why arya did not go for cersei

edited May 15 in Game of Thrones
Arya does not kill Cersei because she’s pregnant with Lord Gendry’s baby. They will win GOT

Comments

• Or, and hear me out, Arya didn't kill Cersei because she was still redeemable as a human being. She saw what a life of revenge had done to Sandor, she knew Cersei was going to die one way or another, she's still a young woman, and maybe she realized she wanted a life instead of death. She doesn't have to be Gendry's lady, or anyone's lady, she can still be Arya, but she also doesn't have to be emotionless killing machine Arya. 

Arya is NOT no one. She is Arya Stark of winterfell. Killing someone who was going to die anyway, and sacrificing herself for no reason, well, it's not her. 
    SanguinePenguinFalcon
  • She forgot the conversation she had with Gendry. Next episode: Arya eats lemon cakes and gets married.
    CeciliaM
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    I mean, they spelled it out in the episode. The Hounds last redemption was to convince someone he cared about (Arya) from sacrificing her own life for this pointless revenge killing on someone (Cersei) who is dead no matter what at that point. Arya has been consumed by revenge to the point where she would have died killing a woman whose death already was sealed, and Sandor stopped her. It was a great moment, capped off by Arya calling him Sandor and thanking him.

Some may argue that this moment will be undercut in the next episode if Arya goes after Dany, but I would counter that by pointing out that killing Dany would not be some petty revenge assassination on a person who is basically already dead. Killing Dany would be a noble cause at this point, and Arya could believably kill her and survive it.
    Teresa from ConcordSanguinePenguintpelzyadampasz
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    6 syllables: She did not want to die. 
  • i want to wait until after the next episode to make my assessment of Arya.  What happened last episode is either very poetic and meaningful, or it could make no sense - like most other characters the show has developed.  But I'm willing to give it a chance.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I think part of it was that she was scared a little bit. Think of the pre-season trailer where we wondered what could possibly scare Arya so much to have her running with a genuine look of terror on her face. Unfortunately it wasn't Ice Spiders but it turns out, the army of the undead is pretty damn scary on its own. And a dragon with a rider hell bent on destroying everything is pretty damn scary too.

Arya is obviously a cold blooded killer. No question. But she is also still a young person who doesn't have much experience in huge epic battles so is, understandable, easily rattled when it looks like the world is going to end. I don't think it's a character flaw or a mistake that made in writing her this season, I actually think it makes sense like @asmallcat said, she is Arya Stark. She is not completely the faceless, emotionless killer we saw her training to be. They did an excellent job of framing that shot when Sandor had his hand on her shoulder (head?) and she actually looked like a young girl for the first time in soooo many seasons. It was brilliantly done in my opinion.

With all that said, that killer is still in there. And she's got some fire in her belly left for sure. I don't know if it's going to end like how she wants but she is for sure coming for Dany.
  • Agree with comments, i think she will kill dany, and become queen as the badass who slayed the three biggest threats to the realm (NK, Cersei, Dany). I still think she could be preggers whether she wants Gendry or not. Those big wide girl anime eyes were what made me think that; she was considering something and coming to a realization. Anyway,  think of cersei, her only redeeming feature was her love for her kids, but that didn't change who she fundamentally was. So Arya can be a mom and a killer, but as noted, for a noble cause. just like her mom Catelyn!

Murderbear
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Apparently if a woman has sex she a) immediately falls in love, and b) she’s pregnant. Than god I never lived in Westeros. I wouldn’t be Mother of Dragons but the Old Motherwho lived in a Shoe
    MurderbearCeciliaM
    Apparently if a woman has sex she a) immediately falls in love, and b) she’s pregnant. Than god I never lived in Westeros. I wouldn’t be Mother of Dragons but the Old Motherwho lived in a Shoe
    Luckily for you, Westerosi women also had a 50/50 shot of dying during childbirth. 

Lyanna's last words were actually "Doesn't matter, had sex"
    MurderbearTeresa from Concord
  • edited May 15
    cdrive said:
    6 syllables: She did not want to die. 

What took me out of that scene a bit was the idea that pursuing Cersei necessarily meant death.  I mean, the whole city was burning to the ground around them and even by fleeing when she did it's not like she was reasonably giving herself a better chance to survive.  She basically just bought herself like two extra minutes to be running around outside dodging obvious death.
  • Who said anything about love? At least not for romance.  Being pregnant absolutely changes the way you think, its a credible explanation, and is consistent with not wanting to die. It happens that women can get pregnant the first time and Im pretty sure there are no condoms in Westeros. In any case, the Ds have used plenty of unwoke female tropes, so not beyond the realm, so to speak, of possibility.
    CeciliaM
  • Birth control of some form or another has existed throughout time. No doubt it exists in Westeros. Not that we've seen anyone use it!
  • budesignsbudesigns Tega Cay, SC
    CeciliaM said:
    Birth control of some form or another has existed throughout time. No doubt it exists in Westeros. Not that we've seen anyone use it!
    Doesn't Qyburn offer Cersei something when we first learn of her latest pregnancy?

I wanna say they use moon tea as a "plan B" miscarriage inducer, but I don't remember if/where more evidence is ...