Disney Take Full Control of Hulu

Comments

• Not a fan

JoshuaHeterElisaNoel
  • MichelleMichelle California
    They better not get rid of their best original shows!

JoshuaHeterElisa
  • MrXMrX CO
    Things are gonna get pretty bad. In addition to NBCUniversal potentially pulling Hulu content at some point, AT&T will be pulling WarnerMedia content from Netflix and Hulu for their upcoming streaming platform. It would be a pain but might have to just start rotating subscriptions depending on what I want to watch. Which sucks because I'd rather not have to "commit" to certain shows at a time.

Fragmentation is coming!

https://gizmodo.com/netflix-is-losing-some-of-its-most-popular-shows-thank-1834763303
    Elisa
  • All this is gonna do is continue to drive people into piracy. 
    ElisaCapeGabe
  • The piracy is going to go through the roof during The Great Streaming Fragmentation.

I haven't pirated anything since Napster first came out but I'm sure as hell not going to pay $250 a month for streaming services
    Elisa
  • Especially not now that there are.....not sure if this breaks rules, so I'll just say especially now that there are very affordable ways to ensure any torrenting can't be traced to your IP address. 
  • AnominalAnominal San Francisco Bay Area
    I'm paying $40ish right now? I actually don't think that's too unreasonable. I'd also they rather take over Hulu than create a separate subscription service. 
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    @Anominal
    The problem is that anything that isn’t Disney that used Hulu now has to create their own streaming services, Disney is going to pull a Netflix and kick all that shit off right quick. Also, Disney+ is Disney’s new upcoming streaming service so they in fact did make their own streaming service. 
    edited May 15
    Oh right. I guess I'm expecting the two to merge, but I don't know that's the case.

But as for kicking anything off their service, I don't really rememeber how much of it wasn't Fox (Which Disney now owns) or Disney. I guess the options for that stuff is to create their own paid services like CBS All Access (which I pay for and happy with.) or join up with someone else. 

This *is* what a lot of people wanted in the beginning to stop paying for full cable packages for channels they don't want and only pay for channels they do want. $6 a month for Survivor and new Star Trek shows is something I'm happy to pay. I also feel like being able to cancel just CBS gives me more ability to talk more with my wallet. 
  • MrXMrX CO
    Alkaid13 said:
    @Anominal
    The problem is that anything that isn’t Disney that used Hulu now has to create their own streaming services, Disney is going to pull a Netflix and kick all that shit off right quick. Also, Disney+ is Disney’s new upcoming streaming service so they in fact did make their own streaming service. 
    I think the plan is to keep Hulu around - Disney+ will have Disney movies, more family-oriented content, and Marvel/Star Wars stuff, and Hulu will keep on with more adult oriented original programming like Handmaid's Tale and perhaps more FOX content that they acquired from the acquisition.
    ChinaskiNoel
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    MrX said:
    Alkaid13 said:
    @Anominal
    I think the plan is to keep Hulu around - Disney+ will have Disney movies, more family-oriented content, and Marvel/Star Wars stuff, and Hulu will keep on with more adult oriented original programming like Handmaid's Tale and perhaps more FOX content that they acquired from the acquisition.
    bingo! i think @MrX just hit the nail on the head, that's from what I understand the plan is going to be.
    Noel
  • LordByLordBy Utah
    Chinaski said:
    MrX said:
    Alkaid13 said:
    @Anominal
    bingo! i think @MrX just hit the nail on the head, that's from what I understand the plan is going to be.
    That’s my understanding as well. This control shift also allows Disney to set pricing so I suspect they’ll offer a Hulu/Disney+ bundle for a discount to what they’d cost separately.

Since I already have Hulu and Disney+ looks like a great value for the price, this will save me some money so I’m good with it short term (the philosophical question as to whether one company should own so much entertainment media aside).
    edited May 15
    Splitting down that lines makes sense.

I also realized that I already buy every MCU movie with special features. I already pay for Hulu. This may work out to be cheaper for me than I currently pay. Or I pay a tiny bit more and also get every Star Wars and Pixar movie.