Netflix: When They See Us

mtron32mtron32 San Diego
edited June 1 in Other TV
Just started the new Netflix mini series based on the Central Park 5.  30 minutes in and I’m already fuming.  Much like “The Night Of,” this is an absolutely terrifying experience that most horror movies never achieve.  Being touched by the justice system is no joke.....now to continue watching, so glad I didn’t toke up first
ElisaSnarlingNikki

Comments

• mtron32mtron32 San Diego
    They’ve done a really good job with this, I know the story but damn.  Fuck the police
    Elisarkcrawf
  • sbench2sbench2 Ontario
    I just finished the first two episodes and now I’m too worked up to sleep. The young actors are all good but I especially like the guy playing Korey. 
    ElisaSnarlingNikki
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    just dipped into this. finished the first ep and already fuming. tbh.. i thought this was going to be a docuseries and not a production. the acting has already been on point and looks like we have a Leguizamo on our hands.
    Elisa
  • BrieanneBrieanne California
    I watched it all yesterday.  It was simultaneously heartbreaking/infuriating that something like that could happen, and is still happening all the time (although probably not on this scale and to children). 

The acting/directing was amazing, especially in the last episode.  This one will stick with me for a long time.
    Elisa
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
  • dragonsdragons NYC
    edited June 5
    This is really well done but holy shit.  

Minor complaint: use of the phrase "dumpster fire". Pretty sure this was not in use in 1989. 
    Chinaski
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    Oh man, the documentary was sad enough. I can’t not watch this... but damn. Buckle up, I guess.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    dragons said:
    Minor complaint: use of the phrase "dumpster fire". Pretty sure this was not in use in 1989. 
    i noticed that too!
  • I saw this morning that Linda Fairstein (the prosecutor) has been forced to resign her position on the board of a non-profit for victims of domestic violence (and several others): https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/central-park-five-prosecutor-linda-142900000.html

Thoughts on this?  
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    dragons said:
    I saw this morning that Linda Fairstein (the prosecutor) has been forced to resign her position on the board of a non-profit for victims of domestic violence (and several others): https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/central-park-five-prosecutor-linda-142900000.html

Thoughts on this?  
    Good start but not enough.
  • 30 min in and i felt like this needs more time to breathe. That’s just way too fast to have introduced the characters, sped through the crime AND interrogations. I mean, 30 min is way too fast to have Michael K be persuading his son to falsely confess. I get that the pace adds to the tension, but it’s a bit too much, for me. I don’t know if I’m going to watch the rest. 
  • dragons said:
    I saw this morning that Linda Fairstein (the prosecutor) has been forced to resign her position on the board of a non-profit for victims of domestic violence (and several others): https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/central-park-five-prosecutor-linda-142900000.html

Thoughts on this?  
    Good start but not enough.
    I've been thinking about this and I'm curious as to why nothing happened sooner!  The verdicts were vacated in 2002 and the city settled with them in 2014.  The Central Park 5 documentary came out in 2012.  I wonder why the public outcry didn't happen until now.  

Elisa
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    I can not watch this show! I tried Friday morning and I started to rage. I had seen the documentary years ago on PBS and I was getting pissed but watching this version. I watch Frontline sometimes and I get pissed but there was something that triggered(a term I hate to use) me bad. The prosecutor pissed me off the most, then I started to think about how Trump wanted to see these kids get the death penalty. I was standing up and pacing around. When the cops started going buck wild on those kids I couldn’t take it. I turned it off. 
    mtron32Elisamajjam0770
  • mtron32mtron32 San Diego
    kingbee67 said:
    I can not watch this show! I tried Friday morning and I started to rage. I had seen the documentary years ago on PBS and I was getting pissed but watching this version. I watch Frontline sometimes and I get pissed but there was something that triggered(a term I hate to use) me bad. The prosecutor pissed me off the most, then I started to think about how Trump wanted to see these kids get the death penalty. I was standing up and pacing around. When the cops started going buck wild on those kids I couldn’t take it. I turned it off. 

I think I paused that first episode at least 10 times, couldn’t get all the way through it. 
  • kuman07kuman07 Kansas City

The series is so well done and the performances are great. Ava DuVernay tells the story in such a powerful and emotional way. I watched the Ken Burns documentary shortly after it came out but this series is a whole different beast. It can be heartbreaking at times but needed be told with a human and emotional element, not just fact based. I lost it during the last episode. 

SnarlingNikkiElisa
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited June 11
    Really sad for those kids. exactly why we have rule number 1 or 2 here. cant remember which one is don't be a dick and don't talk to cops. 
  • I just finished this series. Even though I don't like the Emmy schmaltz, I honestly might have missed it if not for the Emmys. 

Rage is what I feel. Having grown up in Newark, NJ around the same time and knowing kids that probably got caught in the system (innocent/guilty), I can't help but feel a) fortunate that my mom moved me to the burbs and b) how incredibly efficient the justice system is at fucking someone's life over once they are in the system. I remember being in 2nd and 3rd grade, and at 3pm you had to get your ass inside because the high school would let out and it was like a horde of kids would roll through. All the other younger kids (mostly black and Hispanic) were afraid to be outside bc they might f with you. In retrospect, they weren't doing anything horrible like beating people up, but it was probably like the Central Park scene in the first episode. 

BTW, Even though I can separate life from TV, I am low-key happy to see Felicity Huffman go to jail because I hated her character.

@Cecily - Did Bald TV cover this series? I searched, but couldn't find anything. The story and acting is incredible. There are obviously tons of stories like it out there, but I think what this one adds is a perspective on how horrible the system can be to juveniles. It's also a nice parallel to this season of The Deuce, because the fear of those "wolf packs" was real.
    BloodyTacocdriveken hale
  • CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    @rkcrawf we didn't cover this one, but I did watch the Central Park Five documentary when it came out.  It's enraging for everyone involved.  The boys, just children, who were arrested, but also (and I don't know how much the Netflix series goes into this) the rape victim herself.  You can't even do a medical examination closely enough to determine whether it was 5 different people or just one?!

It's especially infuriating that this happened 30 years ago and it doesn't feel any different now.  Especially when we look at the people in power then (that could afford a full page spread in four different newspapers demanding they be put to death) and the people in power now (living in the white house now using Twitter).  Or when we compare coercing children into false confessions, like in Making a Murderer recently, and then relying on the thoughts and prayers that the actual perpetrator might confess to the right person at some time, like in Making a Murderer recently.  (Not that Dassey/Avery have anything in common with the CP5 at all, it just makes you wonder.)

rkcrawf
  • @Cecily - 1) I will have to check out the Ken Burns version...hadn't heard about it. 2) I hadn't heard that someone confessed in the Dassey/Avery case. I had kinda tuned that case out after I heard the filmmakers omitted a bunch of stuff from the original documentary. 

The coercion at all levels, and especially minors, should be punishable. I don't know how those people sleep at night.