Lost - (Re)watch ——-> Spoiler Free Please.

Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
edited May 23 in Other TV
The podcast A Storm of Spoilers is doing a Lost watch for people who have never watched the show.  I know Lost seems very contentious in Bald Move nation.  I am unspoiled and never watched a minute of the show.  Would people recommend embarking on it?
Frakkin TMichellepavlovsbell

Comments

• MrXMrX CO
    edited May 21
    The podcast A Storm of Spoilers is doing a Lost watch for people who have never watched the show.  I know Lost seems very contentious in Bald Move nation.  I am unspoiled and never watched a minute of the show.  Would people recommend embarking on it?

Yes! At the very least watch the 2-part pilot. I re-watched the pilot this weekend after seeing that A Storm of Spoilers was going to do it, and it holds up amazingly 15 years later. Looking forward to making my way through the rest of the first season 

The first 3 seasons were standard 22-episode network seasons so parts might seem like a slog compared to typical 10-13 episode seasons for a lot of shows these days, but well worth it IMO, still one of my favorite shows off all time.
    CretanBullFrakkin TMichelleElisa
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited May 21
    Yes, for sure.  The early seasons in particular are great...as far as conventional network TV goes it's one of the best shows ever.  Fair warning - as I'm sure that you're aware - there's a slip in quality as it goes on.  You might want to stick with it, you might not, but personally I'd give it a go - it's worth it just to experience those early seasons.

In many ways, LOST is what spawned this whole internet culture of people gathering to discuss tv.  If it wasn't the first (I guess Twin Peeks was), it was the biggest show that really invited fan theories and got people obsessed with sharing ideas and trying to figure out what was going on.  It might not be as fun in retrospect because you're going to miss out on that sense of community and fan theory craft that came with watching LOST but to me it's still worth it.
    Frakkin TMichelleElisaTulipblossom
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    It really is one of the best TV shows of all time, and The Constant is probably the best episode of TV of all time. It kind of stumbles at the end, but really isn't as bad as the Internet rage machine would have you believe. I rewatched it a few years ago and it still holds up, even if the 22 episode seasons definitely leads to some filler.

If you truly know nothing about the show, I'd suggest not listening to a rewatch podcast as you watch it. There are some truly amazing reveals and cliffhangers that are bound to be spoiled by a rewatch podcast even if they're trying to avoid spoiling stuff. I'm talking "No, I am your father." level reveals.
    Frakkin TMichellenstinsonElisa
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    I'd definitely suggest watching it if you've never seen it. I'd also suggest not discussing it online until you've finished it. The discourse around Lost is so poisonous, first because the finale was pretty divisive and second because all online discourse is poisoned in the Trump era. But I digress.

I'm not sure, @CretanBull, that there was a dip in quality in the later seasons. Some of the weakest episodes are in seasons 2 & 3. They leaned hard into the show's mythology in seasons 4 & 5 and I'll allow that the execution of season 6's big twist could have been done better but they never lost focus on the characters and their arcs, and that was the core of every episode. It became less accessible & harder to dip in & out, but I'd put any season 5 or 6 episode against the best of the early years. 
    MichelleCretanBullElisa
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Absolutely 100% at least watch the first two eps, which is the two-part pilot.  It's honestly one of the best and most iconic pilots in tv history.

It's still one of my favorite shows, despite how divisive fans became over it.  I mean, you either get it or you don't.  I think if you're not expecting immediate gratification/answers right away and can accept that you will get them in time, you can just settle in, kick back, and enjoy the ride.  It does get a little crazy, but in a good way.  In my opinion, it's worth every minute.

Not everyone here loves it, but just know that enough of us do that we're with ya.  :smile: 
    Frakkin TElisa
    Frakkin T said:
    I'd definitely suggest watching it if you've never seen it. I'd also suggest not discussing it online until you've finished it. The discourse around Lost is so poisonous, first because the finale was pretty divisive and second because all online discourse is poisoned in the Trump era. But I digress.

I'm not sure, @CretanBull, that there was a dip in quality in the later seasons. Some of the weakest episodes are in seasons 2 & 3. They leaned hard into the show's mythology in seasons 4 & 5 and I'll allow that the execution of season 6's big twist could have been done better but they never lost focus on the characters and their arcs, and that was the core of every episode. It became less accessible & harder to dip in & out, but I'd put any season 5 or 6 episode against the best of the early years. 
    We shouldn't discuss this in a thread where the OP hasn't seen it yet.  I'll say this though...I don't mean this literally, but read between the lines and I think that you'll get an idea of what I don't like in the later seasons.

"I don't have time to discuss this and I'm afraid that it might go sideways if things get heated and we don't need another bomb going off on these boards" :) 

Michelle
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    Thanks- I guess I'll start watching it podcast free.
    Frakkin T said:

We shouldn't discuss this in a thread where the OP hasn't seen it yet.  I'll say this though...I don't mean this literally, but read between the lines and I think that you'll get an idea of what I don't like in the later seasons.

"I don't have time to discuss this and I'm afraid that it might go sideways if things get heated and we don't need another bomb going off on these boards" :) 

Oh yeah, not interested in getting heated about it. It does seem that Lost is getting mentioned a lot this week and in 2019 TV pundits seem to universally think it ended poorly, so I wanted to give OP a little context. (Also I'm pretty sure it's in my and @Michelle's Bald Move contract that we rep the pro-Lost set) #LLAP 
    Elisa
  • Just yesterday I heard good advice how to watch Lost: watch the first season and then stop. No matter what, just stop. If you can do that you're guaranteed to be fine.

If you fail to do that there's a risk of running into the sunk cost fallacy, as did I back in the day. When I think Lost I think of wasted time. Maybe it's better when you can binge it though. I didn't have that option. 
  • OldGriswoldOldGriswold Brooklyn
    edited May 21
    Even if I wanted to recommend the show I couldn't recommend listening to Joanna Robinson
  • edited May 21
    I'm with @Michelle I love Lost to this day. And I loved the finale as well. Yes, there was a bunch of filler. But to me, first and foremost, Lost was about the characters. They all had such depth and they all had history (and not only because there were twice as many episodes a season - there were pretty much twice as many characters, too). No show has given me so many feels until The Leftovers came around.
    I've not watched an episode in years but all this talk kinda makes me want to do a rewatch.
    MrXMichelleElisa
  • The podcast A Storm of Spoilers is doing a Lost watch for people who have never watched the show.  I know Lost seems very contentious in Bald Move nation.  I am unspoiled and never watched a minute of the show.  Would people recommend embarking on it?

To me, it depends on what type of TV watcher you are....
    If you get totally lost in the mysteries and have to have sufficient answers for every mystery both major and minor, you might not enjoy it as much. I actually started out that way, but the characters totally won me over. If you view it as a character drama, then every season totally lands (with a few small caveats), including the last one. It's still my sentimental favorite show. I'd recommend it
    MrXFrakkin TMichelleElisa
  • MrXMrX CO
    Even if I wanted to recommend the show I couldn't recommend listening to Joanna Robinson

I listen to a lot of her podcasts (and I know Jim and ARon have met her at cons and have a lot of respect for the work she does), and enjoyed their first episode of the Lost re-watch.

They broke it into non-spoiler and spoiler sections, so @Doctor_Nick if you want to watch for the first time you can still listen to the non-spoiler half of the podcast.
    MrX said:

I listen to a lot of her podcasts (and I know Jim and ARon have met her at cons and have a lot of respect for the work she does), and enjoyed their first episode of the Lost re-watch.

They broke it into non-spoiler and spoiler sections, so @Doctor_Nick if you want to watch for the first time you can still listen to the non-spoiler half of the podcast.
    Do what you want but I still suggest not listening to a rewatch podcast until the day you enjoyed it so much you want to rewatch it. Rewatch podcasts that attempt the non-spoiler route usually aren't great because it's impossible to have a meaningful discourse if you already know how everything plays out. Spoilers are also inevitable on a podcast.
    MrXDoctor_Nick
  • Absolutely watch Lost, imo. I may be biased here because I'm a finale-liker, but it's still a classic, and its highs are higher than anything Game of Thrones ever managed. Its lows (for me, certain stretches of seasons 2 and 3) are rough to get through, and it's a 50/50 chance whether you'll love or hate the way the whole thing ends, but the overall experience of watching it is 100% worth it.
    MrXFrakkin TnstinsonMichelleElisapavlovsbell
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I watched the first 6 seasons in the course of about a month over a summer break and loved it. It helps having some time passed and knowing that the ending wasn't super popular so you can enjoy the show for what it is. It's really fun and has some great characters and twists in the story, 100% worth watching especially if you've managed to not be spoiled.
    MrXnstinsonMichelleElisapavlovsbell
  • MrXMrX CO
    toncica said:
    Just yesterday I heard good advice how to watch Lost: watch the first season and then stop. No matter what, just stop. If you can do that you're guaranteed to be fine.

If you fail to do that there's a risk of running into the sunk cost fallacy, as did I back in the day. When I think Lost I think of wasted time. Maybe it's better when you can binge it though. I didn't have that option. 

there are definitely some frustrating parts that drag on in seasons 2-3, and season 4-6 are both loved and hated depending on who you ask, but all through the series IMO there are some of the best episodes of television of the last 20 years that are worth watching for. And it definitely does work better as a binge so for folks coming to the series now I think it will not be the same experience as those who thought they wasted time back when it originally aired.
    Michellepavlovsbell
    Frakkin T said:
    Frakkin T said:

Oh yeah, not interested in getting heated about it. It does seem that Lost is getting mentioned a lot this week and in 2019 TV pundits seem to universally think it ended poorly, so I wanted to give OP a little context. (Also I'm pretty sure it's in my and @Michelle's Bald Move contract that we rep the pro-Lost set) #LLAP 

^ This wasn't meant as a serious comment, I was dropping code words to signal to you what I didn't like about the later seasons without spoiling things for the OP!

I'll PM you for clarity :)
    Frakkin TMichelle

I get it now--well done, sir!
    CretanBullMichelleZoner07
  • Going back to watch older shows always leaves me thinking one thing: 

Damn they used to make too many shows in a season.

It gets me thinking about how great some mediocre old shows could have been if the writers weren't forced to make up so much filler. 
    Frakkin TCretanBullMarci
    CapeGabe said:
    Going back to watch older shows always leaves me thinking one thing: 

It gets me thinking about how great some mediocre old shows could have been if the writers weren't forced to make up so much filler. 
    I kind of feel the opposite.  I love long seasons.  It's what I'm used to.  Short seasons do make it easy to binge, but in most instances a longer season gives you more opportunity to explore character arcs and various storylines in more depth, rather than rushing through them.  I think Lost benefited from that, since its character development is certainly some of, if not the, best in all of television.
    pavlovsbellnstinson
  • edited May 21
    I got way too burned by the ending of Lost as an original airing watcher (well, mostly original - I started watching it about 3 seasons in on the ABC or CBS or whatever network it was on's streaming service, but caught up to live during the 4th or 5th season IIRC) to ever go back and try and watch it again. 

I know there's been some revision to the original almost universal dislike to the finale, but not for me. That show's way too long to invest that time in again. 

Edit - although as people have said, the pilot is absolutely amazing, and the show certainly did raise the bar for network TV and was among the best TV available for much of its run. If you haven't ever seen it, give it a try. You can always bail and read a synopsis if it gets to be too much of a slog. Although I'll never rewatch it, I would still recommend most people give it a try. 
    Michelle said:
    CapeGabe said:
    Going back to watch older shows always leaves me thinking one thing: 

I kind of feel the opposite.  I love long seasons.  It's what I'm used to.  Short seasons do make it easy to binge, but in most instances a longer season gives you more opportunity to explore character arcs and various storylines in more depth, rather than rushing through them.  I think Lost benefited from that, since its character development is certainly some of, if not the, best in all of television.
    Even Lindelof was complaining that 22 episodes were too many episodes. It was burning him out and the show was suffering because of the filler they were having to come up with. Character development is great, but we really don't need every possible detail about a character. Did episodes like "Stranger in a Strange Land" add anything of value to the characters?
    Frakkin TCapeGabenstinson
    Hunkulese said:
    Even Lindelof was complaining that 22 episodes were too many episodes. It was burning him out and the show was suffering because of the filler they were having to come up with. Character development is great, but we really don't need every possible detail about a character. Did episodes like "Stranger in a Strange Land" add anything of value to the characters?
    Well that's him, and everyone has their own opinion, but as for me I love a longer season.
    Re "Stranger..." - I didn't say every episode was a winner. :smirk: *cough*Nikki&Paulo*cough*
    Frakkin TCapeGabe
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I guess fortunately I watched Lost for the first time several years ago when I just got Netflix.  I didn't have to deal with the weekly episodic format or writer's strike and fan craze back in the day.  That said, I got obsessed and did a daily binge because it was so much to absorb in one sitting.  I also tried to find some episodic blogs that were original and kinda spoiler free. but it was really difficult.  All in all, I totally loved it, it resonated with me and really don't have a problem with the finale.  I consider myself a Lostie now.  It's definitely in my top 10 list of all time. :)
    MichelleCretanBullpavlovsbellnstinson
    edited May 21
    Michelle said:
    Hunkulese said:
    Well that's him, and everyone has their own opinion, but as for me I love a longer season.
    Re "Stranger..." - I didn't say every episode was a winner. :smirk: *cough*Nikki&Paulo*cough*
    Well, it is the opinion of the guy creating the show. When a creator is saying the show is suffering because they have to fill too many episodes, the seasons are probably too long.

I'll even defend Nikki and Paolo to an extent. The ending to their arc was one of the show's best episodes. Probably would have been even better if they had trimmed some of the fat leading up to it.

Edited by Cretanbull to avoid spoilers for the OP :)
    Frakkin T
    edited May 21
    Michelle said:
    Hunkulese said:
    I met him and have a pretty funny story about it...this story contains a major spoiler!

I met Paulo, way back in 2008 he came to a small bar that I hang out - he was also with Naveen Andrews (who was with some other people so I didn't really get a chance to meet him other than to say hi).  They were both in town as guests of a comic book convention.  The World Cup was on and Paulo is from Brazil, he saw that I was watching the games and asked me about scores of the games that he'd missed and we ended up talking about soccer.  When I realized that he was with Naveen, I clued in that I was talking to Paulo!  And so I had to ask him about LOST...

He & Nikki were supposed to be major characters added to the permanent cast.  The producers pitched him with the idea that he would grow to be Sawyer's main rival in the show and that their shared backgrounds of being con men would be intertwined etc he loved the show and was super excited to be part of the cast, he spoke about how it was his dream job etc.  And then the fans hated his guts.  At first the producers told him not to worry about it, he was a 'heel' and he was supposed to be hated.  As a few weeks went by he started getting record amount of hate mail - people were threatening to boycott the show as long as he & Nikki were on it.  They started proposing ways to adjust scripts that had been written by not yet filmed to make him more likable, but with each week that went by while they were trying find a way to fix the character the hate mail just kept pilling up.  They ended up having to kill both him and Nikki because the fans hated them so much.  That's why they died the way that they died..the producers didn't just want to kill them off, they wanted to kill them off in particularly gruesome way (buried alive!) to satisfy the fans.

I forgot to mention - the running joke in the show about how Sawyer could never remember Paulo and Nikki's name came from the fact that Paulo was supposed to be his main rival.

MichelleMarci
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I listened to the Storm's podcast on the Lost pilot, and I highly recommend it. There was only one spoiler that Joanna dropped in her excitement, but they bleeped it. They mention Game of Thrones a couple of times, and how they're excited to dive into Lost, which despite its flaws, it is an expert in characters and making you feel emotions and investment in those characters and their journeys (something that got lost a bit in recent GoT seasons). We've seen Lost's themes in a more elevated and sophisticated way in The Leftovers. Dave provided a lot of filmmaking insight that I wasn't aware of (I never bought the DVDs so I haven't listened to the commentaries), and the discussion of the televisual, social, and political climate during the Lost premiere is interesting. 

I don't know if I'll do a full rewatch with the podcast because I feel like I've seen Lost a million times as I got into watching some Lost reactions during GoT's off-season (Jimmy Macram, Hunter, and now Hogwarts is covering it), but Joanna's excitement was infectious that I want to go back and rewatch the pilot (it is fantastic as others above have said). The standard network seasons were only for the first three. S4-6 averaged sixteen episodes, IIRC.
    CretanBullMichelleMrXDoctor_Nick
  • Thanks- I guess I'll start watching it podcast free.
    Didn't they say they were going to split their coverage into a spoiler free and then spoiler section? I'm considering rewatching it too because of their podcast. 
    The standard network seasons were only for the first three. S4-6 averaged sixteen episodes, IIRC.
    If you break all the multipart episodes up into actual hours of television when it originally aired it was 25-24-23-14-17-18.
    pavlovsbell