Defense of Game of Thrones' Legacy

edited May 22 in Game of Thrones
I will admit I have my disappointments with GOT in this last season but this show's legacy is unassailable.

1. This show was probably the biggest television cultural phenomena in history reaching multi-millions of people and permeating the general cultural consciousness and being a major connective thread for what I presume to be innumerable workplace and bar conversations. How many friendships and even romances have  originated at least in part because of a shared connection of Game of Thrones.

2. This show spawned countless original content from podcasts, to books, to youtube shows. BaldMove is successful mainly because they put effort and care into there content and have built trust with their fans but there is no denying GOT is a major reason they were able to reach so many and grow so big which then allowed them to retain these new fans with their great content. 

3. I believe GOT has blazed a trail for future shows to spend movie level amounts of money to tell epic in scope stories. I do not believe The Expanse gets made as competently as it is or at all if not for GOT. The scale of the shooting and technical expertise especially displayed in this final season gives me great hope for future projects.

4. The level of talent then show has brought to us in acting is exciting for the future. I am excited for the future of Maisie, Sophie, Kit, Emilia, Gwendoline and John Bradley. I think This show has really allowed all of us to experience and realize how special of a talent Peter Dinklage is and to be honest without this massive part for a little person I am not sure if the film industry gives him a real chance to be more than a character actor.

5. Finally, in defense of the double D's I would suggest Hanlon's razor. Don't assume malice when incompetence will suffice. I would suggest their major errors were largely due to them just being incompetent in their ability to bring this massive journey to an end. Their decision for shorter seasons perhaps was their hubris but in the end these guys did a great job shaping a tv show from solid source material. When that ran out and they only had bullet points their incompetence at writing original content perhaps showed through. Perhaps they didn't know how to fill out the final seasons with 10 episodes a piece and honestly their hubris in not hiring solid writing help I think can all be chalked up to their incompetence and malice.

In the end this show I think has a great cultural legacy and even though the end is soured somewhat but rushed plot the overall legacy of this show I believe will stand the test of time.

Comments

• I don’t disagree with your argument about the show’s legacy, and I’m not trying to be a jerk, but I just love the irony of skipping one of your bullet points as you’re defending this season. Guess we just gotta plug the gaps with headcanon. 
  • ken hale said:
    I don’t disagree with your argument about the show’s legacy, and I’m not trying to be a jerk, but I just love the irony of skipping one of your bullet points as you’re defending this season. Guess we just gotta plug the gaps with headcanon. 
    I am not really defending the season just that the double D's issues in the final season may be attributable to incompetence and hubris rather than malice which fair enough part of the incompetence could be them being lazy.
    So really all I am saying is they didn't tank the season on purpose.

ken hale
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    What happened to #3?

• Cory said:
    What happened to #3?

ahhhhh yes icic ... literally a typo
  • mtron32mtron32 San Diego
    ncat said:
    ken hale said:
    I don’t disagree with your argument about the show’s legacy, and I’m not trying to be a jerk, but I just love the irony of skipping one of your bullet points as you’re defending this season. Guess we just gotta plug the gaps with headcanon. 
    I am not really defending the season just that the double D's issues in the final season may be attributable to incompetence and hubris rather than malice which fair enough part of the incompetence could be them being lazy.
    So really all I am saying is they didn't tank the season on purpose.

I don't like throwing the word "lazy" around to describe something of this scope, the "laziness" isn't on them.  I blame GRR Martin for allowing this to begin knowing he wasn't going to be finished by the time the show caught up to him.  Perhaps we can call HIM lazy but IMHO the show shouldn't have been green lit without the completed books.
  • I just find it so preposterous that people are calling this season lazy. Maybe they didn't hit all the nuance people wanted but they basically made three episodes of TV and three feature films, and the plot does have a throughline, even if it's not what people wanted to see.
    SanguinePenguin
  • “Kinda forgot” will be the evergreen memory of this franchise. 

Furious sound signifying nothing.

• Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    Lazy?  I don't know if it was because of that.  Rushed or compromised sounds more like it.

CeciliaM said:
    I just find it so preposterous that people are calling this season lazy. Maybe they didn't hit all the nuance people wanted but they basically made three episodes of TV and three feature films, and the plot does have a throughline, even if it's not what people wanted to see.