Book series talked about on Game of thrones Podcast?

I was looking for the name of the book series that was talked about on the podcast.  I forget what episode they talked about it on but I wanted to read it.  I remember they said it was written by two authors and series isn't done yet.   

Comments

• Maybe it was The Expanse? (James S. A. Corey is actually two authors)
    TravisA_Ron_HubbardNoel
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    edited May 15
    If they were talking about a sci-fi show that is essentially Game of Thrones in space, it's The Expanse by James S.A. Corey.  The show is available on Amazon Prime and was originally on SyFy.  In some countries it might be on Netflix, however with Amazon taking it over that's your best bet.

If they were talking about Game of Thrones, and specifically the religions of Game of Thrones, it could be the Gods of Thrones books that A.Ron co-wrote with Anthony Le Donne.  You can find links to purchase both of them at http://godsofthrones.com/ 
  • I really don't see the Game of Thrones in space analogy.  I mean, there's some politics driving the plot, for sure, but I think calling it that may give first-time viewers the wrong idea.  The Expanse is it's own thing, which I find difficult to define.  I love the series now, but I definitely didn't get hooked at first because I went in expecting something different.
    podcartfanZoner07
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited May 15
    ken hale said:
    I really don't see the Game of Thrones in space analogy.  I mean, there's some politics driving the plot, for sure, but I think calling it that may give first-time viewers the wrong idea.  The Expanse is it's own thing, which I find difficult to define.  I love the series now, but I definitely didn't get hooked at first because I went in expecting something different.
    I agree it is it's own thing, but there is more similarity than just politics:

- Warring factions of humanity that need to band together to face an alien threat
    - Chapters are written POV for select characters in a very similar way to ASOIAF - and both series start out with just a handful of POVs and expand as the books go on.
    - Authors live in New Mexico and one of them used to be GRRM's personal assistant.
    - Space Jon Snow.
    ken haleJoshTheBlack

• MrX said:

- Warring factions of humanity that need to band together to face an alien threat
    True, and a threat being given proper centrality to the story.
    - Chapters are written POV for select characters in a very similar way to ASOIAF - and both series start out with just a handful of POVs and expand as the books go on.
    Damn, I need to read those books.  [Or any books]
    - Authors live in New Mexico and one of them used to be GRRM's personal assistant.
    That's more than a coincidence.
    - Space Jon Snow.
    If only, lol.
    Alright, haha you convinced me, Game of Thrones in Space it is.  The first season felt like Sci-Fi-Noir to me, at least the Miller plot.  Good stuff, no matter what you call it.
  • MrXMrX CO
    ken hale said:

MrX said:

- Space Jon Snow.
    If only, lol.
    Alright, haha you convinced me, Game of Thrones in Space it is.  The first season felt like Sci-Fi-Noir to me, at least the Miller plot.  Good stuff, no matter what you call it.

Oh definitely my favorite part about season 1 Miller's space private eye noir plot, and that is really quite different than Game of Thrones.
    ken hale
  • AnominalAnominal San Francisco Bay Area
    ken hale said:

MrX said:

- Space Jon Snow.
    If only, lol.
    GoT season 1 has a murder mystery that Ned Stark is trying to solve.
    ken hale
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    I watched the first two episodes and didn’t like it. But now I’m thinking I should watch again. Or maybe read the books first like I did with GoT. 
  • MrXMrX CO
    Anominal said:
    ken hale said:

MrX said:

- Space Jon Snow.
    If only, lol.
    GoT season 1 has a murder mystery that Ned Stark is trying to solve.

Very true - and I forgot the marketing around season 1 put a lot of emphasis on "who killed Jon Arryn". But Miller's hair > Ned's hair.
    Doctor_Nick
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited May 16
    I watched the first two episodes and didn’t like it. But now I’m thinking I should watch again. Or maybe read the books first like I did with GoT. 

it does take a bit for the show to kick into gear - I did the same years ago (tried watching and stopped after a few episodes), and then revisited later it and got hooked. The books are very readable - i read all 8 in less than 6 months.
    ken haleTeresa from Concord