Theory: Is Varys Testing Tyrion's loyalty?

Thinking over Vary's proposing that Jon may be the better king, it really is tough to see what Varys can actually do here. Assassinate Dany? That seems tough, but, any other way of trying to get Jon on the Iron Throne most likely results in him getting killed. He has always been smarter than that. He knows he can not help the people of the realm if he is dead. 

So, is it not possible that Dany and him (Varys) are actually testing Tyrion's loyalty? At the beginning of "Last of the Starks", we see Dany storm out of the feast, and Varys is the only one that follows her. It has not been a secret that Dany has grown suspicious of Tyrion's loyalty, after a series of wrong moves from Tyrion since they have arrived in Westeros. Dany has every right to wonder why many of Tyrion's moves have played well into Cersei's hands. By using one of the few remaining people that Tyrion trusts to talk openly with, is this her way of attempting to weed out any divided loyalty in Tyrions heart? 
MurderbearAll the Chickens

Comments

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited May 10
    My initial thought was like "pssh, nah."

And then I read the second paragraph. It's very intriguing. It would be really sad if Tyrion makes a move thinking Varys is there with him but turns out to be a setup. I certainly wouldn't want to see him go out like that.
    ben.d.knee
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    However after thinking about it, no way in hell she trusts Varys with that secret.
    ken hale
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited May 10
    I would not put this past them and it did cross my mind. I think my biggest problems with this are:

1) Dany's question about Tyrion's loyalty is all pointed at his loyalty towards his own family over her, not to Jon Snow or "Aegon Targaryen". 

2) Tyrion desperately trying to convince Varys not to do a treason at the end of their conversation makes the scene read very differently in that Tyrion passed the test with flying colors in retrospect, so what is the point in going back to say that was a test from a narrative perspective? It seems like Tyrion is still barely holding on to his loyalty going into this episode, so if he flips I would read that as being due to Dany going mad queen in this upcoming episode.

3) This "test" feels more like entrapment than anything. Varys had to press Tyrion hard to even get him to talk about it and Tyrion still didn't agree. So instead of rooting out an actual disloyal servant at that point, if Tyrion does betray her then all she would have done is successfully had a persuasive man that Tyrion trusts to work really hard to convince Tyrion to betray her. That just kind of makes Dany and Varys silly and stupid.

It would be like Jon asking Sansa to really work on convincing Lord Manderly that Jon is a bad guy and some other person should be KotN instead, then them both yelling "GOTCHA YOU TRAITOR!" after Lord Manderly is finally convinced by Sansa a while later after rejecting her traitorous ideas initially.
  • It rang true to me that Varys would talk about Dany behind her back like that. He's said before he only "serves the realm" and not one particular leader. We've seen him walk away from loyalties before. We had the scene where he tells Daenerys that he would tell her if he disagreed with her, and now is the time. So it's only logical that he is questioning her leadership at this point. Also- It's not as if Tyrion and Varys have any power over the fact that Jon has a better hereditary claim to the throne; they are just politicians trying to figure out what to do next. Varys has proven himself to be a pragmatist in the past in terms of saving his own ass as well, so it wouldn't surprise me if things are going wrong with Daenerys that Varys would take a step back.
    Dee

• Nope.
    Wow.  In hindsight, Varys probably should've just poisoned Dany while she was going nuts locked in her room.  Then told Jon to be King.  Instead he was writing letters?  That'll help.
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    ken hale said:

Instead he was writing letters?  That'll help.
    In the end, the pen was not mightier than the dragon.

Although I'm still unclear on if Varys was able to send any ravens before she sent guards to his room. Seems like he was writing those letters earlier in the day, then they flipped to Varys meeting Jon and then a scene of Tyrion telling on Varys, aaand then later the scene where guards grabbed him. Seemed like he had plenty of time to send out letters to multiple people.
    ken hale
  • True, but I kind of feel like even if he did send the ravens, the events this week kind of nullify that.  Unless he kills her in the immediate aftermath, like in the smoking ruins, Jon is going to be guilty by association.  Who cares if he's got Targaryean blood, that's a knock against him now.  There's no way this ends peacefully with anybody in Westeros supporting Jon the Targaryean King who burned King's Landing and murdered his incest bride.
  • tpelzytpelzy Dallas
    ken hale said:
    True, but I kind of feel like even if he did send the ravens, the events this week kind of nullify that.  Unless he kills her in the immediate aftermath, like in the smoking ruins, Jon is going to be guilty by association.  Who cares if he's got Targaryean blood, that's a knock against him now.  There's no way this ends peacefully with anybody in Westeros supporting Jon the Targaryean King who burned King's Landing and murdered his incest bride.
    Good point. If a bunch Dornish men roll up to fight Danny next week there's no way they'd turn around and support Jon, one of her top generals. 
    ken hale