Chernobyl (HBO)

Really digging this thriller mini series. Discussions here!
RenaisWomn

Comments

• Glad to hear you like it. The previews have definitely caught my interest. I will give it a shot this weekend. 
    gguenot
  • I liked the first episode, at least as much as you can like a terrible true disaster story. Can’t imagine being one of the liquidators of the accident. Very interested to see the presentation of the events. 
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Yikes, this show is scary. Dark very dark. I’m going to get tired of hearing the denials of how bad things are. I’m definitely gonna watch next week. 
  • Agree, to me this was a deeper level of horror than almost any actual horror movie, the idea of <<<<<spoilers I guess?>>>>>> standing near an active nuclear reaction open to the air is scary on such a weird level.  In that state it's an absolute death machine that just should not exist on our planet, and for the liquidators up close the very fact that you can see it means you are already coming apart at the most fundamental level and face an incredibly painful end...and there is nothing anyone can do about it.  And it could/did actually happen, unlike many horror tropes.  
  • AnominalAnominal San Francisco Bay Area
    edited May 7
    The acting is great, the production is great, the cinematography is great, the reality of the situation is horrible, the effects are gruesome. This is so intense. 
    AussieGregmanhattnik
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    There are so many of my favourite actors in this cast, so I’m in. 
    Noeldjcaudle01
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited May 7
    I’ve been hearing Craig Mazin talk about this show (he’s the writer/creator of it) on his podcast for ages, and am so glad it’s coming out. Just have to wait for it to hit Amazon Prime Japan. Which could still be 6 months or more away.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    As someone who lived near 2 different nuclear power plants growing up this shit is scary. I hope
    this gets more coverage from the guys than the Bald Move TV cast
    BloodyTaco
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    That was an amazing first episode. It was brutal and tough to watch. What a tragedy. This is going to be must watch the next 4 weeks.
  • The only thing kinda taking me out of it is the English with non-Russian accents. I’d almost prefer them speaking Russian and having to read subtitles
    kojiattwoodElisaNoelcdriveCecilydarthcaedus1138manhattnikTeresa from Concord
  • I hope it doesn't scare people away from nuclear energy. 
    telephoneofmadnessdjcaudle01jj04
    edited May 7
    gguenot said:
    The only thing kinda taking me out of it is the English with non-Russian accents. I’d almost prefer them speaking Russian and having to read subtitles
    From the official podcast, they tried it with Russian accents, but it changed how they were acting.

(Doing it in full on Russian would mean you need the creator of the project and all the directors and writers switched out since they don't speak the language.)

The compromise was to cast Europeans and no Americans because he thought having straight up Americans would go over his line on what works and what doesn't. 
    kojiattwoodgguenot
  • I was having such anxiety watching this. It was like they opened up a portal to hell it was horrifying. I read the wikipedia article and apparently not that many people died (at least less than I would expect) like under 50 which I find really hard to believe. 
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    I was having such anxiety watching this. It was like they opened up a portal to hell it was horrifying. I read the wikipedia article and apparently not that many people died (at least less than I would expect) like under 50 which I find really hard to believe. 
    I think that's just immediate deaths attributed to date. But if you google "deaths attributed to Chernobyl" there are some models that has forecast future deaths from things such as cancer/radiation could be as high 200,000. There doesn't seem to be any accepted accurate model. But it is definitely higher than what has been attributed so far.
  • The weird communist gaslighting is scary.
    JaimieTmanhattnik
    The looks on all their faces as they hear it too. Both the looks of WTF, and the looks of rewriting their own thoughts to not admit the truth. Great acting from so much of the cast. 
  • Can we talk about the episodes freely here? I really liked this first one. The tension is so palpable, it kind of makes me nauseated. I'm debating going down a Wikipedia hole on Chernobyl. It seems like they're using real historical figures, but the history itself is somewhat fluid, so I wonder how close to reality this will be. I got serious Fargo season 3 vibes from the first scene.

Also, is Jared Harris being typecast?
    manhattnik
    edited May 8
    The official podcast talks about the balance of reality and the needs of story telling. Especially considering the opening lines are about the cost of lies. He wants to stay as accurate as he can.

If you want more details, he goes into specifics. Which lines are direct quotes, which lines are prettied up, which characters are real but maybe didn't do all that was depicted, which are meant to represent ideas or groups of people. 
    Freddy
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Top tier. Love it.
  • Jarred Harris was on Seth Meyers the other night promoting the show and turns out he's also a big Game of Thrones fan. It's a pretty charming conversation. GoT spoiler starts at around 3:20. (There's also a Mad Men spoiler at 1:55 but the show ended 4 years ago so don't get mad at anyone if you haven't watched it.)

https://youtu.be/ulGwxa0ToWQ
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    With Capt Crozier and Mr.Hickey, did Chernobyl just leapfrog and become The Terror 2 before the actual Terror 2 comes out? 
    gguenotElisaDoctor_Nick
  • Really looking forward to seeing more.  But first I think I need a refresher on nuclear power!
  • Anyone know if this show is getting a dedicated podcast or will it be on bald move tv? 
  • MrXMrX CO
    Dev59 said:
    Anyone know if this show is getting a dedicated podcast or will it be on bald move tv? 

Think they said it'll be on Bald Move TV this week.
    Dev59
  • MrX said:
    Dev59 said:
    Anyone know if this show is getting a dedicated podcast or will it be on bald move tv? 

Thank you, also the companion podcast by HBO offers some great insights into the show specifically what is true and fictional (not trying to promote the competition just some good content lol) 
    MrX
  • MrXMrX CO
    Dev59 said:
    MrX said:
    Dev59 said:

Thank you, also the companion podcast by HBO offers some great insights into the show specifically what is true and fictional (not trying to promote the competition just some good content lol) 

Just listened to it - definitely worth it for anyone looking to dig deeper. And it's hosted by Peter Sagal!
  • Goodness, this is one of the most horrifying things I've ever seen on TV. I felt terrible for the characters who were forced to go near this explosion against their will. I felt terrible for all the people who didn't know better. 

It made me furious when certain characters couldn't came face to face with the truth.

What a great start to this show. 
    rkcrawf
  • Welp, that was harrowing.

Anyone else reminded of Sauron when they saw that core?
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    Great to see the guys doing a dive-in on this.  I thought the first ep was really gripping.  I also listened to the "official" podcast and thought it was very good and informative as well.

I look forward to hearing the BM treatment on the drive home.  From the looks of the description J&A seem to have...well "enjoyed" is probably the wrong word....been intrigued perhaps.

I hope the show can keep that tension.  I think it will.  There won't be anything bittersweet about this ending - that's a Dr. Ken prediction.
    2manyboogers