Jaime: The noblest character in the show.

When faced with a 'Mad' King, hell bent on wanton destruction, Jaime denies his vows of obedience and loyalty and takes matters into his own hands. He lives with the consequences without really defending his actions. Ned Stark and others would have *preferred* that he did nothing.
When faced with a similar situation, Tyrion, Jon et al hope for the best. 
Travis

Comments

• TravisTravis CA
    edited May 14
    I don't know, man. Redemption is definitely a good start and it was good of him to learn and seek it (I grew to really like Jaime as a character and accept him as becoming an honorable man), but throwing a kid out of a tower window to protect the secret of his scandal is quite a strike against him in this race. Say what you will about Jon, and I'm not certain that he's my choice either, but he has no such blemishes.
    Dial888SanguinePenguinken hale
  • Dial888Dial888 Ireland
    Travis said:
    I don't know, man. Redemption is definitely a good start and it was good of him to learn and seek it (I grew to really like Jaime as a character and accept him as becoming an honorable man), but throwing a kid out of a tower window to protect the secret of his scandal is quite a strike against him in this race. Say what you will about Jon, and I'm not certain that he's my choice either, but he has no such blemishes.
    I know what you mean. I think at that stage he had given up on trying to be good. I'm not saying he wasn't spoilt or entitled or obnoxious. But he did act for the greater good at huge personal cost. Nobody else stepped up when it really counted. Maybe next episode we'll have a Queen Slayer! 
    Travis
  • It’s interesting that Jaimes noble side comes out in a crisis. He left Cersei to fight the dead and stabbed the mad king when people were threatened. He is a bad dude but he does seem to step up when large numbers of lives are threatened. 
    Dial888
  • Jaime isn't the noblest person. That would be Brienne.
    Jaime did indeed do the right thing a couple of times by killing the Mad King and thus saving innocent lives and he also did the right thing in fighting for Team Living.

But he neither all black nor all white, but all shades of gray. He is still the guy who has had an incestuous affair with his sister, who also happened to be the Queen, which isn't just incest but treason and fathered not one but two bastard Kings who unrightfully ascended the throne based upon this treasonous affair. Jaime also pushed a child out of a window in an attempt to kill him and keep him quiet.  He also murdered a cousin in cold blood just to go back to see Cersei. None of those actions speak to nobility or honor.

He is a hateful man who had some good in him, but ultimately he loved his twin sister and died in her arms, as he wanted all his life.

But he isn't what I'd call noble, by any stretch of the imagination.

Travis
  • @SanguinePenguin Great call. I 100% agree that it's Brienne. Kind of bummed that she didn't come to mind when I responded. I think you're completely right.
    SanguinePenguin
  • Dial888Dial888 Ireland
    Jaime isn't the noblest person. That would be Brienne.
    Jaime did indeed do the right thing a couple of times by killing the Mad King and thus saving innocent lives and he also did the right thing in fighting for Team Living.

But he neither all black nor all white, but all shades of gray. He is still the guy who has had an incestuous affair with his sister, who also happened to be the Queen, which isn't just incest but treason and fathered not one but two bastard Kings who unrightfully ascended the throne based upon this treasonous affair. Jaime also pushed a child out of a window in an attempt to kill him and keep him quiet.  He also murdered a cousin in cold blood just to go back to see Cersei. None of those actions speak to nobility or honor.

He is a hateful man who had some good in him, but ultimately he loved his twin sister and died in her arms, as he wanted all his life.

But he isn't what I'd call noble, by any stretch of the imagination.

Brienne is without doubt completely noble. Jaime is without doubt not. Therefore he requires more nobility to do the good deed.
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Will we see Brienne again? I’d hate for my last image of this powerful woman to be her crying in a robe over a man. 
    SanguinePenguin