The character they failed the most

For so long I have blamed the downfall of the show from first the inability to capture the vast nature of the novels and then on the lack of source material. However, this latest installment made clear that the fault is truly on the Double D's as it was not the story they were telling that was so cring-y but them undoing the arcs of these character that took hours of television and thousands of pages to capture.

This most grievous case is found in the character of Jaime. Jaime Lannister, has in some ways, the most compelling and transformation arc of any character in the entire series. He drives himself to be better not through a miracle of bringing 3 dragons into the world, or by becoming a quasi magic assassin, but because he's done bad things and really truly wants to be better. Jaime's shift away from Cersei and move towards Brienne shows him choosing a life of doing good and contributing to a purpose larger than the Lannister name, and shallow love and adoration. Jaime looking Cersei in the eye and saying, "I don't believe you." cemented his path, he is in my opinion the most human character in the series - a man who is given everything, only to lose it, and rebuild himself as a true Knight. I think in a sense Jaime's Knighting of Brienne represented his cleansing and forgiving himself for the murder of Aerys Targarean and rising a better man. His relationship with Brienne did not need to become physically romantic, especially if they intended for him to die with Cersei, but it also simply did not make their relationship more compelling. Their relationship was so interesting because it was based in respect of character and not on physical attributes, to have them consummate this union only happened for the version of Jaime to be able to realize he is a conceded excuse of a Knight after all. Jaime dies the Kingslayer with near no one understanding what he did to save them during the fall of Aerys, and we're expected to believe this same man's main objective during Daenerys' attack is to fight some guy for banging his sister, really?

Jaime's journey back to Cersei undid every single moment of his character starting episode 2. He feels no remorse for Brienne, is driven to fight Euron only because of jealousy.

Jaime needed to kill Cersei for his story to be complete, to kill Cersei - to save the city from (at least one if not both) Mad Queen(s) was his destiny - and instead he was smooshed accidentally by a pile of bricks - clutching a women who was probably faking a pregnancy to manipulate whichever man was the closest to her.

The Double D's seem to have become so obsessed with telling a story no one has guessed that they're willing to run characters into the ground just to shock people. They have created characters so weak and one dimensional that even during perhaps the most fantastic cinematic hour of television of all time all people could say was, what they fuck?
DummyJTKIII

Comments

• Sorry but I disagree completely.  This is pure opinion as everybody watches and understands the show in different ways but I feel Jaime's character arc was perfectly concluded the way they ended the series.  I'd be willing to bet Jaime's return to Cersei and dying together is one of the plot points that GRRM gave to the Double Ds.  Did Jaime have feelings for Brienne, yes.  That much was very clear, but he's had an entire lifetime worth of feelings for only Cersei.  He made a turn towards the better when he stayed in Winterfell with Brienne but as soon as he learned the situation that Cersei was in he had to do something because he truly loves and cares about Cersei.  This is directed more at the people that immediately thought Jaime was going to Kings Landing to kill Cersei but do you really think he went back to kill the woman that is carrying his child?  Cersei had a firm grasp on his heart no matter how horrible of a person she was.  Tyrion even said something along the lines of you knew exactly what she was and you still stayed by her side.  Is it the way I wanted Jaime to die, no but there was more than enough evidence in my eyes that this is true to the character they put on screen.
    gguenotKS123FlukesSanguinePenguin
  • I see Jaime as an addict who tried really hard, fooled us and even himself for a long time. But he is who he is, whether he wanted to be that person or not.  Sometimes addicts go years and years without a slip up and then it just happens. We all hate Cersei and see her for what she is but Jaime cannot. I also think it was part of GRRM's plan for them to die together. I don't like it and they didn't deserve the comfort they were able to give each other but I think it rings true. 
    Marci
  • Not really sure the killing your sister / love / unborn child angle works in the HBO show... Its not a redeeming arc or anything like that just a horrific act. 

For me Cersei has not been portrayed evil enough recently or enough of a threat for it to work.
    rkcrawf
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited May 14
    How did it undo his character arc? Jaime didn't go there to stand beside his sister while she did horrible things. He went there to potentially save his sister knowing that they would likely die, at the end of all things. And he died in Cersei's arms, the exact same way that Jaime literally stated he wanted to leave this world.

Jaime did nothing to undo his character arc and redemption story. Why on earth would he ever kill Cersei unless he was in a position where she clearly was insane with rage and was about to blow up the city?

I'm glad that they didn't go with the most expected ending based on a dumb prophecy that is not even in the show.
    FlukesSanguinePenguinawookiee
  • I have no issue with Jamie, at the end of the day, being unable to beat his addiction to his sister. I thought Jamie and Cersei's deaths were one of the least problematic parts of this episode. 
    Flukes
  • If you end up right where you started...you didn’t do an arc. 

I don’t personally have much issue w this, and obviously it may be “true to his character” or what have you, but if you would’ve told me in season 1 this is how Jamie ends I’d probably have just skipped over all his scenes throughout the series. What’s the bloody point? His whole journey is as much a waste of screen time as Arya’s adventures at the school of faceless men and Bran’s bullshit up north. 
  • edited May 14
    ken hale said:
    If you end up right where you started...you didn’t do an arc. 

I don’t personally have much issue w this, and obviously it may be “true to his character” or what have you, but if you would’ve told me in season 1 this is how Jamie ends I’d probably have just skipped over all his scenes throughout the series. What’s the bloody point? His whole journey is as much a waste of screen time as Arya’s adventures at the school of faceless men and Bran’s bullshit up north. 
    Personally I'm just as interested in seeing their journey to the end as I am seeing the end. That's what a large part of Game of Thrones has been about. Not exactly the end result but how they got there and what they had to endure to get there. Jaime did horrible things throughout the show to get back to Cersei. He also did some great things along the way but those great things he did could never outweigh the love he has for Cersei. Yes his story arc ended in a very similar if not exact way that it started but that's life. The things he did between the start and end were extremely true to his character. As much as I rooted for him to stay with Brienne and be the better man he's shown at times he can be, it's much truer to his character, in my opinion, to have ran back to the person he has always loved and would do anything for.
    ken hale
  • Fair point. If I had any emotional investment in these characters left at this point I might’ve thought it was a moving scene. But by now I’m just here to laugh at the nonsense and see some cool shit blow up on screen!
    awookieeJTKIII
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I have no issue with Jamie going back to Cersei. It does make sense (and not many other things did in this episode.) My issue is the way Cersei died. I have been waiting for years for her to get her just desserts. Falling rocks in Jamie's arms is not what SHE deserved. The ending felt cheap.
  • The Epic love story in the series is Cersei's, the bad guy.  Also, it is weird because it is with her brother.  Isn't this great seversion of fantasy novels?
    ken haleSanguinePenguin