The Last Watch

So the original ending of the show was the guys worst fear.... Jon killing Daenerys with no fall out. Just straight to black. 

rkcrawf

Comments

• Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Are the guys gonna discuss this? Honestly I turned it off about 45 minutes in. 
    BroRad33
  • I really enjoyed watching this documentary. I studied scenic design and lighting in college and a ton of work and creativity goes into even a simple stage production, so seeing it on a massive scale like this is really impressive. I got a big kick out of finally getting to know more about Reddit’s favorite Unnamed Soldier, Andrew McClay. That guy’s attitude and enthusiasm are really something, and having someone like that on a production just ups everyone’s game. Being an extra is no easy gig - it's long hours, early calls, little pay.
    The documentary didn’t feel overly self-congratulatory (in fact, D&D were barely in it) and I would watch a half dozen of these, each focusing on a different production department and going a lot more in-depth. Despite the many flaws of season 8, a whole lot of people were working at the top of their game to do something that’s never been done before.
    DaveyMacSanguinePenguinAeshaw90
  • I enjoyed this documentary. It acknowledged the hard work the cast and esp the crew put in w/o seeming like self-congratulations. While the writing was rushed, I hope this dispels the idea that people checked out or were lazy. 

I also got got the impression, @JTKIII, that the original ending was Jon stabbing Dany. I wonder if the rest was tacked on after, which is why it felt rushed.  
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited May 27
    Unfortunately the only people who checked out and didn't want to do the work were the most important people for the final outcome of the show.

Better writing and direction >>>> Costumes, sets, special and practical effects.

rkcrawf said:
    I enjoyed this documentary. It acknowledged the hard work the cast and esp the crew put in w/o seeming like self-congratulations. While the writing was rushed, I hope this dispels the idea that people checked out or were lazy. 

I also got got the impression, @JTKIII, that the original ending was Jon stabbing Dany. I wonder if the rest was tacked on after, which is why it felt rushed.  

CretanBullGiovanniJTKIIIalexander.klassenRosawalton
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    I'm not convinced that "Jon kills Dany fade to black" is a worse ending. It would have been terrible for sure, but at least it would have allowed each of us to come up with a better ending that the one we actually got.
    alexander.klassen
    My wife just finished a rewatch of Season 1 and I caught most of it - Ned worrying about the finances of Robert’s tournament was more politically fraught than the Kingsmoot. 

I'm not convinced that "Jon kills Dany fade to black" is a worse ending. It would have been terrible for sure, but at least it would have allowed each of us to come up with a better ending that the one we actually got.

CretanBullBloodyTaco
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    My wife just finished a rewatch of Season 1 and I caught most of it - Ned worrying about the finances of Robert’s tournament was more politically fraught than the Kingsmoot. 

It's actually sad how true that is.  Everything used to have such a fine point, every detailed mattered, every decision had weight to it - you felt the consequences of everything, even somewhat mundane things.  That started to shift around season 5, but by season 7 nothing mattered, everything was a simple hand-wave.
    Giovannimajjam0770Doctor_Nickblacksunrise7
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited May 28
    I don’t know that this really changes anyone’s minds on the ending. Primarily my main issue with the final two seasons (actually for most of the second half of the show) is poor writing. I personally never had anything but the utmost respect for the time and effort put in by basically every crew member on the show except for D&D (and GRRM) who do not really come off the better from this documentary. If you personally didn’t mind the writing, then nothing in this won’t turn you off, if you thought the writing was bad, this doesn’t really illuminate any further explanations for the drop in writing quality that hasn’t already been put forward. 
    CretanBullmajjam0770Doctor_Nickblacksunrise7blue_sleeveDreamRycherRosawalton
  • I've had a lot of different feelings on the show and the ending over the past week.  I enjoyed the doc and even if it didn't make me feel better about the ending, I definitely felt uplifted and more positive about the show in general.
    awookieeSanguinePenguinblacksunrise7
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I caught this yesterday morning and thought it was just okay.  I do like though that they showcased the hard work that the behind-the-scenes crew put into making this show.
    rkcrawf

• Better writing and direction >>>> Costumes, sets, special and practical effects.

I totally agree with this, but given that the writing was a disappointment I’m glad that the documentary focused on the art department people. They are SO good at what they do and rarely recognized for it outside of industry circles. 
    I was tickled by the documentary, I really enjoyed it. 
    MarciBen
  • It should be uber interesting to see if commentary, editing specials, cgi is on future Blu Ray releases for S8 
  • HollyoakHollyoak Baltimore
    I have a different take on this than the boys, or A. Ron, I think, more than Jim. From what I understand, A, Ron wanted more of a traditional doc, with more focus on David and Dan, pre- and post-production, scene breakdowns and writing, etc.

I found this much more interesting than the usual behind the scenes extras you see on Blu Rays. You can get that stuff anywhere.

We've heard from D&D a million times. They weren't going to talk about the final episode. No way. This isn't an unusual thing. Ron Moore from BSG didn't say anything after BSG ended. Other creators and show runners have doe the same thing. I got the feeling that A. Ron thought that this show was a calculated move of some sort, but to what purpose or conclusion I do not know. (A. Ron, forgive me if I got your analysis wrong.)

I found one of the most insightful scenes to be the table read. Of course they're going to edit it. It would have been nice to have seen more reactions, but we got some major ones, at least.

I found it interesting to see just hw much goes into making the show. And I loved the profile of the extra player, who was a Stark man for several seasons. 

A. Ron, you mentioned that you saw some of the battle scene from the Long Night on a monitor and it looked better. 
    That's raw footage. When they go into color-correct, it's modified. Usually the director is in color-correct, giving advice on how he or she wants it displayed. Sometimes directors aren't even allowed a color-correct session, because they are notorious for fucking things up for "art's sake." Somehow, Sapochnick and the editor went way too dark on that episode. Were they trying to cover up mistakes, or bad scene-setting. Who knows?

Anyway, I ramble. 

Have a good day.

MarcibizmarkiefaderAeshaw90
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    The doc wasn't mind blowing or anything but it was fun to see everything that goes into pieces of the show that you take for granted watching it. It's amazing how much coordination you need between teams who are all fighting their own separate problems and how much work and how many people it takes to come together to film a few people doing a thing for a few minutes in these settings. It really highlighted how everybody on this show did their job amazingly well except the people at the top.

As for the podcast, I mean come on. This documentary was obviously not meant to be a defense of creative decisions on the show and I don't know why anyone would prefer another two hours to get mad about of D&D talking about how they wanted the audience to feel Arya's journey or whatever. Nothing they say at this point is going to fix what people didn't like and not everything has to be reddit fodder or play into some kind of 4D chess game.

edited May 30
    My $10 a month Lightroom program for photography has a little soft proof button that tries to show you what your picture will look like on the printer you'll be using to print it out, or in different colorspaces (I generally edit in a wider gamut than sRGB colorspace used for the web, for example).  So the many thousand dollar video editing programs they're using probably can proof what the final video looks like on different output media.  Or they can just take their final edit and go sit down and watch it on an uncalibrated LCD - so they obviously made some sort of a choice.

Has anyone gone back and watched now that the stream is less busy?  Is it better than it was the night of?  I watched night of on someone else's TV so I can't compare, but it's not totally murky on my 2011 Panasonic Plasma.  Turning up the brightness and messing with contrast, there's definitely a lot that is hidden though.    

Hollyoak said:

A. Ron, you mentioned that you saw some of the battle scene from the Long Night on a monitor and it looked better. 
    That's raw footage. When they go into color-correct, it's modified. Usually the director is in color-correct, giving advice on how he or she wants it displayed. Sometimes directors aren't even allowed a color-correct session, because they are notorious for fucking things up for "art's sake." Somehow, Sapochnick and the editor went way too dark on that episode. Were they trying to cover up mistakes, or bad scene-setting. Who knows?

Anyway, I ramble. 

Have a good day.