Book vs Show

Now the show has ended I thought it would be fun to compare show and books.

I have posted in the past I really liked how they had Brianne fight The Hound in the show. I thought it was a great in the show and improved Brianne's story.

Since there was so much complaining about the Super Heat Seeking Auto-Aim Scorpions during the final season, me included, I got to thinking about the books. What if the horn Dragonbinder that Euron gives his brother Victarion to control dragons works? Will that seem as OP as the scorpions? Will it seem dumb? Will the scorpions seem like a better idea?

Comments

• I liked a lot of the ways the show condensed the books at first. No pale mare illness in Essos, shortening the battle pits in Essos, combining Sansa and Fake Arya, Brienne doesn’t wander aimlessly forever looking for Stark girls etc etc. The Brienne -Hound fight was awesome and the Arya-Tywin scenes. And I like that Cersei in the show was not a silly drunken dummy. 

When 2 dragons got knocked out so easily in the show I also kind of felt that the horn will take at least one out in the books since they have set that up as a thing. And I think the show yada-yada’d the whole dragon-Dany connection more than it looks like the books will. Like how does she control them exactly?  

I like the books but did not enjoy reading Dance too much. It kind of wallows in death and illness and doesn’t move the story along very much for such a long book. The Theon-reek arc was the most narratively satisfying stuff for me if I recall and that is a dark plot line!  And there is fake Arya, Mance in disguise, complicated Dorne subplot, etc. A lot to wrap up. I am sure I will read the next books diligently if they get published. I hope they do!
    CapeGabeSanguinePenguin
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    The biggest difference to me was the absence of any fAegon plot. Does that mean it won't matter in the books? Or maybe it just won't matter in the same way that Jon's heritage didn't really matter in the show other than driving a wedge between Dany and everyone else.

Also, the severe lack of any Martells or more than three disappointing Sand Snakes is a huge bummer. I know in the books Doran has some shit up his sleeve. Quentyn would have been a  cool story too. The Sand Snake who infiltrated the Citadel?? Gah. So many missed opportunities but to do this book series any justice it would have had to have been 20 seasons long. Just not possible.
    majjam0770ken hale
  • edited May 21
    Dorne is one of biggest show regrets. That story is so well done in the books. They've literally been waiting from the sack of Kings landing to get revenge. It's such a great plot with awesome dialogue and speeches. The snake in the grass... I can't fathom for the life of me why a TV show would throw away awesome dialogue.

Lady Stoneheart is another thing that should have been excellent, but at least with that I can understand why they cut it. 

I feel like they missed the boat on Euron (get it, haha). Book Euron is a mysterious evil sorcerer, yet show Euron was a frat boy who had one too many beers. 

ken halemajjam0770
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited May 21
    I don't think George is taking enough blame for the show going to shit. Books four and five were pretty much impossible to accurately adapt to television. If they had stuck closer to the books, Brienne and Pod would still be aimlessly wandering around. A.Ron talks about how he had to walk away from the books in rage after the Red Wedding. Brienne's final chapter in Feast was my moment for that. 8 chapters of aimless wandering and that's how it ends?
    majjam0770SanguinePenguin
  • Show watcher only here... I've always toyed with reading them, but should I start at the beginning at this point? Is it worth it? A.Ron told Jim to start with Book 4, presumably the worst book, which I was considering. Thoughts?
  • Nicbatz said:
    Show watcher only here... I've always toyed with reading them, but should I start at the beginning at this point? Is it worth it? A.Ron told Jim to start with Book 4, presumably the worst book, which I was considering. Thoughts?
    If you like reading, start at the beginning. The first 2-3 are the better books In the series. And there are quite a few differences between book and show that will add up. It has been awhile since I read them but I think it would be better to not skip any. 
    NicbatzSanguinePenguin
  • dragonsdragons NYC
    edited May 22
    Nicbatz said:
    Show watcher only here... I've always toyed with reading them, but should I start at the beginning at this point? Is it worth it? A.Ron told Jim to start with Book 4, presumably the worst book, which I was considering. Thoughts?
    I started as show-only and read the first three books last summer or the summer before.  I got distracted by other things and decided not to pick up Feast because it seems to be known as the worst.  In my grief yesterday morning, I started reading it during my commute.  I'm feeling pretty sucked in and I was pleased to be held for train traffic this morning.

But if I were in your situation, I would start with the beginning.  The first book is so true to the show that it felt like seeing my old friends again.
    NicbatzSanguinePenguin
  • Nicbatz said:
    If you like reading, start at the beginning. The first 2-3 are the better books In the series. And there are quite a few differences between book and show that will add up. It has been awhile since I read them but I think it would be better to not skip any. 
    Thank you, I think I will start at the beginning. I love reading & listening to books, so I'm going for it. After listening to the podcast for years, I feel like I know so much about the books but after being so dissatisfied with the ending of the show I want to be ready for when/if GRRM delivers. 

• Nicbatz said:
    I started as show-only and read the first three books last summer or the summer before.  I got distracted by other things and decided not to pick up Feast because it seems to be known as the worst.  In my grief yesterday morning, I started reading it during my commute.  I'm feeling pretty sucked in and I was pleased to be held for train traffic this morning.

But if I were in your situation, I would start with the beginning.  The first book is so true to the show that it felt like seeing my old friends again.
    I could use some old friends after the ending of the show. Good call!