Daenerys' Birthright

This is the Double D's story for better or for worse - and maybe one day I won't find it quite so insulting to its fans - but as the wildfyre went off I truly did not understand why Cersei had not used it to her advantage. How satisfying would it have been for Dany to accidentally torch the city by hitting a wildfyre cache and descend into madness from there? 

Instead of being pushed by what, the sight of the castle? I believe there was plenty of source evidence to show Dany may becoming undone, however I cannot buy that she would
 1. destroy innocent lives - she has gone on many murderous sounding tirades and acted on those urges many times - but never once vouching for the death of civilians, it was those in power she vanquished. 
 2. her family's legacy  - if she was mad at the people for denying her her birthright why would she then destroy her birthright? And if she was mad about what the Castle and the tyrannical governments before her why would she then murder all those people?? 

Did I miss something?

Watching that dragon fly overhead torching the city reminded me of a cat with a bag on its head running madly to get free. There was no strategy, no thought, nothing, they didn't give us a POV shot because there's no way they could have sold Daenerys as so black and white. They pushed so hard on the "every time a Targarean is born the god's flip a coin" - but Daenerys went from gray to black in a second. 

Daenerys has never been my favorite character, and was probably not my top choice for the Throne, however her ascendance to it made sense. It was not the decision to move forward with a Mad Queen story line that was so offensive, it was their going back on the character they spent so long building. Even in insanity I just cannot believe that Dany would burn children - it would have been more believable for her to burn every monarch, lady, and lord -  but the children, wives, fathers, families, any form of Dany would have let them live. 

That was always the key difference between Dany and Cersei. Cersei destroyed her people to protect her children and Dany loses everything to protect the people. Now Dany is just another crazy Targarean, and she deserved better than to be the Queen of Ashes.

Comments

• C'mon Jon, don't be a pussy and fuck your aunt!!
  • josiemb said:
    This is the Double D's story for better or for worse - and maybe one day I won't find it quite so insulting to its fans - but as the wildfyre went off I truly did not understand why Cersei had not used it to her advantage. How satisfying would it have been for Dany to accidentally torch the city by hitting a wildfyre cache and descend into madness from there? 

Instead of being pushed by what, the sight of the castle? I believe there was plenty of source evidence to show Dany may becoming undone, however I cannot buy that she would
     1. destroy innocent lives - she has gone on many murderous sounding tirades and acted on those urges many times - but never once vouching for the death of civilians, it was those in power she vanquished. 
     2. her family's legacy  - if she was mad at the people for denying her her birthright why would she then destroy her birthright? And if she was mad about what the Castle and the tyrannical governments before her why would she then murder all those people?? 

Did I miss something?

Watching that dragon fly overhead torching the city reminded me of a cat with a bag on its head running madly to get free. There was no strategy, no thought, nothing, they didn't give us a POV shot because there's no way they could have sold Daenerys as so black and white. They pushed so hard on the "every time a Targarean is born the god's flip a coin" - but Daenerys went from gray to black in a second. 

Daenerys has never been my favorite character, and was probably not my top choice for the Throne, however her ascendance to it made sense. It was not the decision to move forward with a Mad Queen story line that was so offensive, it was their going back on the character they spent so long building. Even in insanity I just cannot believe that Dany would burn children - it would have been more believable for her to burn every monarch, lady, and lord -  but the children, wives, fathers, families, any form of Dany would have let them live. 

That was always the key difference between Dany and Cersei. Cersei destroyed her people to protect her children and Dany loses everything to protect the people. Now Dany is just another crazy Targarean, and she deserved better than to be the Queen of Ashes.
    From what I took out of the episode was that all the random spots of wildfire that went up in flames were just random cache's that were probably long forgotten about from the days of the mad king.  I don't think Cersei knew anything about them and from the seemingly small fires that turned green, there wasn't really that much in each of the caches that went up in flames.  
  • I think the wildfire was symbolic of her finally becoming her father-that was his wildfire she ignited. 

And Dany’s torching King’s Landing makes perfect-if terrible-sense. 

Dany has to rule by fear. Jon has the better claim and she no longer trusts him with it. 

She was making sure no one would be brave enough to push a rival claim. 
    SanguinePenguin
  • AnominalAnominal San Francisco Bay Area
    That would make a lot of sense if she actually attacked Jon. Or even looked at Jon waaay off in the distance in that pause she made before destroying the city.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    And destroying the Red Keep and any structures associated with Lannisters or noble houses wouldn’t have shown Daenerys was serious?
  • I think they did plenty to set this up. Jon, Tyrion and Varys all betrayed her.  She saw that her dream of ruling for the people was going to not be the case.  Also that not only was Jon more loved, but he has a better claim. The people did not love her.  They weren't slaves she could save.

Ultimately, she followed up on her father's plan to "burn them all", essentially for the same reason that they didn't love her. Even using his wildfyre caches around the city to help the symbolism. 
    SanguinePenguin
  • gjulleen said:
    I think the wildfire was symbolic of her finally becoming her father-that was his wildfire she ignited. 

And Dany’s torching King’s Landing makes perfect-if terrible-sense. 

Dany has to rule by fear. Jon has the better claim and she no longer trusts him with it. 

She was making sure no one would be brave enough to push a rival claim. 
    I would love to time-jump next episode, about 30 years.  Like, what's her fucking end game?  She's said she can't have children, nobody loves her in Westeros to begin with or actually wants her to rule, she obviously doesn't give a fuck about improving life for smallfolk, so what's the plan?  Sit the Iron Throne...why?  Her last dragon will die as soon as someone throws a spear at it, she's got no crafty allies to help her maintain power, the Dothraki will probably turn rogues once there's nothing left to pillage, etc.  What a stupid dream, Dany.  You're dumb.
    SanguinePenguin