805 - The Bells

Comments

• Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited May 13
    Boy if I was at all still invested in series long themes and narratives, I’d be real bummed out by this episode. Basically think they’ve sacrificed everything the books ever setup just for the sake of having the tv series be “different”. 

But I declared fan bankruptcy like, 3/4 seasons ago after season 5 was a real shitshow so I kind of don’t care about all that stuff anymore. 1-4 & 5-8 are two different shows and if you look at them as such, thing makes total sense. Everything tracks, including how lazy the production team got about not fixing minor shit. 

All that lead up to say, this was the best episode since Hardhome. Come at me.

Yeah it doesn’t make any fucking sense with what’s been set up for a long time, neither has anything else in this show for seasons. This episode looked gorgeous! Every single shot was like movie level quality! 

I’m very happy that once the show decided to just sort of half-ass all the narrative and character arcs, they committed to the spectacle 100%. I really want Arya to murder Dany and her dragon next week like a goddamn magic ninja and save the whole fucking world twice in a row because that’s sounds really stupid and also really cool and isn’t that what we’re all watching this show for now? Or you know, Dany murders Jon, and Tyrion, and everyone else. That also sounds cool. I basically just want dumb fun things to happen now. 
    hisdudeness915CapeGabemanhattnikrobojeevesmajjam0770ken haleElisabbordSchluppJTKIIIand 2 others.
  • Wow may just listen to another cast for this show. They are gonna be a super bummer and downer to listen to from here on out
    I stopped listening to these guys a long time ago. I used to find the podcast helpful in terms of keeping details straight but nowadays they are extremely arrogant like many other podcasters.

I'm basically just in the forum (under a different name than I used to use) because there were a few people here who I liked and I wanted to come back for GoT final season. I'm probably going to fuck off out of here again after GoT is over. (Anyone who knows me: Message me your social media of choice if you want to keep in touch.)
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited May 13
    Pretty much the only way they ruin next week for me at this point is for all the women to do all the work and then Jon lazy ass Snow sits on that throne and rules like fucking Aragorn for generations after putting in zero effort. That’s basically the only way they can ruin things for me now. 

Bring on the chaos!
    budesignsCeciliaMmanhattnikdarthfodderElisa
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    I hope something creates a video showing how Dany can easily become the mad queen. 

just a few examples I can think of. 

She makes a deal deal with the slavers for the unsullied and then goes back on the deal and kills the slaver and takes both the army and her dragon. 

She burns the Tully’s. 

She is so caught up with being the ruler and her right to rule that she threatens Jon and calls him out as a traitor. 

Honestly she has done nothing good besides free slaves. Which is why she struggles in Westeros. Because they are not slaves. They are people who can make their own decisions on who to follow and she struggles with it. She was never a good leader and she consistently leaned on violence to proof her leadership.  

She was never a good leader. Tell me one thing she did that showed diplomacy, patience, trust, respect and political gamesmanship. There isn’t one. Cuz she was never a good ruler. The series has been leading up to this moment. And I know a lot of people are pissed because they thought they followed the hero’s journey with Dany. But they didn’t. 

Cant wait for Sansa, Arya and Jon to put her in her place. 
    hisdudeness915Benmanhattnikb.larevSafetyKnifeUnderwood
  • OldGriswoldOldGriswold Brooklyn
    CeciliaM said:
    Wow may just listen to another cast for this show. They are gonna be a super bummer and downer to listen to from here on out
    I stopped listening to these guys a long time ago. I used to find the podcast helpful in terms of keeping details straight but nowadays they are extremely arrogant like many other podcasters.

I'm basically just in the forum (under a different name than I used to use) because there were a few people here who I liked and I wanted to come back for GoT final season. I'm probably going to fuck off out of here again after GoT is over. (Anyone who knows me: Message me your social media of choice if you want to keep in touch.)
    Do us all a favour and fuck off now then
    bbordJaimieTvisi0ndarthcaedus1138hiknmt07rockalittle85
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    Hatorian said:
    I hope something creates a video showing how Dany can easily become the mad queen. 

She makes a deal deal with the slavers for the unsullied and then goes back on the deal and kills the slaver and takes both the army and her dragon. 

She burns the Tully’s. 

She is so caught up with being the ruler and her right to rule that she threatens Jon and calls him out as a traitor. 

Honestly she has done nothing good besides free slaves. Which is why she struggles in Westeros. Because they are not slaves. They are people who can make their own decisions on who to follow and she struggles with it. She was never a good leader and she consistently leaned on violence to proof her leadership.  

She was never a good leader. Tell me one thing she did that showed diplomacy, patience, trust, respect and political gamesmanship. There isn’t one. Cuz she was never a good ruler. The series has been leading up to this moment. And I know a lot of people are pissed because they thought they followed the hero’s journey with Dany. But they didn’t. 

You forgot the 487 times she declares “I am your Queen!”
    HatorianBenCeciliaMmanhattnikdarthfodderDoctor_Nick
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    I don’t think the walking dead comparison is fair when it comes to characters surviving when they should die.

its a problem for sure but it’s ALWAYS been a problem. That’s been the biggest gripe I’ve had with this show, I never believe when someone dies. But then again, that’s a problem a lot of shows have nowadays. Since it’s such an easy “gotcha moment”, everyone does it. 

Everyone wanted to give GOT credit for never being scared to kill characters but they’re just as scared as every other show. 
  • Lol so it's not OK for Arya to learn from the Hound and quit her petty vengeance tour in favor of going to live a life (literally and figuratively)? It was poetic that the Hounds last gift to someone he loves was to talk her into not sacrificing her life just to kill someone on her dumb list who was dead anyway.

And yeah, I hope Arya goes after Dany. That would be great. Killing Dany at this would would be a great, needed deed. And after everything Arya just experienced, it make perfect sense. 
    I thought the Arya scene with the Hound was great. Do we want Arya to just be a murder robot? Or do we want her to have a chance at a non-horrible life? That being the Hound's final gift to her was a fantastic moment. She even called him Sandor, when before IIRC she always called him Clegane or the Hound, if anything. 

I hope she doesn't kill Dany. I want this to be the end of the arc for her. She remembers her humanity. Go get Gendry if that's what you want Arya. Ride that magic white horse into the sunset if that's what you want. Do you girl. 

I actually quite liked the way Cersei died. Sometimes important people die in mundane ways. Maester Aemon died from getting cold. 

Also, remember everyone, the Valonquar prophesy was explicitly NOT in the show. So it's not like they fed us a line. Although I dunno if Dany with the Crazy Eyes can be considered "more beautiful" lol. 

And look, I get being disappointed in the show. SW was probably the most important piece of fiction and culture in my entire life until I was well into high school I was 14 when episode one came out. I was convinced it was going to be the greatest thing I had ever seen. GoT has not been the show we hoped it would be this season. That's a bummer, but at the end of the day, it's just entertainment that wasn't as entertaining as we'd hoped. 

CeciliaMawookieemajjam0770robojeevesrkcrawf
  • Ok so about the episode- I thought the tension was great during the moments when you're waiting for the bells to ring, you know the bells are going to ring because everyone says "ring the bells" and then they ring the bells, with Daenerys sitting there on Drogon the whole time, you're thinking... what if she can't hear them? What if she does some kind of loophole where she starts burning down the city before they actually ring the bells even though everybody already knows that the bells are going to ring? But no! She sits there waiting, the bells ring, everyone but Cersei is saved, and then she BURNS DOWN THE CITY ANYWAY! I thought it was a great buildup to that moment.

I find Arya's survival somewhat unbelievable given what she went through, and I think they could have made it more believable. She's good at getting in and out of situations but if you see dragon fire take her over and then she's still alive.. What? But the scene where she rode away on a horse was kind of cool. And the makeup job they did on her was great.

Cleganebowl lived up to the hype. Cersei and Jaime dying together has a certain justice. And that's a pretty horrible death, right? Not really a death to sneer at. 
    majjam0770ken hale
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    Hatorian said:

She burns the Tully’s. 

And, as a I've probably posted on this forum multiple times: that time she burned an innocent man alive and fed him to her dragons just in hope of striking fear into another innocent man so that he would confess to a crime he didnt commit. No trial. No evidence of wrong doing. And it didnt even work to get a confession.

She then proposed marriage to that other innocent man later in the same episode.

But nah, THEY TOTALLY BUTCHERED HER CHARACTER Y'ALL 
    hisdudeness915HatorianCeciliaMmanhattnikawookieemajjam0770b.larevdarthfoddervisi0nhoos30and 2 others.
  • BenBen Melbourne - Australia
    CeciliaM said:
    Wow may just listen to another cast for this show. They are gonna be a super bummer and downer to listen to from here on out

Charming. Is their any need to get personal? 
    MFGrkcrawf
  • Ben said:
    Its a real shame that all the negatives have seem to have gotten on top of the guys. I get that it must be hard to be under a barrage of negativity and still maintain objectivity but I hoped they might. Criticism is fine, Nitpicking is just dull to listen too. Hell even breaking bad and the leftovers had their flaws. 
    A-Ron and Jim are grown ass men who can form their own opinions. I would doubt they would let outsiders structure their opinions. This season has been very divisive. Respect their opinion even if it doesn’t match yours. Don’t accuse them of forming opinions based on what other fans have to say.
    Benkojiattwoodmajjam0770ken haleElisabbordrustywright4darthcaedus1138jenetee
    As for the episode:

Miguel Sapochnik can shoot the shit out of anything. This, like Battle of the Bastards and The Long Night was visually beautiful. The story was a piece of turd aside from the quiet moments, the Arya/Hound stuff (especially her calling him Sandor), the Tyrion holding Varys wrist bit, the goodbye to Jaime bit, but for the most part I'm treating the final episodes as very good trash TV rather than the deeper character driven storylines from the past.

Cleganebowl was a let down for me but I appreciated it at least wasn't the Hound defeating with sword alone a man mountain zombie unkillable being. I also appreciated Jon not being able to stop the descent back into war once they all realised Dany DGAF
    ken haledarthfodderElisadarthcaedus1138rkcrawf
  • Ben said:
    CeciliaM said:

It doesn't matter. Par for the course. Hashtag internet
  • JTKIII said:
    Ben said:
    Its a real shame that all the negatives have seem to have gotten on top of the guys. I get that it must be hard to be under a barrage of negativity and still maintain objectivity but I hoped they might. Criticism is fine, Nitpicking is just dull to listen too. Hell even breaking bad and the leftovers had their flaws. 
    A-Ron and Jim are grown ass men who can form their own opinions. I would doubt they would let outsiders structure their opinions. This season has been very divisive. Respect their opinion even if it doesn’t match yours. Don’t accuse them of forming opinions based on what other fans have to say.
    As grown-ass men surely they don't need us forum-posters riding to their rescue either (on a magical white horse perhaps?) =P 
    CeciliaMmanhattnik
  • BenBen Melbourne - Australia
    JTKIII said:
    Ben said:
    That why I wrote “seems” to have gotten on top of them. I do respect their opinion otherwise I wouldn’t have forked out $6-$9 (aud) a month for the last few years. I’m sure they’ve mentioned themselves on a cast or two that it’s hard when you can’t just sit back and watch as a fan. 
    Hatorian said:

She burns the Tully’s. 

And, as a I've probably posted on this forum multiple times: that time she burned an innocent man alive and fed him to her dragons just in hope of striking fear into another innocent man so that he would confess to a crime he didnt commit. No trial. No evidence of wrong doing. And it didnt even work to get a confession.

She then proposed marriage to that other innocent man later in the same episode.

Exactly. This isn’t a change of character. This has been something they have been leading up to for Seasons. Anyone who just shrugs off Dany’s mass murders of people and shouts bullshit is just a fanboy of her character unfortunately. She’s never, ever, ever shown the qualities of a good ruler. 
    hisdudeness915manhattnikdarthfodder
  • Hatorian said:

She burns the Tully’s. 

yeah she's more appealing when she's breaking chains and freeing slaves and whatnot but she's always been brutal and she's always had a sense of entitlement that doesn't really bear on anything. 
    majjam0770hoos30
  • manhattnikmanhattnik the big apple
    So this whole TV series was about Dany coming back to finish what her daddy started? 
    Elisa
    Ben said:
    CeciliaM said:

Probably not. Apologies on that front. Not sure what someone is expecting though when they essentially call the hosts arrogant AF like the rest of the podcasting world without evidence and that they plan to leave after the next episode anyway.  Ironic really.
    Benbbordrustywright4
  • Ben said:
    CeciliaM said:

Probably not. Apologies on that front. Not sure what someone is expecting though when they essentially call the hosts arrogant AF like the rest of the podcasting world without evidence and that they plan to leave after the next episode anyway.  Ironic really.
    Without evidence? I'm not writing a thesis. 

Anyways it was shown last year that this is not a place for me. I typically avoid places where one can't feel safe using their real name. But I broke my rule out of nostalgia. Thanks for reminding me of it again!

But let's not talk about me any more, there might be like 4 people who care and everyone else is here for the episode. 
    ken haleJaimieTrkcrawfPreservedKillick
    So this whole TV series was about Dany coming back to finish what her daddy started? 
    Well that would be some fine writing. Talk about full circle
    CeciliaMmanhattnikdarthfodderElisa
  • LordByLordBy Utah
    edited May 13
    CeciliaM said:
    Ok so about the episode- I thought the tension was great during the moments when you're waiting for the bells to ring, you know the bells are going to ring because everyone says "ring the bells" and then they ring the bells, with Daenerys sitting there on Drogon the whole time, you're thinking... what if she can't hear them? What if she does some kind of loophole where she starts burning down the city before they actually ring the bells even though everybody already knows that the bells are going to ring? But no! She sits there waiting, the bells ring, everyone but Cersei is saved, and then she BURNS DOWN THE CITY ANYWAY! I thought it was a great buildup to that moment.

I find Arya's survival somewhat unbelievable given what she went through, and I think they could have made it more believable. She's good at getting in and out of situations but if you see dragon fire take her over and then she's still alive.. What? But the scene where she rode away on a horse was kind of cool. And the makeup job they did on her was great.

Cleganebowl lived up to the hype. Cersei and Jaime dying together has a certain justice. And that's a pretty horrible death, right? Not really a death to sneer at. 

My 16 year old is sitting next to me asking why she doesn’t just burn the Red Keep to the ground after she’s done with the Golden Company (point of which being in the show was what?) with Cersi in it which is who she really hates anyway? Why bother burning the city itself?

I struggled to explain it. Basically: she’s “mad”
    CeciliaMkojiattwoodken halebbordrustywright4
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    Anyone who thinks that other people don't affect the opinions of others, even *gasps* podcasters, is kidding themselves.

Especially with people who get on reddit. The hatred towards something is a snowball effect in those communities that shouts down all positivity and level-headed thinking.  General audiences are mostly enjoying the episodes, but you probably won't catch them on r/asoiaf stanning for Dany.
    BenasmallcatGraffin_Dirtybloodrkcrawf
    CeciliaM said:
    Ben said:
    CeciliaM said:

Without evidence? I'm not writing a thesis. 

Anyways it was shown last year that this is not a place for me. I typically avoid places where one can't feel safe using their real name. But I broke my rule out of nostalgia. Thanks for reminding me of it again!

But let's not talk about me any more, there might be like 4 people who care and everyone else is here for the episode. 
    I disagree with your posting, tone, style and substance. I know your name because I've been here a while, but I'm not going to Google your address and swing by to tell you in person FFS.
    bbordJaimieTrustywright4
  • @allAll the Chickens said:@All the Chickens I don’t know how anyone can say this is outside of her character. It’s predictable...based on her character arc. It’s understandable. But it’s not out of character 
    manhattnik
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited May 13
    I'm not sure what show people have been watching if they thought that was in character for Dany. She had literally just won the battle and achieved everything she's been fighting for since season one. Then she just decided to burn down the city, killing thousands of innocent people in the process, because ???? I guess the explanation was the coin landed on crazy? It goes against everything Dany has been for the past 8 seasons.

I guess it's a decent metaphor for the Double D's. Things didn't go as planned, they're not universally loved and praised, so fuck it, burn it all down. There are thousands of ways they could have made it at least somewhat believable that snapped, but to have her snap because their battle plan went exactly as planned and the win was too easy may be the most ridiculous decision in the history of TV. Not earned whatsoever.

And you want to start nitpicking? How does Jaime get captured and made a prisoner by the same army he was just fighting with to rid the world of the Night King? Was he trotting down the road, yelling to everyone that he'd switched sides again?

It's too bad the script was such trash because there were some fantastic technical things going on this episode.
    ken haleElisarustywright4darthcaedus1138hiknmt07
  • I don't understand the hate for Bald Move for giving their opinions, people who are disappointed in the show and just anyone who has a different opinion.

Entertainment is subjective. We can all still be civil. I fell out with this show last season and still read people's opinion that like the show and find interesting things.

There seems to be the opinion that this is a Game of Thrones fan club and the dissenters are trolls intruding on the show lover's safe space shitting all over the place.

Myself I am someone who loved the first three books, meh on the last two and loved the show until GRRM screwed everyone over by falling way behind. When he forced the Double D's to write fan fiction they didn't do a good job at it and instead of hiring real writers decided to write it themselves.

I watch the show because it is the only ending I'll ever get to see most likely.

If I point out horrible writing and bad character development it isn't an attack on those who still love the show but on the hacks that are writing it now.

My opinion is just as valid as anyone's and if you get bent out of shape because of something I say it is pretty sad.

It is tiresome that so many here feel the need to attack the dissenters. I haven't seen any attacks from the dissenters saying the people who like the show should shut up and go away.

I love all you Official Unofficials because we weren't like all the other online communities that tear themselves apart. Maybe I was wrong.
    kojiattwoodOldGriswoldDuckofdoomJTKIIIawookieeweeniegirlken haleMurderbearElisabbordand 10 others.
  • LordBy said:
    CeciliaM said:
    Ok so about the episode- I thought the tension was great during the moments when you're waiting for the bells to ring, you know the bells are going to ring because everyone says "ring the bells" and then they ring the bells, with Daenerys sitting there on Drogon the whole time, you're thinking... what if she can't hear them? What if she does some kind of loophole where she starts burning down the city before they actually ring the bells even though everybody already knows that the bells are going to ring? But no! She sits there waiting, the bells ring, everyone but Cersei is saved, and then she BURNS DOWN THE CITY ANYWAY! I thought it was a great buildup to that moment.

My 16 year old is sitting next to me asking why she doesn’t just burn the Red Keep to the ground after she’s done with the Golden Company (point of which being in the show was what?) with Cersi in it which is who she really hates anyway? Why bother burninnthe city itself?

I struggled to explain it. Basically: she’s “mad”
    She decided she needed fear to rule. So she's instilling fear in case people find out Jon is "the rightful heir" and think they can topple her easily. She wants to show she can win a war by herself (well, with her "child") and doesn't "really" need the North, the Dothraki, the Unsullied or any other army. If she had stood down when the bells rang, there was no guarantee she was going to sit on the Iron Throne without instilling fear in people.
    MurderbeardarthfodderAussieGreghoos30rkcrawf
    Anyone who thinks that other people don't affect the opinions of others, even *gasps* podcasters, is kidding themselves.

Especially with people who get on reddit. The hatred towards something is a snowball effect in those communities that shouts down all positivity and level-headed thinking.  General audiences are mostly enjoying the episodes, but you probably won't catch them on r/asoiaf stanning for Dany.
    If people want a podcast that is on the writers side, go listen to Joanna Robinson. J&A, even when I disagree with them, always say they'll not sway their opinions to bring in more money or fandom. I listen to hear their take, not to hear my own take.
    bbordjeneteerockalittle85