Why Dany did it

Anyone who feels Dany's reaction wasn't justified or easily understood has never been an underestimated women, painfully dealing with having to over perform to be recognized. Just moments before Dany's decision, we heard Cersei  state "we just need one good shot". After everything Dany did, Cersei (as a proxy for many  in westros) saw Dany as a meaningless girl that happened to have a dragon.  Obviously Dany couldn't hear Cersei but it's not a stretch to believe that she realized people were still thinking that. All Dany ever wanted was to be taken seriously but time and time again she had to prove herself .and so she did...again.

Comments

• edited May 16
    What you said about people not giving her due credit is definitely on display in that scene at Winterfell after the Brief Night where Jon is getting heaps of praise for riding a dragon.  She's in the background like "that's my thing, man!"  I can buy that this lack of recognition is a motivating factor in her actions.

What I don't buy is that she is anything without her dragons.  Without her dragons, she's got nothing: no army, no ships, no Khalisar, no chance at winning the throne.  She's not a leader or a savior without them.  No way.  And you're saying she proved herself at King's Landing, but it was the dragon did all the work, so that kind of illustrates my point, right?
    telephoneofmadness
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    edited May 16
    ken hale said:
    What you said about people not giving her due credit is definitely on display in that scene at Winterfell after the Brief Night where Jon is getting heaps of praise for riding a dragon.  She's in the background like "that's my thing, man!"  I can buy that this lack of recognition is a motivating factor in her actions.

What I don't buy is that she is anything without her dragons.  Without her dragons, she's got nothing: no army, no ships, no Khalisar, no chance at winning the throne.  She's not a leader or a savior without them.  No way.  And you're saying she proved herself at King's Landing, but it was the dragon did all the work, so that kind of illustrates my point, right?
    Why don't you try separating the lady from her dragon and see how that works out for you?
  • What made her feel underestimated in that moment though? The surrender should have had the opposite effect, since everyone is finally bending the knee, which she has been obsessed with for the entire show. Are we supposed to read all of this from just a raised eyebrow or something?
    ken haletelephoneofmadness
  • Well she can also survive deadly fires, which is how she gets followers a couple of times.

I think it's more prosaic - the people of Westeros don't know her. The Northmen already know and love Jon. Cersei doesn't know her at all. They don't have viral videos so they haven't been exposed to her charisma. 
  • Dany is not justified to commit a war crime.  Though, the psychology is there.   Her best friend and loyal advisor was just killed, along with the dragon.  
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    CeciliaM said:
    Well she can also survive deadly fires, which is how she gets followers a couple of times.

I think it's more prosaic - the people of Westeros don't know her. The Northmen already know and love Jon. Cersei doesn't know her at all. They don't have viral videos so they haven't been exposed to her charisma. 
    She doesn’t have charisma. She has dragons. The reality is she always won using fear. 
    telephoneofmadness
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited May 19
    She has a certain messianic zeal that having the dragons accentuated....

CeciliaM said:
    Well she can also survive deadly fires, which is how she gets followers a couple of times.

She doesn’t have charisma. She has dragons. The reality is she always won using fear. 

• She has a certain messianic zeal that having the dragons accentuated....

CeciliaM said:

Yeah I mean at the beginning, her dragons were the size of cats yet people still felt compelled by her.
    tpelzy
  • Why Dany did it? She answered that question in the finale, I guess. Breaking the wheel/liberating people = death?

Do her stated justifications make sense to anyone?

i’m more upset when Jon defends her by telling Tyrion “She had to do it” or whatever he says. A very wtf, out-of-character moment for him. 
  • tpelzytpelzy Dallas
    I've never been an underestimated woman, but I am, like most people, really bad at guessing what will make me happy. Have you ever gotten back from a trip that you planned for months and felt a little depressed after getting back to normal life. When the bells ring Dany looks out and sees that she finally has the thing she always wanted. And yet, her friends Misande and Jorah are dead, so are two of her dragons, her two closest advisors have just betrayed her, Sansa is actively plotting against her and won't bend the knee, and Jon is no longer interested in her romantically. She should feel happy and triumphant. Instead she feels lonely and bitter, and she lashes out against the people of Kings Landing. That's at least how it felt to me. 
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    edited May 21
    Not so sure "women might go crazy and burn a million people alive if they feel disrespected" is exactly up there with "The Feminine Mystique" in the grand history of statements of feminist values.

For the record, tho, I think it was hypoglycemia. I know I get cranky when my blood sugar is low because my enemies are trying to poison me.
    tpelzy
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited May 21
    Not with what they showed on screen, but if she was ruthless in purging whoever was “loyal to the wheel” or the old world or however she put it to Jon, absolutely. 

So so basically I think there is absolutely a logical way for Daenerys to go mad tyrant Queen, just not the way they showed it. 

ken hale said:
    Why Dany did it? She answered that question in the finale, I guess. Breaking the wheel/liberating people = death?

Do her stated justifications make sense to anyone?

i’m more upset when Jon defends her by telling Tyrion “She had to do it” or whatever he says. A very wtf, out-of-character moment for him. 

• LordByLordBy Utah
    The problem with the conclusion, and the last couple of seasons really, is that we need a novelization based on the scripts so we can figure out what they were actually trying to show rather than connecting the dots with various conflicting head cannon.

So this used to be an adaptation from the novels, but now we need a novelization from the TV show (which won’t line up completely from the actual novels when they come out at some point in the future).
    ken hale
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Not so sure "women might go crazy and burn a million people alive if they feel disrespected" is exactly up there with "The Feminine Mystique" in the grand history of statements of feminist values.

For the record, tho, I think it was hypoglycemia. I know I get cranky when my blood sugar is low because my enemies are trying to poison me.
    I envision the next Snickers commercial.

Hangry? Eat a Snickers.