Which show had the BEST finale?

Comments

• CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    I should dig back into The Americans....I can't remember exactly where I left it, but I really liked it for awhile and then found that it got pretty bad - I'd have the episodes on my DVR for days before watching them, then one day I noticed that I'd had like 4 of them that I hadn't watched and I just couldn't bring myself to watch them so I gave up on it.  Having said that, I've been told by a lot of people that the quality picks up again and that it finishes strongly.  With some time off this summer, I'll give it another go!
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited May 30
    awookiee said:
    CeciliaM said:
    The Americans! This is probably the only series I would rewatch because I thought the ending was so perfect that I want to go back and watch it all over again.

Spoiler free version- The tension and suspense about where people would end up. X on the train platform. But above all, the scene in the garage was probably one of the best scenes I have ever seen on television. I'm getting emotional just thinking about it now. 
    I am in a serious debate on what show to watch next.  I'm working my way through The Wire now but I've got The Americans, Sopranos, Mad Men, Battlestar Galactica, and Lost all in the list that I missed when they were on and have to watch through at some point in the future.  I would say near future but with those specific shows, I don't think "near future" is an accurate term of what's physically possible.  Any recommendations on where to start?

A tough list to choose from! Off the top of my head, this is the order I would go with. I watched all of these when they aired, and to date have rewatched Mad Men and The Sopranos, and just started a Lost rewatch (although Lost is the type of show that I've rewatched certain episodes over the years).

1) Mad Men
    2) The Sopranos
    3 (tie) The Americans or Lost - Lost is more bingeable and fun to watch, but Americans is probably the better show and had a better conclusion (I think?). Depends on what mood you're in.
    5) BSG

Michelleawookiee
  • Hey, let's talk positive! What show or shows do you think had the most satisfying ending?

Breaking Bad is definitely one for me. Season 5 and all the Nazi stuff definitely paled in comparison to Gus but those last three episodes are just wonderful and damn near perfect. That rising final shot of Walt is something I will never forget.

Also, a criminally underappreciated show VEEP recently ended and I thought it was a fitting send off. They hit all the right notes for their characters and that show was such a joy from beginning to end.
    I finished VEEP last week. I loved this show, but I am still haunted by the ending. Thinking about it now can make me cry. No spoilers so just going to say my opinion of two characters completely changed. I guess this is the very definition of a successful finale. 
    I am so glad I was not the only one deeply moved by the finale. Very satisfying for the emotional beats that were all true to character and ..................., just tears. And like Dee said about Boardwalk Empire the way the end made you change your perspective on the main character without being disappointed by the show was masterful 
    DeeMurderbearmajjam0770
  • My list Breaking Bad, The Americans, The Leftovers, Lost, and Mad Men. I thought VEEP nailed it. Nostalgia favorites are Sopranos, Angel, and Star Trek:TNG. I liked Boardwalk and BSG (I’m the 1/100). 
    Murderbear
  • Angel
    DS9
    BB
    House
    White Collar
    Murderbear
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Am I the only who thinks that Lost could’ve ended really well with Jack’s “we have to go back” moment?
  • I should dig back into The Americans....I can't remember exactly where I left it, but I really liked it for awhile and then found that it got pretty bad - I'd have the episodes on my DVR for days before watching them, then one day I noticed that I'd had like 4 of them that I hadn't watched and I just couldn't bring myself to watch them so I gave up on it.  Having said that, I've been told by a lot of people that the quality picks up again and that it finishes strongly.  With some time off this summer, I'll give it another go!
    The Americans was never bad! Take it back!
  • Chinaski said:
    awookiee said:
    I am in a serious debate on what show to watch next.  I'm working my way through The Wire now but I've got The Americans, Sopranos, Mad Men, Battlestar Galactica, and Lost all in the list that I missed when they were on and have to watch through at some point in the future.  I would say near future but with those specific shows, I don't think "near future" is an accurate term of what's physically possible.  Any recommendations on where to start?
    i’m in the same boat with The Americans and Mad Men. may just flip a coin but i will be binging one, if not both in the very near future. 
    The Americans is a slower show both in terms of spending a lot of time with the characters as well as just..slow...  Like one time they famously spent 12 onscreen minutes digging a hole. 

Anyway this is to say I'm personally am ok with that, I liked that you got to sit in the scenes for a while, but some people complained about the "slowness" of the show and I'm not sure how binge-able it is. I watched it in real time so not sure what binging would be like but I think it might be better to space out the episodes.

I haven't watched the rest of the shows mentioned, but Mad Men is a little more whiz bang and obvious (IMO). Maybe you could get crazy and go back and forth? 
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Hey, let's talk positive! What show or shows do you think had the most satisfying ending?

Breaking Bad is definitely one for me. Season 5 and all the Nazi stuff definitely paled in comparison to Gus but those last three episodes are just wonderful and damn near perfect. That rising final shot of Walt is something I will never forget.

Also, a criminally underappreciated show VEEP recently ended and I thought it was a fitting send off. They hit all the right notes for their characters and that show was such a joy from beginning to end.
    I finished VEEP last week. I loved this show, but I am still haunted by the ending. Thinking about it now can make me cry. No spoilers so just going to say my opinion of two characters completely changed. I guess this is the very definition of a successful finale. 
    Which two characters? And change for the better I assume? You don't have to say any details. My guess would be that Ken is one of them? I was pleasantly surprised with how they handled him.

Richard definitely got the best ending, because of course he did. Ha!

Selina and Gary. One disgusted (not better) and one broke my heart (better). But most importantly, I saw this coming even though I held on to hope that things would be fixed right up to the time jump. 

And Richard. My my. So good. 
    Noelmajjam0770blacksunrise7
  • I agree with many listed so far, The Americans, Mad Men, The Leftovers, Breaking Bad . . . another for consideration.  

The Shield
    Miguel
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Hey, let's talk positive! What show or shows do you think had the most satisfying ending?

Which two characters? And change for the better I assume? You don't have to say any details. My guess would be that Ken is one of them? I was pleasantly surprised with how they handled him.

Selina and Gary. One disgusted (not better) and one broke my heart (better). But most importantly, I saw this coming even though I held on to hope that things would be fixed right up to the time jump. 

Yeah, that moment when she is walking on stage for her speech was incredible. In a show about bad people doing bad things all the time, it was absolutely the most impactful and brutal thing they've ever done.
    NoelTeresa from Concordmajjam0770blacksunrise7
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    I quite enjoyed the Justified finale.  The whole final exchange with Raylan and Boyd -

"Because we dug coal together?" 

"That's right"

...was perfect.
    TravisMrXFreddypavlovsbellTheRealCrazyDave
  • DrKen said:
    I quite enjoyed the Justified finale.  The whole final exchange with Raylan and Boyd -

"That's right"

...was perfect.
    Oh, good call! Somehow that one slipped my mind. Really great stuff.
    MrX
  • The Americans, Twin Peaks (Seasons 2 & 3), and The Sopranos
  • Person of interest. 
    MrXbizmarkiefader
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    DrKen said:

"That's right"

...was perfect.
    My man!
    Travis
    CeciliaM said:
    I should dig back into The Americans....I can't remember exactly where I left it, but I really liked it for awhile and then found that it got pretty bad - I'd have the episodes on my DVR for days before watching them, then one day I noticed that I'd had like 4 of them that I hadn't watched and I just couldn't bring myself to watch them so I gave up on it.  Having said that, I've been told by a lot of people that the quality picks up again and that it finishes strongly.  With some time off this summer, I'll give it another go!
    I wish that I could remember where I was so I could point to something, but I can't really...I'll give it another go this summer!  Having said that, most critics agree that season 5 is awful, but it bounces right back and season 6 is regarded as one of the best.
  • CeciliaM said:
    I wish that I could remember where I was so I could point to something, but I can't really...I'll give it another go this summer!  Having said that, most critics agree that season 5 is awful, but it bounces right back and season 6 is regarded as one of the best.
    I don't agree with those critics; season 5 was really interesting and took the family part of the drama to another complicated level. I'm glad I never listened to podcasts about this show (other than the official one). And who are these "critics" anyway, I'd like to know, but that's a totally different conversation.

Anyway, I rewatched the Americans finale just now and it's just as good as I remember it, if not better. 
    pavlovsbell
    CeciliaM said:
    CeciliaM said:
    I don't agree with those critics; season 5 was really interesting and took the family part of the drama to another complicated level. I'm glad I never listened to podcasts about this show (other than the official one). And who are these "critics" anyway, I'd like to know, but that's a totally different conversation.

Anyway, I rewatched the Americans finale just now and it's just as good as I remember it, if not better. 
    I wasn't watching the show at the time so I wasn't overly invested in the reviews, but it seemed to be the consensus view that season 5 wasn't very good.  I can specifically remember the guys on The Watch being pretty down about it, and so was Alan Sepinwall - there were others, but those two come immediately to mind.
  • Six Feet Under is still my favorite!
    MurderbearApril_May_Junecdrive
  • Hey, let's talk positive! What show or shows do you think had the most satisfying ending?

Yeah, that moment when she is walking on stage for her speech was incredible. In a show about bad people doing bad things all the time, it was absolutely the most impactful and brutal thing they've ever done.
    I’ve watched that scene several times trying to understand why it hit me so hard. One of the reasons is that you see Selena tear up as she hugs him. Broke my heart. I knew she would do anything to achieve the presidency but not this. Not this. 
    Teresa from ConcordMurderbear
  • Top 3 for me:

Halt and Catch Fire
    The Leftovers
    Babylon 5

The rest:

Justified
    Friday Night Lights
    Rectify
    The Wire
    Newhart

I will also predict The Good Place ends well
    TravispavlovsbellMurderbear
  • Dial888Dial888 Ireland
    tom_g said:
    I agree with many listed so far, The Americans, Mad Men, The Leftovers, Breaking Bad . . . another for consideration.  

The Shield
    Came here looking for The Shield. 
    Murderbear
  • jluzaniajluzania Denver
    I've been told it's MASH.

But the end of GOT has inspired me to finally finish The Americans and Breaking Bad, so I'll let you know. 
    MurderbearTravis
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    The Americans finale was perfection. I was interrupted during the final scene, and it annoys me to this day that I did not get the pure experience because I was on the verge of bursting into tears. I'm happy that Matthew Rhys won an Emmy, but Keri Russell was robbed.

Other great finales that have been mentioned:
    Justified
    Lost
    The Leftovers
    Rectify
    Angel -- I always viewed the finale as the perfect expression of the philosophy of the show, but I rewatched Angel earlier this year, and I have a darker reading of the character so now I'm not sure about the finale. It feels more tragic now.
    The Sopranos -- it's been a long time, but I was surprised by the backlash. I thought it was a perfect ending.
    Hannibal

There are so many shows I'm behind on. I'm looking forward to watching this last season of VEEP.
    MurderbearMrXkojiattwoodTravishisdudeness915
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Did anyone say Webster yet?

Webster. 
    FreddyMurderbearTravisMichelle
  • edited June 4
    The final espisode of MASH was AMAZING!  I was an avid Friends watcher and LOVED the series finale on that one.  I just finally watched the last episode of The Big Bang Theory and that was pretty solid - I cried <span>:smile:</span>
    MurderbearMichelle
  • edited June 5
    NO ONE SAID QUANTUM LEAP?!??

I mean...The answer is The Leftovers but NOBODY EVEN SAID IT!(QL)

I watched the finale of QL like it was the god-damn Zapruder film over 20 yrs ago...definitely stoked my ambiguous tendencies in TV later in life. 
    Dee
  • OpusWho said:
    NO ONE SAID QUANTUM LEAP?!??

I mean...The answer is The Leftovers but NOBODY EVEN SAID IT!

I watched the finale of QL like it was the god-damn Zapruder film over 20 yrs ago...definitely stoked my ambiguous tendencies in TV later in life. 
    I thought about mentioning Quantum Leap, but I only vaguely remember the finale. I watched it again maybe 15 years ago, but not since then.

several people have mentioned the Leftovers.

@CapeGabe FNL is a good call. I thought they would mess up the landing, but I recall it being a fitting end.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I was an avid Friends watcher and LOVED the series finale on that one.
    "I got off the plane."  :heart:
    hisdudeness915