Daenerys Communism/Soviet Russia Comparison(spoilers up to EP5)

HatorianHatorian Dagobah
edited May 13 in Game of Thrones

So after tonight’s episodes Ive thought hard that maybe danerys is a symbolism for communism and specifically soviet Russia. 

I mean before the communist revolution it was an autocracy. The revolution was to “break the chains and free the people from the rule of single powers”

Not to mention she comes from the East and the Dothraki can clearly be seen as stand ins for nomadic/Ural/Caucasian armies. 

Lastly she promises freedom and fair trial but completely burns to the ground her enemies in spite. Just as Russia and communism did. Also she has no intentions of ever providing a democratic rule. She clearly wants to rule and has many facist qualities as other leaders. 

Also after WW2 was won the soviets clearly became the enemy of the west. The west made alliances with them but quickly realised the error of their ways and understood they faced an entirely new enemy. Lots of parallels. 

Comments

• I think you're giving the writers way too much credit. 

Here's what I think happened - GRRM had a plot point that Dany would go mad, with no real explanation of how to get there, and this is what the writers came up with to get there. That's basically it. 

Also, god if we get another "people from the east are strange and foreign and can't be trusted" trope in a fantasy story just kill me. GRRM already treads dangerously close to that, and it's based on some pretty euro-centric viewpoints, so I don't think we need more of it TBQH. 
    ken haleAnominal
  • Season 8 is clearly meant to mirror the US presidential election.
    Jon, more popular, mostly supported by rural folk, loves walls. Jon = Don.
    Dany, crazy lady, mostly supported by minorities.
    Think about it people!
    #MakeWesterosGreatAgain
    alexander.klassenmajjam0770Dee
  • MikeO said:
    Season 8 is clearly meant to mirror the US presidential election.
    Jon, more popular, mostly supported by rural folk, loves walls. Jon = Don.
    Dany, crazy lady, mostly supported by minorities.
    Think about it people!
    #MakeWesterosGreatAgain
    Well, D&D were trying to make a series about the Confederacy. Maybe they channelled that energy into GoT...
  • I thing you can abstract it further, and just say that according to the show, absolute power corrupts absolutely. If you can burn all your enemies to a crisp on a whim, there's only so long you can go before doing so.
    majjam0770ken hale
  • I thing you can abstract it further, and just say that according to the show, absolute power corrupts absolutely. If you can burn all your enemies to a crisp on a whim, there's only so long you can go before doing so.
    Your enemies, sure.  I wish they'd more artfully shown Dany's rampage killing innocents, instead of her going straight at all the smallfolk.  Like, what the fuck was that?