Dany’s infertility

edited May 20 in Game of Thrones
So, it seems like all the times they pointedly referenced Dany being infertile in season 7 was a red herring? Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad they didn’t do an annoying surprise pregnancy plotline, but I recall three times that they really spelled out her being infertile to the viewers last season. IIRC it’s mentioned in the conversation between Tyrion and Dany where he tries to get her to make rules for how a ruler will be chosen if she dies, then she tells Jon when he’s in bed recovering on the boat after Viserion dies, then Dany mentions it to Jon again when they’re flirting in the Dragon Pit while they’re waiting for Tyrion to come back from his meeting with Cersei. Was the point of all these really conspicuous repetitions of the same fact just to make viewers feel sad when her dragons die because they’re the only children she’ll ever have??

Comments

• All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited May 20
    I mean, they only ever re-stated that she was infertile, with Jon questioning it for a few seconds in one scene.

Turns out she was actually probably infertile, or she and Jon didnt have long enough to make a baby before he stopped giving her the D and she went insane and died. I never thought they had time going into this season to pay off any Cersei/Dany pregnancies, so I wasnt surprised.
  • Oh yeah how could I forget about Jon going “How do you know?? A witch told you?? Lololol not a reliable source”. It seemed so obvious at the time that the writers were going for something with that, most likely a twist with Daenerys being pregnant, especially after the last scene in S7 of them banging. But I guess not!
    CeciliaM
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Daario never got her pregnant either. And you know that dude is taking any precautions.
  • Jon has a hang-up about making bastards so they had to make her barren so he could initiate boat sex and drive her insane. It tracks.
  • Daario never got her pregnant either. And you know that dude is taking any precautions.
    Thank you for mentioning Daario 

Murderbear
  • The problem is that in the books Dany is barren but in one of her last chapters, it makes it appear that perhaps she is fertile again.  So, I think people thought that it might transfer over into the show as well.

I do wonder if Dany would have said "i'm pregnant" to Jon, if he still would have killed her or not.

• All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited May 21

The problem is that in the books Dany is barren but in one of her last chapters, it makes it appear that perhaps she is fertile again.  So, I think people thought that it might transfer over into the show as well.

I do wonder if Dany would have said "i'm pregnant" to Jon, if he still would have killed her or not.

If she were pregnant, I'm not sure that Dany would have lost it like that. They made it clear that she felt alone in the world after losing Jorah, Missandei, and to an extent Jon. The only thing she had left was revenge and conquest. The news of her actually being pregnant and having something/someone else to live for, I think, would have softened a lot of that loneliness and isolation. And of course if Jon knew she was preggers with his child, I don't think that Jon pulls away from her in episode 5, making her feel more alone in the world. 

So, as the butterfly flaps it's wings, I don't think that Jon would have been put in that position to need to kill her if that were the case. That said, if he had to choose between a person he cares about and their new unborn love child over his sisters and everyone else he loves, I think he would choose to kill Dany. Maybe that changes if Dany were really pregnant and she was showing. 
  • chriskchrisk Indianapolis
    This is one red herring claim I agree with. It was, I thought pretty blatantly, mentioned in two separate scenes last year. When they first seemed attracted to one another and then after they'd slept together. Seems weird to specifically question that she can't have children without paying that off somehow. 

I'm guessing they just did it to leave themselves that option. 
  • I guess it doesn't matter now. She dead.