Good Omens Show Discussion (2019, Amazon Prime Video)

edited May 31 in Other TV
Just saw that this show came out. Figured it was worth a thread.

All 6 episodes dropped at once, so I'm not sure what our spoiler policy should be.

Good Omens IMDB

Series Description:

"Aziraphale and Crowley, of Heaven and Hell respectively, have grown rather fond of the Earth. So it's terrible news that it's about to end. The armies of Good and Evil are amassing. The Four Horsemen are ready to ride. Everything is going according to the Divine Plan...except that someone seems to have misplaced the Antichrist. Can our heroes find him and stop Armageddon before it's too late?"
Travis

Comments

• I'm totally excited that it's finally here. I've been so psyched for this to happen for roughly two years now. The downside (or perhaps upside) is that my wife and I listened to ~2/3 of the book on a couple of road trips (separated by a couple of years so it felt like a good idea to start over so we didn't find ourselves lost) and both times we ran out of road trip before the book ended and I don't know how it ended and I don't want to wait to just sit down and read it, which would require starting over again because where I remember the gist of what's going on I don't want to have any of the pieces get lost. (note: I don't really do reading for pleasure, just fell out of the habit, otherwise I would have just read the thing years ago).

Either way, the tone of the book is so fun and the previews for the show and the casting decisions that they've made really speak to them hitting that home. I may have to try to temper my expectations because it's kind of an unfair starting point when you've been as excited as I am to see this. I'm kind of destined for a letdown. I can't wait though.
    JaimieT
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    I got out of this thread because the word "spoilers" was mentioned, then remembered I've read the book. I wasn't a huge fan of the book which is probably why I'm not jumping on the show immediately. I'm surprised it dropped with all episodes! That's cool of them. 
    Travis
  • Binged it all last night. I enjoyed it a ton. Really fun watch all the way through. Michael Sheen and David Tennant were excellent.

Plus after all the Game of Thrones micro analysis it was refreshing just to watch a show to enjoy it.
    BroRad33ElisaTravis
  • Also, thumbs up for the prodigious use of Queen
    Travis
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Just finished Fleabag (season 2is amazing) and this is next on the list. I can’t wait to start and join the conversation!
    ElisaTravis
  • Binged it all yesterday, it was a very strange show where I'd be halfway thru the episode and thinking its boring and i was just going to turn it off, but as soon as an episode ended I was like "Oh man i gotta watch the next one" and then halfway into that episode I was bored and want to stop watching, but then again as soon as it ended, I had to watch the next one. Did that all the way to episode 5. haha.

Travisjohnnytruant
  • Had a really interesting premise, but overall I thought it was just ok.
    Travis
  • CapeGabe said:
    Also, thumbs up for the prodigious use of Queen
    Not a spoiler, not even mentioned in the show just a cool little detail from the book. Still saying it just in case and I'll scroll down a little.

The Queen thing is a funny little detail about Crowley's car. Any tape left in Crowley's car for a fortnight turns into Queen's Greatest Hits. I always thought that was a nifty little thing to write in.
    CapeGabe
  • I loved the show, particularly the first 5, but did anyone else find the climax to be a little anti-climactic? It still all had that great tone and feel, and I really enjoyed everything after the climax, and I see where it might read better than it might be visualized (I never finished the book, as mentioned in my first post in this thread), but that was the only aspect where I was a little let down. My wife felt the same way. Anyone else come away with that?

Didn't kill and barely hurt the show, and I think it will make re-watches even better for knowing that's how it's going to go down. I still see it as an amazing experience, for what it's worth.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    I'm trying to make it through the first episode, I think my dislike of this type of British humor has continued to grow over the years.  I don't know how to describe the genre of comedy I'm talking about, it's a little twee, it seems very proud of itself for how clever it all is and there's a certain air of arrogance about narrators and people, though they might be twits.  It's very much the Douglas Adams / Terry Pratchett school.
    Shum
  • Just finished this. I thought it had a good start and I like all the historical parts probably helped by Sheen and Tenant who are great. It really dragged for me on the back half. Episode 5 felt like a DBZ episode with one character basically "powering up" and everyone else essentially stuck in traffic.

It also ended up feeling a lot more YA than I expected by the end. I haven't read the book so I really didn't know what to expect.
    majjam0770TravisBroRad33
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Watching ep. 1 now.  Michael Sheen and David Tennant *really* play off of each other very well.  I'm into the storyline but no matter which direction this goes, I think I'll stick with it just to see these two.
    CapeGabeTravis
  • What @johnnytruant said I agree. It was entertaining but kind of more for kids than I thought it would be - at least the ending climactic moments. Tennant and Sheen were great. Love the flaming Bentley too. The other actors also good but a bit separate from each other in their groups and it doesn’t all quite come together perfectly. But was some fun tv overall. 

I kept wanting to giggle at gods “ineffable” plan. It made me remember a coworker who heard the word ineffable on the radio and asked if it was the opposite of “F-able”.  He was joking but also legitimately didn’t know what “ineffable” meant
    TravisBroRad33