrio is not Jaqen or even a Faceless Man. Syrio's line was "what to do we say to death?.... Not today." To me that's not something a Faceless Man would say. Seems antithetical to their philosophy. Though Jaqen at least appears to fear for his own life when Arya names him, so it's hard to say.

Not that it's relevant to what's going on, but I wonder if the Jaqen we're seeing this season is even the same Faceless Man from Season 2. Or is this one just using a familiar face for Arya's benefit?

I've never had a big attachment to the "Edd, fetch me a block" line that a lot of people have. As far as the show goes though, it's not Edd because we've hardly heard from that character lately and Olly has now been made more familiar. Seems like a common theory that Olly also is in on the "For the Watch" stuff, which makes a lot of sense. They'll do what they can to keep him in the foreground. "Fetch my sword" is also a more obvious indicator for show people of what's about to happen. They could have laid a bunch of track to make that line from the book work, but this accomplishes the same thing for 90% of the audience. 

CJwritersteph_buncle_g
  • GlenGlen Winterfell
    Something I am struggling with regarding Littlefinger's arrangement with the Boltons is what's in it for LF? You give up the only person in the world you seem to genuinely care about to a crazy person... then what?

Install Sansa so she can marry/kill Ramsay then kill Roose? Seems risky, even for LF. 

Its also hard to believe LF would leave Sansa there without some sort of man on the inside in case things broke bad.

Curious to hear anyone else's theory. 
    CJwriterAlanuncle_g
  • edited April 2015
    Did anyone else think of Dany and the beheading of the ex-slave scene when Jon was beheading Janos? I thought the parallels between both scenes were, as A.Ron so eloquently puts it, "mildly interesting". They're both new at this whole ruling thing, they are dishing out punishment for the first time and you can see them both struggle a little bit with that. Ultimately they do what they feel they have to, for better or worse. Although, I think the Janos beheading would have had more impact had it played out as it did in the books.
    uncle_g
  • CJwriterCJwriter North of the Wall... MT
    edited April 2015
    The North Remembers. Sansa & Littlefinger's story (as well Brienne & Pod) is most interesting for me since it is something completely different, yet so familiar (Jeyne Poole/False Arya). This makes a much more interesting story since the danger is there for an actual Stark. The idea that Sansa will take revenge by her own hand doesn't seem the way to go, that's Arya's way. I see her raising the North using agents loyal to her as a Stark (the North Remembers) to take down the Boltons. Although it would be sweet to see her take down that little shit Ramasy, I think that task will be left for Reek to become Theon again before he dies. Or Bienne will fuck up everyone's plans rescuing Sansa (killing the Boltons) and then killing Staniss and Littlefinger and becoming King of the North (or maybe Pod marries Sansa and becomes King of the North). Na, I don't have a clue what Brienne's going to do, she's hasn't been successful yet.  
    Elisa
  • djhova1djhova1 Boston, MA
    Any theories of the long look the Red Priestess gave Tyrion? Reminded me of when Mel was looking at John when she first got to the wall 
    Elisa
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yes, one wonders if she has seen Tyrion "in the flames", so to speak.  Plus, that's a relatively high profile actress (she starred in the underrated Wolverine) so I expect we'll get to know her more as we go on.
    Elisahypergenesbsteph_bGeorgexile
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    So cersei appears to be siding with the High Sparrow hmmm
  • GlenGlen Winterfell
    Tyrion, Jorah and the new red priestess will end up on a boat or traveling together to Mereen, but is Varys done with the traveling roadshow? I assume he sneaks his way back to Kings Landing to further corrode the lannister reign.
    steph_b
  • browniefivebrowniefive Minneapolis, MN
    edited April 2015
    Hatorian said:

When the old maid said, "The North remembers" I got chills. Totally excited/scared/nervous for what's going to go down in Winterfell. I think we'll see Sansa come in to her own. Albeit changed by all she has seen. She isn't so naive anymore.

I think they replaced the line of "Ed, fetch me a block" with "Olly, get my sword." When I heard him say that I knew they weren't going to use the Ed line. Because of the show change adding Olly, it makes sense. Not sure my book purist self likes it though.

I thought the Varys/Tyrion road show was better this week. Tyrion had more lines than, "this sucks i wanna die" so good on that.

The fact that the body under the clothe moved was interesting. It seemed as though Qyburn expected it to move. Or at least it had before. And the fact he talked to it made me wonder if it was somewhat sentient yet. Or if it was how one would talk to a pet. Curious on other people's take on that, since the books hasn't confirmed anything like that yet...

EDIT: Not sure why it's quoting Hatorian above - my apologies...
    Hatorian
  • joschmanjoschman Fargo, ND
    Glen said:

I assume he sneaks his way back to Kings Landing to further corrode the lannister reign.

I think he swims back...
    steph_bGojantEnver
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    My gut tells me Tyrion Jorah and Stone Men meet.

Franken gregor is under the sheets in Qyburn's lab.
    CJwriter
  • If you lost Jim that would be two thumbs WAAAY up in my opinion. I love listening to Jim in other podcast, but I can not Stand listening to his views on this story. And I dont wanna stop listening to this cast, I really enjoy A Rons views on this world both book and show( except his views on the Iron Born and the Feast/Dance in general, please for the love of R'hllor read Sean T Collins REMIX of Feast/Dance. IT makes it Way better.

steph_b
  • Glen said:

Something I am struggling with regarding Littlefinger's arrangement with the Boltons is what's in it for LF? You give up the only person in the world you seem to genuinely care about to a crazy person... then what?

Install Sansa so she can marry/kill Ramsay then kill Roose? Seems risky, even for LF. 

Its also hard to believe LF would leave Sansa there without some sort of man on the inside in case things broke bad.

Curious to hear anyone else's theory. 
    I thought about this a lot while watching the episode last night. I couldn't get my head around why little finger would ally with the Boltons. When he revealed the marriage to Sansa, and quickly led her to the realization that she can use the marriage for revenge it all clicked. I suspect that Littlefinger is setting the Boltons up, and here is why.

Littlefinger loved Catelyn Stark and Roose Bolton is responsible for her death. Because of this Littlefinger probably wants little more than to get revenge on Roose. He is allying with the Boltons, much the same way that the Boltons allied with the Starks, then will turn on them. Maybe even during the Stark/Bolton wedding?

I don't have a clue what Littlefinger's endgame is, but to me it seems that the next step in his plan is to eliminate the Boltons and take Winterfell. 
    bhiddyElisa
  • joschmanjoschman Fargo, ND
    @Allen the thing is, I don't think know if Littlefinger knows what crazy person Ramsay is. More appropriately, I don't know if he realizes what a deranged psycho Ramsay is. I mean Roose didn't even fully realize it. I think the dialog between LF and Ramsay sort of alluded to that fact, as well, when LF said he doesn't know much about Ramsay, which he said was odd. I think LF underestimates Ramsay, and it may put Sansa in a very compromising position.
    Alanbhiddy
  • Alan said:

I don't have a clue what Littlefinger's endgame is, but to me it seems that the next step in his plan is to eliminate the Boltons and take Winterfell. 

I think Littlefinger's motive's became a little more clear to me n this episode. I agree he is in it to annihilate the Boltons. By marrying Sansa she will have the north back along with the Bolton holdings. Then with them gone he is set up to now have the North, Harenhal and the Aerie, neither has been conqured without the use of dragons.

Next up  the Riverlands, he has heirs in both Sansa and Sweet Robin. He is slowly consolidating everything under his control.

AlanGojantElisabrowniefiveLiz
  • I'm pumped for all these threads to converge @ Winterfell. It seems like they're leading in the direction the books are hinting at (with some characters being swapped out of course) ... and in the books it kindof drags on too long, since we don't even really know what went down at the end of Feast/Dance, so hopefully they're moving things towards resolution with more brevity in the show. So many great possibilities; Sansa & Reek (team up to kill Ramsay??), Brienne & Stannis (which should be interesting since they kindof have a common cause, except Brienne really wants to kill him), the Bolton's (hopefully finally) getting their comeuppances! I really hope we get some other crews into the mix for an all out battle royale - Mormonts, Manderlays, Freys, etc.
    Alan
  • joschman said:

@Allen the thing is, I don't think know if Littlefinger knows what crazy person Ramsay is. More appropriately, I don't know if he realizes what a deranged psycho Ramsay is. I mean Roose didn't even fully realize it. I think the dialog between LF and Ramsay sort of alluded to that fact, as well, when LF said he doesn't know much about Ramsay, which he said was odd. I think LF underestimates Ramsay, and it may put Sansa in a very compromising position.

Good point, I didn't think of the concept that Littlefinger doesn't know how crazy Ramsay is. Maybe LF underestimating Ramsay is the eventual downfall of him and whatever his grand plan is!

I might be crazy but it seemed like Reek/Theon was having a little bit of trouble the few times he saw Sansa. I wonder how he will play into this entire situation. It seems like there is going to be some interesting action between Sansa, Littlefinger, Ramsay, Roose, and Reek/Theon. Stannis and Breanne may even join in the fun at Winterfell. I'm interested to see what happens and glad to see Winterfell back in the plot.
  • I think LF knows all he needs to know about the boltons. He took ownership of Harrenhall following their control of it. The carnage there alone should have been enough information. LF is just using Sansa to consolidate power. He must have some plot or contacts yet unseen.

And as former Master of Coin, LF must have some contacts in Bravos to inform him of Stannis and his movements on the throne.
    Elisa
  • Despite listening for it this season, I also got a chill when Sansa's housemaid mentioned "The North Remembers."  

To get tin-foily for a second, I'm actually left wondering if LF may have a hand in that as Sansa's possible exit strategy. Problems with that theory are that LF isn't actually from the north, so therein lies the tinfoil.

@A_Ron_Hubbard: Curious to know if there's any doubt in Jim's mind which queen Jorah is talking about when he says "I'm taking you to the Queen."  When I read it, my mind went straight to Dany, but he has a full pardon and could get his lordship back if he takes him back to Cersei...Of course, Jorah's fighting pit scenes have been spoiled a little by the trailers...
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I personally thinking Littlefinger is just playing the Boltons.  He knows what they are all about.  Payback time.
    hypergenesb
  • I'm not sure what power LF has over Sansa once she's no longer physically in control of her. He is headed to KL and no longer has custody over Robin or Sansa and custody of them was the source of his power and control. What is he without that? Once he drops Sansa off why does he think she would continue to work as his operative? It makes no sense.
  • Ummm...in trying to make a marriage pact between Sansa and Ramsay, isn't Littlefinger forgetting one little fact? Sansa is already married to Tyrion. The only way he could legitimize such a marriage would be to get the High Septon to annul the first marriage since it was not consummated.
    steph_b
  • I have a question about the faceless men in the show. How does Jim know that there is such a thing as the fm and that that's where arya is headed when she arrives at the house of B&W? I just can't remember them ever being mentioned by name in the show previously. Maybe I need to watch the season two J'aquen stuff again.

I kinda thought the reason they made the kindly man into J'aquen was so show watchers could make the connection that this was the same order. But in the podcasts when it first showed up I was surprised that Jim was all in the know about fm's/assassin training/etc. I remember it being a bit more ambiguous at first in Feast.

It's not a big deal but it's just a a detail that's really been bugging me.

I really hope they include the blindness, sneak attacks, and warging. I loved that part in the books, but I've heard the show has a no-one-but-bran-can-warg policy. Which is a bummer…and also makes me wonder about Jon Snow.