Chernobyl. Episode 2: Please Remain Calm

cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
Directed By:  Johan Renck (All Episodes)
Written By:  Craig Mazin  (All Episodes)

Looking forward to this!  I want to move on from Episode 5 GoT talk and get into some of this tonight.  
kojiattwood

Comments

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    For a faster move-on, try Barry.
    cdrive
  • calebthrowercalebthrower South Carolina
    edited May 14
    Unreal. Such a great suspense piece and knowing it’s real makes it that much more terrifying 
    CapeGabenstinson
  • This might be the best show I've watched since The Leftovers.
    CapeGabegguenotrkcrawfcdrivenstinsonken haleBroRad33bbord
    This might be the best show I've watched since The Leftovers.

It has a similar vibe. 
    rkcrawf
  • JaimieT said:

It has a similar vibe. 
    When the German Shepard was chasing the evac bus I thought: "They're not our dogs, not anymore."
    Bhorten1Reninstinsonbbord
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    I can’t remember the last time I’ve watched an episode where every single second was powerful.
    Bhorten1CapeGabeMFG
  • edited May 14
    Great series so far.

Horror movies do nothing for me. THIS is a real horror movie for me. Ignorant, incompetent and arrogant people getting innocent people sick or dead is real terror to me.

Both episodes have had me so anxious watching that I can feel myself relax when the credits roll.

As usual The Greater Skarsgård kills it. (minor spoilers for those who haven't watched yet) 
    The scene where Jared Harris tells him they'll be dead in 5 years and Stellan just sits down as that washes over him was fantastic.
    I did a quick Internet search and 400 rubles in 1986 was equivalent to just under $300 USD today. Sure that's about what a life is worth.

JaimieTkojiattwoodken hale
  • Holy fuck. That ending was wild 
  • AnominalAnominal San Francisco Bay Area
    JaimieT said:

It has a similar vibe. 
    When the German Shepard was chasing the evac bus I thought: "They're not our dogs, not anymore."
    Non-spoiler, youtuber that travels the world looking at games of various cultures made a stop at Chernobyl and did a short video on the puppies there and how you are not supposed to touch them.

The puppies of Chernobyl
    johnnytruant
  • So the episode was amazing. 

I have a question though:

Revelation 8:11

“And the name of the star is called Wormwood: and the third part of the waters became wormwood; and many men died of the waters, because they were made bitter.” 

Who-DA FUCK- names a nuclear reactor after a meteor that essentially ends the fucking world??

I mean, I’m not *super*stitious, but I’m enough stitious that I’m not naming my potentially world ending power plant after a world ending meteor. 

I’m not even kidding. I get that it just ended up being called that... but really??  Really??  Not one person thought that was bad fucking luck?

Can we please stop calling ships stuff like “terror” and “chaos bringer,” and maybe not name our terrifying fate-mocking technology after a meteor from a book in the Bible about the end of the world. 

No one ever resorted to cannibalism  on the “HMS Unicorn”, and the “Rainbow Reactor Facility” probably wouldn’t almost kill Europe. 

I mean—come on. 

The episode was great though. Those flashlights going out was scarier than every horror movie I have ever seen. 

gguenotBloodyTaconstinson
  • Great episode. Skarsgard should tell Valery that he doesn’t know nuclear physics, but he did win the Fields Medal. 
    kojiattwood
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Man. I agree about the horror stuff. I can fall asleep to conjuring. But the last scene I was holding my breath. The increasing sound of the diometer and the flashlights slowing going out was awesome. 
    darwinfeeshy
  • Great tension without unnecessary puking.

I'm loving this so far.
    edited May 14
    @gjulleen Nope I think you're full on superstitious. ;) There's a lot of cognitive bias in your "argument." Not sure how serious you are though. 
  • rkcrawf said:
    Great episode. Skarsgard should tell Valery that he doesn’t know nuclear physics, but he did win the Fields Medal. 
    He knew enough to take the reactor to 110% hunting Marko Ramius
    rkcrawf
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    JaimieT said:
    @gjulleen Nope I think you're full on superstitious. ;) There's a lot of cognitive bias in your "argument." Not sure how serious you are though. 

kuman07
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City
    This is the best show on TV right now. I liked how they explained a lot of the science behind it in a way the average person could at least get an idea of what all of it means. 
    "It's hardly a simple answer"
    "Presume I am too stupid to understand"
    FreddycdriveBloodyTacoBroRad33
  • JaimieT said:
    There’s some tongue-in-cheek there, but I guess I prefer not to walk under a ladder if I can help it, even though I know it’s fine. 

Naming something you actively dont don’t want to destroy the world after something that is prophesied to end the world just seems unnecessary to me!  
    @kuman07 It really is. Other than it being a fascinating story, it's exceptionally well done. Even the best shows on TV feel like TV; this feels like a top tier movie.
    kuman07
  • Freddy said:
    @kuman07 It really is. Other than it being a fascinating story, it's exceptionally well done. Even the best shows on TV feel like TV; this feels like a top tier movie.
    This show might be the most compelling thing I’ve seen in a long time. I was anticipating watching it all day, and as soon as I got off work I started it up. 

I haven't felt this same level of compulsion since the first season of Lost. And there are no mysteries here for me. I know what happens. It’s the journey that I’m here for, and I’m absolutely horrified to be on it, but no way am I getting out. 

This show may be one of the best written things I’ve seen in a very long time. 
    gguenotJaimieT
  • gjulleen said:
    Freddy said:
    This show might be the most compelling thing I’ve seen in a long time. I was anticipating watching it all day, and as soon as I got off work I started it up. 

I haven't felt this same level of compulsion since the first season of Lost. And there are no mysteries here for me. I know what happens. It’s the journey that I’m here for, and I’m absolutely horrified to be on it, but no way am I getting out. 

I’m the same way. I haven’t stopped thinking about it from last night. I even dreamt about it. My wife went to bed early and she’s going to watch it tonight and I told her to wait for me because I want to see it again!
    edited May 14
    gjulleen said:
    JaimieT said:
    There’s some tongue-in-cheek there, but I guess I prefer not to walk under a ladder if I can help it, even though I know it’s fine. 

Naming something you actively dont don’t want to destroy the world after something that is prophesied to end the world just seems unnecessary to me!  

We have proof that ladders sometimes fall, so I can't criticize you there; it isn't always fine. There's no proof that a name has any correlation to the performance of a piece of technology. Anyway, off topic! (my fault)

gjulleen said:
    Freddy said:

Yeah I really wish I could binge this.
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    edited May 14
    gguenot said:
    gjulleen said:
    Freddy said:

I’m the same way. I haven’t stopped thinking about it from last night. I even dreamt about it. My wife went to bed early and she’s going to watch it tonight and I told her to wait for me because I want to see it again!
    Me too, man. I am obsessed with this show.  I mentioned in another Chernobyl thread how I watched Chernobyl 3828 on YT.  Those poor blokes were tying pieces of lead sheeting to their chests and the back of their heads.  When they took pictures of "elephant's foot" they had to do it with a camera on a rover shooting a picture of a mirror they put around the corner cause the radiation would fry out the camera, which is probably what happened to those flashlights.  

It's crazy too cause as far as I know, this is the 1st time Craig Mazin has written high-brow serious drama.  Johan Renck has directed some really cool shit, but this Mazin guy's portfolio is a big surprise going to this.  

On the drive in today I started the HBO podcast for this episode.  I highly recommend it if people aren't on that yet.  It's fantastic with Mazin taking you through the history and the real life events that they pulled from, and what he wishes he could have shot but couldn't for time purposes.  Then they go to bytes from Jared Harris and Stellan Skarsgard.  Just some really nice lagniappe to a great show.  
  • Great episode. This series is genuinely terrifying. 
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    Man, that sound of the decimeters or whatever getting louder and louder as they get closer to the radiation is bone-chilling. Major Descent vibes in that last scene
    JaimieTdarwinfeeshyDee
  • Man, that sound of the decimeters or whatever getting louder and louder as they get closer to the radiation is bone-chilling. Major Descent vibes in that last scene
    Without any light and being lost in a maze of pipes, one can only assume that they are going to eventually have to take those suits off once the oxygen goes and your imagination is left to create the horror theyre going to experience. Brilliant
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    Loved it, as mentioned above you notice your muscles are tense only after the fact. 

Really liking the subtle portrayal of 80s Soviet politics, everybody is very un-ironically beholden to the State, and it's not done with a dictatorship attitude with the underlings secretly resenting the power structure. You genuinely feel that it's how these characters genuinely feel the world should work.

The *only* scene that took me out of the show was when they were on the plane and Skarsgard turns and says "tell me how a nuclear reactor works". I realize this is done to fill in the audience on exactly that, but I don't want it to feel like they're just staring directly into the camera with a wink and a nod for the explicit purpose of spewing information at us. This show makes you both feel as helpless as half of the lackeys running around and at the same time makes you want to do a deep dive of your own research. I think the people that care about the logistics of a nuclear reactor are already 27 pages deep on Wikipedia while the episode is playing, the ones that don't are enjoying just the feeling of dread not knowing WTF is going on.

JaimieT
  • JeffreyJeffrey Des Moines
    Man, that sound of the decimeters or whatever getting louder and louder as they get closer to the radiation is bone-chilling. Major Descent vibes in that last scene
    I do want to know if the devices really give off audible sounds like that or whether it was an invention for the show. But yeah, I agree it was just terrifying.
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    Jeffrey said:
    I do want to know if the devices really give off audible sounds like that or whether it was an invention for the show. But yeah, I agree it was just terrifying.

Geiger counters certainly do, don't see why these would be any different.

darwinfeeshyJeffrey