DAENERYS

What if there was a story, told from a certain point of view, about a power-obsessed person who destroyed and killed anything that got in their way -- sometimes for the good of many and sometimes for selfish reasons?

What if this person had been promised universal love since they were born and then found out it wasn't true when they grew up, and they were more likely to be hated, because of what their ancestors did?

What if this person had suffered terrible abuse throughout their life and at the moment they believed they had regained some form of stability and love, after losing a host of dear friends and relatives, with the end goal within sight, they almost lost it all?

What if this person showed such tyrannical traits that almost everyone near to them tried to stop them at one point or another, which this person then interpreted as a betrayal?

What if this complex character, whose family had a history of mental illness, had a moment of power to get revenge on one of their most hated enemies and then, in a fit of rage, lashed out at all those people that had caused such hurt, lost control and destroyed everything? 

What if the story shifted points of view at that moment and told the story from the view of the victims instead? And who you thought was a hero might have been a villain all along if seen from a different point of view.

Does this sound like a cool story?  

I give you Daenerys of the House Targaryen, the First of Her Name, The Unburnt, Queen of the Andals, the Rhoynar and the First Men, Queen of Meereen, Khaleesi of the Great Grass Sea, Protector of the Realm, Lady Regent of the Seven Kingdoms, Breaker of Chains and Mother of Dragons.

Qarth, Astopor, Yunkai, Meereen, Vaes Dothrak...

King's Landing.

But a lot of people think that story sucks.
gguenotSanguinePenguin

Comments

• AnominalAnominal San Francisco Bay Area
    You know what? That sounds like a pretty cool book. And I'm totally down with that ending. I'm sure the author could get in a lot of nuance by telling that story. But I can see ways that story could be easily screwed up in a visual medium especially in for instance a TV show, especially if they don't follow that outline you laid out and instead of lashing out at those that hurt her, she lashes out at people who are not involved at all. It would make a lot of sense if she actually did lash out at everything that was hers and if that was left out, it would be a key missing piece that doesn't make the picture quite complete.
    rkcrawf
  • Yeah. I’m trying to rationalize the crazy mass shooters and I can’t. This dude shot up Las Vegas because...there’s no good reason. Guy shoots up a Florida school because...

If the producers are telling me there are multiple reasons (choosing fear, genes, revenge and loss, rejection, etc.) why we think Dany snapped, then I accept it. The history of violence and threats of violence are there with Dany. A history of indifference towards the “small folk” would make it easier to accept, but that wasn’t her. I can’t even remember her walking that line before bc it was quiet the opposite.