Golden Company - S08E05

So, was there any point in bringing in the Golden Company this season for storyline purposes?  They didn't do anything.  Hell, at one point they even surrendered.  Was the only point in adding them in to make it seem like Cersei has a chance?  Just seems pointless.  Would have expected a little more from them, that's all.
telephoneofmadnessrkcrawf

Comments

• All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    So, was there any point in bringing in the Golden Company this season for storyline purposes?  They didn't do anything.  Hell, at one point they even surrendered.  Was the only point in adding them in to make it seem like Cersei has a chance?  Just seems pointless.  Would have expected a little more from them, that's all.
    They were roasted by dragon fire before the battle started. What exactly could you expect out of them?
    Also, the Lannister army are the ones who surrendered, not the Golden Company. Because why should they die for some queen they don't like? It's always been the case with Cersei-- she doesn't inspire loyalty, only fear (as she plainly stated). When something more fearful comes along, why would anyone fight for her?

And even if the Golden Company had surrendered (they didn't), that would have been completely on brand for a sellsword army.
    gguenotbrowniefive
  • Unless I'm mistaken, wasn't that them in the middle throwing down their swords?  Or was that Lannister or Kingsguard?  Thought it was the Golden Company.  But even if it wasn't and they were just outside the walls getting roasted, still from a strictly storyline purpose, the Golden Company added nothing.  They show up and get annihilated and that's it.  Basically, my point is if the DDs wanted to even up the storyline, then say Cersei got random soliders form somewhere else in Westeros and not a prestigious fighters such as Golden Company. 

• The Golden Company was just to even out the odds pre-battle. And to pay some service to the books regarding the elephants. 
    Murderbearbbord

Unless I'm mistaken, wasn't that them in the middle throwing down their swords?  Or was that Lannister or Kingsguard?  Thought it was the Golden Company.  But even if it wasn't and they were just outside the walls getting roasted, still from a strictly storyline purpose, the Golden Company added nothing.  They show up and get annihilated and that's it.  Basically, my point is if the DDs wanted to even up the storyline, then say Cersei got random soliders form somewhere else in Westeros and not a prestigious fighters such as Golden Company. 

The ones who threw down their swords in front of Jon and Greyworm were Lannister soldiers wearing Lannister armor.

They show up and get annihilated and that's it.  Basically, my point is if the DDs wanted to even up the storyline, then say Cersei got random soliders form somewhere else in Westeros and not a prestigious fighters such as Golden Company. 

That's reality man. Things (armies/battles) don't  always live up to epic expectations. This was a slaughter rather than a battle, and they were burned to a cinder by a dragon before the land battle began. 

I'm glad that this wasn't some pitched battle in the middle of a field outside of the gates. What happened was far more satisfying and believable to me.
  • edited May 13
    Those were definetely Lannister soldiers surrendering. 

I think the sellswords were kind of a nod to book readers, the golden company plays a much bigger role supporting another contender for the throne. In the lore they have defeated Dothraki, I am not sure if they ever fought against Unsullied.
    With the dragon wearing plot armor any military strategy  was pointless anyhow but I think both the golden company and the Lannisters sold themselves short fighting Danys soldiers. If they had spear throwing elephants they might have stood a chance. :-)
    It's good to see that the Dothraki have learned how to kill man wearing armor thanks to Jorah.

• FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Show up without elephants: get got.
    All the ChickensgguenotSanguinePenguinSchlupptelephoneofmadnessken hale
  • I get that this was probably more of a nod to the books readers and that the DDs needed to even the playing field in terms of numbers for Dany's army vs. Cersei's army, but still, the Golden Company is suppose to be an elite fighting force.  Just expected something out of them otherwise, why even get them involved in the story.
  • budesignsbudesigns Tega Cay, SC
    Just to get you excited, and then subvert your expectations.
    SanguinePenguintelephoneofmadnessken halebbord