Which show had the BEST finale?

MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
Hey, let's talk positive! What show or shows do you think had the most satisfying ending?

Breaking Bad is definitely one for me. Season 5 and all the Nazi stuff definitely paled in comparison to Gus but those last three episodes are just wonderful and damn near perfect. That rising final shot of Walt is something I will never forget.

Also, a criminally underappreciated show VEEP recently ended and I thought it was a fitting send off. They hit all the right notes for their characters and that show was such a joy from beginning to end.
TravisNoelDummyblacksunrise7majjam0770CeciliaMrkcrawf

Comments

• My all time favorite ending to a show has to be the Leftovers. It was so perfectly ambiguous, sticking with the theme of the show of letting the mystery be. Honestly, if Lindelof is any indication of a show runner who bounced back super strong, I hope the Double Ds hit the ball out of the park with the Star Wars stuff.
    MurderbearCretanBullNoelMichelleDoubleA_RonrkcrawfcalebthrowerangelomaranoOpusWho
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Honestly, I really liked the Mad Men finale.  I thought it wrapped up the characters in a neat little bow - happy in their futures, doing what they're best at - including Don.  After a rough childhood and amid a tormented/self-abusive adulthood, he desperately needed to find some peace, self-acceptance, and self-realization.  I do think he found that.

MurderbearTravisDummyrkcrawfCALVlLlAINOpusWho
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    Six Feet Under and The Leftovers for me .
    MurderbearTravisMichelleTulipblossom
  • MrXMrX CO
    Halt and Catch Fire
    The Leftovers
    Star Trek: TNG
    Futurama
    Parks and Recreation
    TravisMurderbearmajjam0770
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    The ending of Lost was absolutely perfect
    TravisMichelleMattyWeavesrkcrawfBhorten1OpusWho
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    The Leftovers, Sopranos, MASH and Newhart.
    TravisMichelleMurderbear
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited May 29
    I can't wait to get to the Leftovers finale in my re-watch. I remember loving it, but only some of the actual details of it.

I love all things Parks and Recreation way too much, so take it for what it's worth, but I think they did a really fine job with the Parks finale. Great emotional notes. Characters incredibly well serviced. A nice symmetry was given to the series. Not the best episode of the series by far, but a home run for a finale.

I haven't watched it in a long time, but I seem to remember Freaks and Geeks ending in a way that was really satisfying (barring the fact that we should have gotten more of the show). 

Cougar Town also went out really well. Much like Parks, it wasn't the best episode of the show by far, but they did a great job of closing the story. It gave me the feels, but was also funny. I think they nailed it.
    Murderbear
    I don't know why I wasn't thinking of The Leftovers.  That finale went right to my heart, just as the rest of the series did.
    TravisawookieeNoelMurderbear
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    edited May 29
    If we pretend that Scrubs ended when Zach Braff left, then "My Finale" is one of the best ever.

I'm gonna say it counts since the actual last season was basically a spinoff.
    TravisMurderbearmattsCapeGabe
  • Yeah, The Leftovers was just such a masterpiece.
    I'm also a sucker for everything about Parks & Recreation and I really loved that one as well.
    Travismajjam0770
    Hunkulese said:
    If we pretend that Scrubs ended when Zach Braff left, then "My Finale" is one of the best ever.

Can we pretend that The Office ended when Steve Carrell left, then?  'Cause that would have been the perfect finale episode.
    TravisMarciMurderbear
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    The Sopranos for sure - it was genius. 

And over the years I find myself thinking a lot about the whole final season of Boardwalk Empire and how they wrapped it up by going right back and showing you how it got to the point everyone was at in the start of the series. It turned your (or maybe just my) sympathies for two of the characters completely upside down and I thought that was brilliant. 
    TravisMurderbearMattyWeavesblacksunrise7rkcrawf
  • edited May 29
    My all time favorite ending to a show has to be the Leftovers. It was so perfectly ambiguous, sticking with the theme of the show of letting the mystery be. Honestly, if Lindelof is any indication of a show runner who bounced back super strong, I hope the Double Ds hit the ball out of the park with the Star Wars stuff.
    I second this 100%.  As soon as I read the thread title, The Leftovers was my first thought.  It gave you the satisfaction of closure but also left just enough open to your own interpretation which is absolutely perfect for a show like The Leftovers. I thought it was the perfect way to end the series and I can't think of a show that's done better.  
  • Michelle said:
    Hunkulese said:

Can we pretend that The Office ended when Steve Carrell left, then?  'Cause that would have been the perfect finale episode.
    Even as it was, I really thought The Office finale that actually happened was really good. The last couple of seasons on the whole was pretty bad (particularly, I always hated Andy, but man did it get exponentially worse after Michael left), but I really enjoyed Dwight's wedding and I thought the panel was pretty good. I thought they closed it down pretty nicely. I really liked how it ended with Dwight speaking to people saying that he doesn't get along with his coworkers. Cool note to end on.

Not that episode but from the last season, I loved the whole Sons and Daughters sing-along on Dwight's porch.
    NoelMichelleMurderbearmajjam0770
    Travis said:
    Michelle said:
    Hunkulese said:

Even as it was, I really thought The Office finale that actually happened was really good. The last couple of seasons on the whole was pretty bad (particularly, I always hated Andy, but man did it get exponentially worse after Michael left), but I really enjoyed Dwight's wedding and I thought the panel was pretty good. I thought they closed it down pretty nicely. I really liked how it ended with Dwight speaking to people saying that he doesn't get along with his coworkers. Cool note to end on.

Not that episode but from the last season, I loved the whole Sons and Daughters sing-along on Dwight's porch.
    True, Dwight & Angela's wedding was really good.  And I love that Michael showed up for him.  I think I'm just down on the seasons after Michael left.  They're just so bad.  But yeah, the wedding was good.
    TravisMurderbearmajjam0770Noel
  • Michelle said:
    Travis said:
    Michelle said:
    Hunkulese said:

True, Dwight & Angela's wedding was really good.  And I love that Michael showed up for him.  I think I'm just down on the seasons after Michael left.  They're just so bad.  But yeah, the wedding was good.
    Totally. Not going to argue with you on that. I find the late seasons watchable now (there are even some good episodes mixed in), but you get the feeling that there was just too much writer turnover and they had already just had those characters do too much and the well was running dry. Either way, things really went downhill after Michael left.

I liked seeing this since he had his own tv shows that weren't The Office. Kevin Biegel who wrote a ton of Scrubs and was a creator on Cougar Town and Enlisted said this on twitter. I wanted to argue due to my everlasting Parks loyalty, but I think he's right/

Michellemajjam0770HatorianBrieanne
    Michelle said:
    Hunkulese said:

I don't really remember the final seasons of The Office, but wasn't it pretty much the same show just without Steve Carrell? Not trying to argue with you, but Scrubs was a completely different show after Zach Braff left.
    Travis
    Hunkulese said:
    I don't really remember the final seasons of The Office, but wasn't it pretty much the same show just without Steve Carrell?
    No, it got noticeably worse.
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Hey, let's talk positive! What show or shows do you think had the most satisfying ending?

Breaking Bad is definitely one for me. Season 5 and all the Nazi stuff definitely paled in comparison to Gus but those last three episodes are just wonderful and damn near perfect. That rising final shot of Walt is something I will never forget.

Also, a criminally underappreciated show VEEP recently ended and I thought it was a fitting send off. They hit all the right notes for their characters and that show was such a joy from beginning to end.
    I finished VEEP last week. I loved this show, but I am still haunted by the ending. Thinking about it now can make me cry. No spoilers so just going to say my opinion of two characters completely changed. I guess this is the very definition of a successful finale. 
    Murderbearmajjam0770blacksunrise7rkcrawfMarci
  • ShumShum Utah
    I think what @Hunkulese is getting at is the final season of Scrubs was actually renamed Scrubs: Med School and introduced a whole new cast, so it definitely feels like it was intended as a spinoff.  The Office might have felt like a different show after Steve Carrell left, but the last 2 seasons were definitely not intended as an Office spinoff.  It was still technically The Office with basically the same cast.
    Travis
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited May 29

I finished VEEP last week. I loved this show, but I am still haunted by the ending. Thinking about it now can make me cry. No spoilers so just going to say my opinion of two characters completely changed. I guess this is the very definition of a successful finale. 
    Which two characters? And change for the better I assume? You don't have to say any details. My guess would be that Ken is one of them? I was pleasantly surprised with how they handled him.

Richard definitely got the best ending, because of course he did. Ha!

majjam0770
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited May 29
    And I second the idea that The Office proooobably should have ended with Steve Carrell's exit. There are a couple of very good moments in there after he left but too few and far between. Too much Nelly, Robert California, Will Ferrell was only good for that invisible juggling scene, too much Andy...it just stunk. However, they nailed the actual finale. Even with as bad as the seasons got, it left me feeling good. As much as Andy got on my nerves, this is a perfect final thing: 
    MichelleTravismajjam0770HatorianBrieanne
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    Besides the obvious (to me) Leftovers, Lost, Parks & Rec, and Boardwalk Empire, I'm going a little unconventional.

I don't know if anyone is even a fan, but A Series of Unfortunate Events was perfect. Probably one of the most faithful book adaptations I've ever seen. All three seasons were a masterpiece for fans, and the finale was beyond excellent.

If there are any fellow VFD members here, make sure you watch it. Or just watch it and become a member.
    Travis
  •  Veep ending was great. Julia Louise Dreyfus is the best and she was even more gloriously ruthless than usual in the final episode. And I am glad they tempered the cynicism with the Richard character. I like a little heart in my biting satire. And Gary!  
    Freddy
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    The bald move holy trinity 
    Breaking Bad
    Mad Men
    The Leftovers

i also thought although they had problematic last seasons the finales for The Wire and The Shield were great send offs and saved the series from being in the other thread
    TravisOpusWho
  • The Americans! This is probably the only series I would rewatch because I thought the ending was so perfect that I want to go back and watch it all over again.

Spoiler free version- The tension and suspense about where people would end up. X on the train platform. But above all, the scene in the garage was probably one of the best scenes I have ever seen on television. I'm getting emotional just thinking about it now. 
    majjam0770MrXrkcrawfMarci
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    @CeciliaM I can’t believe I forgot The Americans it was majestic 
    CeciliaMMrX
  • CeciliaM said:
    The Americans! This is probably the only series I would rewatch because I thought the ending was so perfect that I want to go back and watch it all over again.

Spoiler free version- The tension and suspense about where people would end up. X on the train platform. But above all, the scene in the garage was probably one of the best scenes I have ever seen on television. I'm getting emotional just thinking about it now. 
    I am in a serious debate on what show to watch next.  I'm working my way through The Wire now but I've got The Americans, Sopranos, Mad Men, Battlestar Galactica, and Lost all in the list that I missed when they were on and have to watch through at some point in the future.  I would say near future but with those specific shows, I don't think "near future" is an accurate term of what's physically possible.  Any recommendations on where to start?
    Michelle said:
    Hunkulese said:
    I don't really remember the final seasons of The Office, but wasn't it pretty much the same show just without Steve Carrell?
    No, it got noticeably worse.
    Not saying the quality didn't take a nose dive, but wasn't it more or less the same show? Format and most of the same characters?

I don't know if you watched Scrubs, but the final season was about as different from the rest of the show as Better Call Saul is from Breaking Bad.
    Travis
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    awookiee said:
    I am in a serious debate on what show to watch next.  I'm working my way through The Wire now but I've got The Americans, Sopranos, Mad Men, Battlestar Galactica, and Lost all in the list that I missed when they were on and have to watch through at some point in the future.  I would say near future but with those specific shows, I don't think "near future" is an accurate term of what's physically possible.  Any recommendations on where to start?
    i’m in the same boat with The Americans and Mad Men. may just flip a coin but i will be binging one, if not both in the very near future. 
    awookiee