Woodstock... or the lack thereof

Sorry if this has been brought up before, but I was really looking forward to seeing Woodstock playing into one or more of the S7 episodes.  Being one of the biggest cultural events of the '60s, you'd think they would have at least made mention.  I can see Roger maybe being on the phone with Mona about Marigold going, or having a conversation with Don about how he still hasn't heard from her since he talked to her at the commune, and that the last he heard she was "on her way to some farm" or something.  I wonder why they skipped it... maybe it would have cost Weiner & company a lot of $$ to even use the name?   Thoughts?

Comments

• ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    Trying to know the mind of the Weiner is a losing proposition. Maybe they saw it as too obvious?
  • MichelleMichelle California
    ksa1001 said:

Trying to know the mind of the Weiner is a losing proposition. Maybe they saw it as too obvious?

Yeah, I gave up trying quite some time ago. lol   But really, it isn't any more obvious than the JFK assassination, MLK, civil rights, or the moon landing.  So who knows.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    It doesn't bother me. I feel like everything set around that time somehow brings Woodstock into it and it's become a bit of a tired cliche. I'm happy for them to have skimmed past it. Realistically, it wouldn't really have had any impact on any of the characters - maybe Stan at best.
    ksa1001hypergenesbAmbitiousBukky
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited May 2015
    I think if you're going to have historical events brought up in a show, they have to affect and relate to the characters to make them work. JFK getting assassinated, the MLK assassination and the moon landing were the three big ones that made it into Mad Men, why? Because those events affected everyone, so of course we see the characters live through them. MKL was probably the least of the three, as there are no main characters that are black, or characters especially involved in the civil rights movement. I would have like to seen race brought up more, as the show takes place right when civil rights really got off the ground and moving. But I would want it done well, and if none of characters pertain to the situation the writing may get subpar to bend them outside what thier charachter would do. Woostock...I cant think of anyone really outside of Stan or Megan who would have taken part in that. I cant even imagine Don at Woodstock, boy would he be out of place!
  • I assume they skipped it because they had already touched on the hippie scene a little with Roger's daughter, etc.  Also, as noted, none of the major characters really would have been effected by it.  Many years ago though, maybe in season 2 or 3, my prediction for the show's ending was Sally being a drugged out hippie fleeing her parents to head to Woodstock -  never to look back.  
  • I was surprised they didn't touch on Woodstock at all. I agree that none of the main characters would have gone, but I thought it at least be mentioned by somebody. Oh well.
    Michelle
    Thanks for the replies!  It doesn't really bother me, I was just pretty surprised as it was such a huge event.
    Like I said, I can see Roger mentioning it in conversation about Margaret (Marigold), but it's all good.  :)

aberry89 said:

I cant even imagine Don at Woodstock, boy would he be out of place!

Yeah, being in a suit and tie at a Stones concert with Harry Crane was bad enough!   :) lol
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Not being a child of the 60s, I felt like we got plenty of hippy action and psychedelic stuff.  The entire office getting high was much, much better than a Woodstock scene IMO.
    The_Third_ManAmbitiousBukky