GOT FINALE PREDICTION (Spoiler Free/Pure speculation)

I base this on the Subversion of Fantasy themes firmly established by the show only (show only watcher); what I view as quality storytelling (M.A. in English Language/14 years teaching AP English); the narrative character arcs the show has created;  my own feelings regarding what would make for a satisfying ending; and the idea that ASOIAF is at its best when it is able to reveal to us, after initial disgust, that whatever happens is clearly what they were telling us all along, while we were all expecting something else (Also, fan bankruptcy be damned).

Here goes:

After NOT burning King’s Landing, but the armies battling anyway,  Drogon is killed, while war still wages outside with both armies taking serious casualties. Regardless of the eventual victor, armies of either side will be predicted to be small by the end.

Gloating anyway at killing the last dragon, Cersei gets surprised killed by Jamie, but Qybern surprise stabs him. They leave the world as they entered it—together.

Qybern, with Mountain at his side, claims the throne, but Mountain is attacked by Hound/Arya.

Hound kills Mountain before 
Arya mercy kills a maimed-by-the-fight Hound.

Varys surprise kills Qybern, leaving Dany actually the winner. 

She runs to Jon, but Varys reveals he’s backing Jon.

Dany loses her shit, goes mad queen, threatening to  kill Jon (a la Ygritte)

Arya saves him by killing Dany (a la Ygritte).

Tyrian, meanwhile, figures out a way to kill Euron, perhaps by bringing Dorn and Yara into the fray.  

Now Jon, with Varys in one ear and Tyrian in another, is done with this shit, and decides to stab himself with Longclaw, refusing to play anyone’s games anymore or suffer any more after all he’s done for others. His watch ends.

Tyrian and Varys turn to Arya, who realizes she is now done with killing, and fucks off to the end of the world like she said to Lady Crane.

Varys and Tyrian approach Sansa, who scoffs at wanting to go south ever again.

Varys decides Tyrian is the best option for the throne

Tyrian reluctantly decides to sit on the throne, and just when we think it’s over, Varys catches a bolt in the neck.

Pan to Bronn: “I think you’re sitting in my chair, little man.” Tyrian gives him the seat. “Now this more like it. Why don’t you fetch your king some ale, eh?” 

This is sounds like fan fiction (well, it is), but Bronn taking the throne is a complete subversion of the fantasy trope.

The male and female protagonists both let us down, bittersweetly, as Dany’s ambition proves maddening, while Jon’s resignation to duty reaches the breaking point.

Tyrian, despite his compassion, bravery, and intellect, still loses to practicality and strength.

Varys’ reluctance to remain loyal to anyone, despite his good intentions gets him killed.

Arya’s death list complete, she continues on as a lone wolf, finally disillusioned with killing, and all the whole game.

Jamie does the right thing, and comes full circle. 

Hound does  what he has always wanted, and rests knowing someone truly loves him.

Bronn reiterates both what he has always said, and the central theme grounding the entire story: Prophecy is shit.  No one “deserves” anything, nor gets what they deserve. Being amoral,  ruthless, practical, and good with a weapon will always win over being honorable, compassionate, idealistic, or knowing things.

Because we know nothing, show watchers. We know nothing.

Comments

• edited May 9
    It surely would be an entertaining end to the series and I applaud you for your efforts and words. I'm almost as high on this series as I was back prior to season 5 when most people say the show took a huge turn for the worse. It certainly has had its fair share of tough moments but I watch a show to be entertained and this ending would be extremely entertaining in my opinion. I think you nailed many of my own thoughts regarding how some characters meet their end and you definitely add in some ideas I had never even thought about. 

There are so many possibilities on how this show will end and I think that's part of what makes this series great. In 3 days we'll get a much better idea of how this series will end and 7 days after that it will be over. I hope these spinoffs do well and are entertaining but they will never be what Game of Thrones is and was.
    luongod
  • Thanks. I’m waiting for the negative responses, though. I’m far from believing it will turn out this way—this is wishful thinking from someone bothered greatly by recent episodes, so I’m essentially trying to rationalize a way they could satisfyingly end the show with what we have so far. 

Theyll probably just shit the bed  and make another mediocre Star Wars movie starring a bunch of GOT alum.
  • AnominalAnominal San Francisco Bay Area
    edited May 9
    I don't believe it for a second of course, but that's a pretty funny answer to who sits the Iron Throne. Someone who we've seen the beginning of the series that has been gaining rank and stature (in words and promises at least) over time.

The following is something I posted in the Preview thread (with one deletion becasue I forgot he WA dead, and one edit thanks to @letrbuck2006), but it clearly fits better here instead. It's simply a reflection of all the sidelined characters from the show. 

----

Obviously, [the mystery person in the screen cap from the preview] is Jaquen Hagar... Who is then going to pull off his face later and show that he's really Syrio Forel!

But there's more. 

This is only after Quaith returns to warn Dany that the surviving warlocks have mobilized all of Esos to invade Westeros to take the last living dragon, arriving on the ships commanded by none other than Xaro Xhoan Daxos who has pledged his loyalty to them after they freed him from the vault he was locked in. The warlocks gained funding from the Iron Bank and bought the Second Sons still lead by Daario who is coming to march against her. 

And I don't need to tell you guys this but clearly, Quaith was able to get here in time gaining passage from Salladhor Saan along with Jaquen. The warlocks are only coming now because the Night King has been defeated. With that dragon's blood, they will be able to make the mountains topple and boil the seas, and when they make the sun rise in the east they will be able to channel the power of the defeated Night King into their chosen vessel, Khal Drogo. (Sometimes I wish they didn't lean so hard into prophecy.) 

And it's no surprise that Quaith comes only now because she has always been a servant of the Three Eyed Raven and must speak with Bran, and from there she must deliver one more message to another servant of the Three-Eyed Raven, Howland Reed (duh), who has been caring for someone key to fighting off the warlocks, because her unique circumstance has allowed her to learn the Song of Ice and Fire, Lady Stoneheart.

Stopping the warlocks is what matters, not this so called Last War, and so Syrio Forel is going get within the walls, free Ellaria because she is owed a life (they foreshadowed that so hard), and the two of them along with Arya and the Hound will end the war with Cersei. 

But of course I'm sure this is all old news. It's plain as day that that's how the war with Cersei ends and it's going to set up the series finale titled, A Song of Ice and Fire. (So predictable.)

PS: And of course Meera is with her father and Bran guides Quaith by warging into Nymeria which he's been doing this whole time! 
  • edited May 9
    Anominal said:
    I don't believe it for a second of course, but that's a pretty funny answer to who sits the Iron Throne. Someone who we've seen the beginning of the series that has been gaining rank and stature (in words and promises at least) over time.

The following is something I posted in the Preview thread (with one deletion becasue I forgot he WA dead), but it clearly belongs here instead. It's simply a reflection of all the sidelined characters from the show. 

----

Obviously, [the mystery person in the screen cap from the preview] is Jaquen Hagar... Who is then going to pull off his face later and show that he's really Syrio Forel!

But there's more. 

This is only after Quaith returns to warn Dany that the surviving warlocks have mobilized all of Esos to invade Westeros to take the last living dragon, arriving on the ships commanded by none other than Xaro Xhoan Daxos who has pledged his loyalty to them after they freed him from the vault he was locked in. The warlocks gained funding from the Iron Bank and bought the Golden Company still lead by Daario who is coming to march against her. 

And I don't need to tell you guys this but clearly, Quaith was able to get here in time gaining passage from Salladhor Saan along with Jaquen. The warlocks are only coming now because the Night King has been defeated. With that dragon's blood, they will be able to make the mountains topple and boil the seas, and when they make the sun rise in the east they will be able to channel the power of the defeated Night King into their chosen vessel, Khal Drogo. (Sometimes I wish they didn't lean so hard into prophecy.) 

And it's no surprise that Quaith comes only now because she has always been a servant of the Three Eyed Raven and must speak with Bran, and from there she must deliver one more message to another servant of the Three-Eyed Raven, Howland Reed (duh), who has been caring for someone key to fighting off the warlocks, because her unique circumstance has allowed her to learn the Song of Ice and Fire, Lady Stoneheart.

Stopping the warlocks is what matters, not this so called Last War, and so Syrio Forel is going get within the walls, free Ellaria because she is owed a life (they foreshadowed that so hard), and the two of them along with Arya and the Hound will end the war with Cersei. 

But of course I'm sure this is all old news. It's plain as day that that's how the war with Cersei ends and it's going to set up the series finale titled, A Song of Ice and Fire. (So predictable.)
    pssst it's The Second Sons not the Golden Company ;)
  • Again, I don’t see this as a “funny” ending since it being the end makes it not funny at all after all the characters have gone through. It reads that way on paper, but aligns to the show’s theme of fantasy subversion. 

I too saw it as a joke when previously offered as a theory, as that’s how most offering it knowingly intend it to be. I’m seriously stating it as a theory with merit based on continuously established plot lines. We don’t like it, but it suits the show’s overall message, as well as the current plot line—- even if we’ll never see it actually happen. 

The theory you offer cannot be supported by show’s story.
    edited May 9
    If we're going to be serious about it, the problem with Bronn taking the throne is the part about why would anyone follow him just because he shot a crossbow at someone.

He has no authority over anyone. He isn't even leader of the gold cloaks anymore and he has no money, only promises.

The dumb thing about the last scene he was in, even *if* Tyrion and Jaime were being truthful, they don't have the authority to make the deal that they made. It has to get cleared by Dany or Cersei first. All the other times deals were made with him, the deals made were actually legit, money in hand, unless circumstances changed.

If anything, what's going to be subverted is that the Lannisters won't be able to pay that debt.

(The other problem with this whole thing is that D&D have shown they have no subtlety. That came from Martin. They'll what they can, but subtlety isn't it.)
  • Fair point. I don't really address that in my post. Allow me to explain:

Obviously, there would have to be another wrinkle for that to happen, but before I go on, let's remember I am basing this on the show, not the books, meaning I don't think this would be how the book ends, but rather how the show portrays the general GRRM ending, which I attest will resemble what Bronn said last episode when Jamie tells Bronn the people of Highgarden will never belong to a cutthroat--

To this, Bronn says, "No? Who are your ancestors? The ones who made your family rich? Bunch of fancy lads in silk? They were fucking cutthroats. That's how all the great houses started: with a hard bastard who was good at killing people. Kill a few 100 people, they make you lord. Kill a few thousand, they make you KING. And then, all your cocksucking grandsons ruin the family with their cocksucking ways."

Bronn would have to have ONE  thing going for him (the quick version I wrote in the initial post wasn't a script, so I had to shortcut some details):

1A) He somehow kills a few thousand of Cersei's army (Dany's too, probably), ending the battle. I'm guessing he gets his hands on some wildfyre (it would be handwaved-- "You really think a little shit like you shows a fucker like me a basement full of wildfyre,  then puts me in charge of lighting the shit up against Stannis, and I DON'T grab a few viles for safe keeping? Fuck off.")

1B) He conspires with Qybern (maybe betrays him; maybe not---Qybern doesn't have to be killed, really. He could still be Hand to Bronn). 

1C) A million other ways---the point is---he wins over the people, in impressive, visable-to-all fashion. The people love him for ending the suffering caused by all these fucking "noble" houses, and Varys is proven right that power resides where people believe it to reside, so with the majority of the great houses of the realm decimated along with their armies, and the people already clamoring for change, Bronn becomes the candidate.

My point is this: GRRM's "bittersweet" ending comes to fruition:

The SWEET:
    Characters like Cersei  don't win. They get their just desserts

Characters like Jamie complete their redemption arcs, which should invovle sacrifice

The BITTER:
    Characters like Dany fall short of getting what they want ("it all")

Characters like Jon say "Fuck this."

Characters like Bronn (amoral bastards good at killing, like Aegon the Conquerer, Tywin Lannister, and Robert Baratheon) come out on top.

And the cycle begins anew. 

SanguinePenguin
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited May 10
    Anominal said:
    He isn't even leader of the gold cloaks anymore and he has no money, only promises.
    Cersei/Qyburn gave him an entire wagon full of gold to go north with. I doubt he returned to Kings Landing to give it back. The only reason he had to still pursue this task is the promise of being given a lordship and a huge castle.
    Anominal said:
    He isn't even leader of the gold cloaks anymore and he has no money, only promises.
    Cersei/Qyburn gave him an entire wagon full of gold to go north with. I doubt he returned to Kings Landing to give it back. The only reason he had to still pursue this task is the promise of being given a lordship and a huge castle.
    Yeah, I was thinking about that. Its hard to say how much that actually is worth because we're never told. And of course the show never even shows us, or gives any explanation as to where he put that cart. I
    He has one of those video game wallets that's holds all his gold that weight nothing no matter how much is in it.

But I don't think a couple carts is enough to convince people to accept him as king. 
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    My prediction:

I have a hard time thinking that discussion last season about Dany getting pregnant isn’t significant, especially since they’d planned stuff like Arya killing the NK prior to last season. 

Dany makes a point of telling him on the ship to make it clear she wouldn’t give them any kids. They return to it later when they talk after meeting Cersei and he says maybe the witch wasn’t a reliable source of information. 

Dany obviously has to live to bring that about, so I’m guessing Jon dies for good by the end of the season, possibly after she’s agreed he should rule. She ends up ruling and giving birth to Jon’s kid. He could become a Stark or a Targ depending on what she or everyone thinks is best. Seems to fill the bill on “bittersweet”.
  • edited May 11
    I don’t have all the details worked out in my head but I think Cersie and Jamie end up killing each other and leave the world together like the day they were born. 

The Mountian and the Hound battle it out and Arya somehow gets involved in the fighting and all 3 go down. 

Dany and Jon manage to “break the wheel” at the cost of Dany’s life. Jon after never really wanting to be a ruler and knowing that Stark men don’t last long in the South heads back North to be The Stark of Winterfell 

Sansa is given the throne by Jon and or Tyrion. Tyrion may or may not rekindle their marriage or be an advisor to her. 

Tyrion gets laid again. After finally getting some he realizes just how terrible an advisor he’s been while being celibate and vows to never deny himself again. Once he snaps his dry spell he’s back to being top Tyrion and begins his reign as #1 advisor again. 

Bran worgs  into a tree or something 
    Anominal said:
    Anominal said:
    Yeah, I was thinking about that. Its hard to say how much that actually is worth because we're never told. And of course the show never even shows us, or gives any explanation as to where he put that cart. I
    He has one of those video game wallets that's holds all his gold that weight nothing no matter how much is in it.

But I don't think a couple carts is enough to convince people to accept him as king. 
    It's definitely not worth the amount to make yourself king. But Jaime paid Bronn a sack full of gold before the loot train battle and they made that out to be a life-changing amount of money for someone who was already doing ok for himself.

I take it that if a sack full of gold is a that meaningful, then a wagon full of gold is preposterous amount of wealth.
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Just heard the boys talking about a lot of leaks floating about. So I’m going to be super cautious reading forums threads, especially the REALLY long ones that are very script-like. No accusations. I just don’t want all my years invested spoiled at the very end. 
    awookiee
    edited May 11
    Just heard the boys talking about a lot of leaks floating about. So I’m going to be super cautious reading forums threads, especially the REALLY long ones that are very script-like. No accusations. I just don’t want all my years invested spoiled at the very end. 
    These "leaks" are from the same people who have already been proven absolutely wrong this season. I dont believe any of it at this point.

I'm sure some people will throw something out there and it will be right just because there are only so many options of what can or will likely happen, but no one has a script leak like last season.
    Teresa from Concord
  • I can honestly say my initial and subsequent predictions are pure speculation, and I have no interest in being spoiled. 

My prediction unfolded  in my head from seeing Cleganebowl as the only “moment” the show has left, so the “ending” stems from there. 

I would like to be right because this version would satisfy me, regardless of the many flaws of these later seasons, with lyrical callbacks and fitting conclusions to character arcs. 

That being said, I think the showrunners will do something different, with maybe a few of these things coming to pass. 

Honestly, the  parts people seem to be consistently agreeing to are the hound/Arya/mountain fight and Cersei/Jamie killing one another/dying together. 

So GOT will probably, annoyingly, subvert those expectations, and otherwise give us some weird, silly ending. 

But I’m holding out on this: the last two seasons had me bothered by the bad writing two or three episodes before the finale, but then managed to wrap them up in a compelling fashion, so I’m hoping that trend continues.
    majjam0770
  • Can you explain "fan bankruptcy" for me?  I've heard the term for the first time today and now I've seen it a few times.

Thanks!
  • As I understand it, it means a person is no longer emotionally "invested" in the outcome of the events.
  • "And Daeny was killed by, oh I don't know, let's say Moe."
    Truth said:
    Can you explain "fan bankruptcy" for me?  I've heard the term for the first time today and now I've seen it a few times.

Thanks!
    I didn't like a lot of how last episode was written (I like how most of it was filmed though), but I'm not angry about it. I laughed through half the episode. I don't think that's the reaction D&D wanted, but that's what they're getting out of me now.
    Circling back to Bron. I talked to my brother yesterday before we watched the episode together. He interpreted the Bron with crossbow scene as Bron's good-bye scene. At this point, I'm thinking he's probably right and we don't see Bron at all in the finale.
  • ken hale said:
    As I understand it, it means a person is no longer emotionally "invested" in the outcome of the events.
    That’s what I was coming around to.  I listened to some more of their pods today and heard the phrase a few more times and I would agree with this definition.