What is your favorite store ever!?

cdrivecdrive Houston, TX

What store gets you? What store do you just go to even when you maybe don’t need anything?  No online stores. Amazon is DQ. What store makes you happy to park and walk inside and just do your thing?

Target
Trader Joes
Walmart
Ross
Best Buy
Bass Pro Shop
Home Depot
Macys
Bed Bath and Beyond
H-E-B

FreddyTravis

Comments

• NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Any high-end sneaker store. Especially if I’m visiting a city and they have something I won’t find in Dallas. Such a sucker for a pair of Jordan’s that I don’t need at all. Or some Air Max’s. 
    FreddycdriveCretanBullChinaskiTravis
  • REI, Metropolitan Market (or any fancy grocery store), Ikea, local hardware store - I guess there is a lot of them.  
    cdriveTravis
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Bath and Body Works :heart:
    NoelcdriveTravis
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Hugo Boss (and by extension high end clothing stores) and PGA Superstore. Love golf and golf related accessories.
    cdriveTravis
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited June 1
    Noel said:
    Any high-end sneaker store. Especially if I’m visiting a city and they have something I won’t find in Dallas. Such a sucker for a pair of Jordan’s that I don’t need at all. Or some Air Max’s. 
    Big sneaker head, but all weird Euro trash shit like Lacoste, Hugo Boss, or crazy Pumas/Adidas you don't see that often. I have a pair of snakeskin Pumas I got from Neiman Marcus that are ridiculous. Received every comment from "those are awesome" all the way down to "FreddyC, those are dickhead shoes".
    NoelcdriveChinaskiTravis
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Freddy said:
    Noel said:
    Big sneaker head, but all weird Euro trash shit like Lacoste, Hugo Boss, or crazy Pumas/Adidas you don't see that often. I have a pair of snakeskin Pumas I got from Neiman Marcus that are ridiculous. Received every comment from "those are awesome" all the way down to "FreddyC, those are dickhead shoes".
    That’s awesome. It’s not my main style but I do have some loud shoes. A pair of Air Max’s that are teal and pink, they belong in Miami Beach. I also have the frozen yellow Yeezy’s. And those I either get “man those are fire” or “it looks like someone pissed in snow” :D
    FreddyChinaskiMurderbearTravis
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    cdrive said:

What store gets you? What store do you just go to even when you maybe don’t need anything?  No online stores. Amazon is DQ. 

Amazon is Dairy Queen?
    Travisrkcrawf
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Cory said:
    cdrive said:

What store gets you? What store do you just go to even when you maybe don’t need anything?  No online stores. Amazon is DQ. 

Amazon is Dairy Queen?
    Haha. DisQualified. 
  • Cory said:
    cdrive said:

Amazon is Dairy Queen?

Now I wish I could order a Peanut Buster Parfait on Prime
    CretanBullTravisEine Frau
    Whataburger’s Dr. Pepper shake is delicious. Think Amoretto wedding cake.  
    NoelChinaskiTravis
  • I've always been a sucker for Best Buy but I also used to work there and now refuse to buy lots of stuff there knowing how much I used to get for given the 5% above cost employee discount. Still the best place to go, for me anyways, for high end audio equipment. 
    cdriveTravis
    edited June 1
    My store is...
    mother
    fucking 
    ACADEMY.

I have to get up and pelvis thrust after typing ACADEMY.

My oldest boy knows. What’s Daddy’s favorite store? “ACADEMY.”

Need to give me a gift? Just get a gift card to Academy.

bullets. arrowheads. Thermacell refills. Bungee cords. $2 led ball cap bill headlights in white and red. Back up boat plug. Knee brace. KT tape. Cheap sunglasses. Doe piss. Scent be gone. Lantern propane. Lantern mantles. Knives. Cheap sports bottle. Local team sports gear. Super combo saltwater freshwater hunting license. Peanut butter gel. Chucks. Socks. Ez ups. Lures. Line. Hooks. Beach towels.  Coolers. BBQ wire brush. Aqua socks. Goggles. Camo. Basketballs. Big chew. 
    FreddyTravis
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited June 2
    Long & McQuade (a Canadian guitar shop chain)
    HMV (I don't think that they have these in America, its a UK music store)
    Canada Computers
    Half of my wardrobe comes from Eddie Bauer...plaid shirt & jeans - the Canadian tuxedo! 
    The Silver Snail - comic books & Dungeons and Dragons!
    cdriveTravis
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited June 2
    Rhino Records Claremont ca
    Lovells Records Whittier ca
    Poobah's Records Pasadena ca
    Amoeba Records Hollywood ca
    Goat Hill Records Costa Mesa ca

Reptile Island Yorba Linda ca
    La Harbra Pets La Harbra ca

ChinaskiTravis
    kingbee67 said:

Bro now nut up and pick a favorite. Or rank em! I’ve done Amoeba in SF and Berkeley. Love that chain. Rubbing elbows with John Dwyer at a bar the night before then buying a Coachwhips record at Amoeba. 
    ChinaskiTravis
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    cdrive said:
    kingbee67 said:

Bro now nut up and pick a favorite. Or rank em! I’ve done Amoeba in SF and Berkeley. Love that chain. Rubbing elbows with John Dwyer at a bar the night before then buying a Coachwhips record at Amoeba. 
    Rhino would be the best. Some I haven’t been too in a while, not sure if there stil there. I have been going to some of these places going back to High School in the mid eighties. 
    cdriveChinaskiTravis
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    I think Barnes and Noble. I can get lost in there for hours. Music, board games, books, and more books, fun office stuff, magazines, chai tea latte, and an unusually clean bathroom.
    HatorianTravis
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    I think Barnes and Noble. I can get lost in there for hours. Music, board games, books, and more books, fun office stuff, magazines, chai tea latte, and an unusually clean bathroom.
    Yea. At this point amazon is the store I get pretty much everything. But I still love going into a bookstore and browsing. 

If i had to a store that hasn’t been mentioned I’d go with Hot Topic or Spencer’s...;) 

in reality im a big fan of Lacoste. So I Guess that’s my store. 
    MattyWeavesTravis
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Half Price Books
    RIP Orchard Supply Hardware

any store where I see a sale on shoes haha
    Travis
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    RIP? there are still quite a few in the South Bay. ya know, i didn't realize that Orchard Supply Hardware and OSH were the same place for the longest time. i was at work and a co-worker asked me if I knew where the nearest Orchard Supply Hardware was cause he needed to duplicate some keys. i looked at him and said 'hmm, no. but there's an OSH on El Camino..', he looked at me all confused and said 'dude, are you being serious? you do know it's the same place?'. i felt dumb and was blown away all at the same time :|
    Travis
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    Long gone:
    Fantasy Forum on the left there next to the print shop, with the Star Trek and RPG stuff in the windows.
    Regular priced role playing games and SF&F books on street level, half price used upstairs.  Spent hours in there.  
    Travis
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I used to live kind of near the Orchard Supply that was on Monument Blvd. in Concord (way back in the day, years and years ago).  I never really ever went in there for anything, but I remember it being a pretty big deal and it always seemed busy (for the most part).  I was surprised to see it gone the last time I was in town but that whole area has changed so much.
    Travis
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Chinaski said:
    RIP? there are still quite a few in the South Bay. ya know, i didn't realize that Orchard Supply Hardware and OSH were the same place for the longest time. i was at work and a co-worker asked me if I knew where the nearest Orchard Supply Hardware was cause he needed to duplicate some keys. i looked at him and said 'hmm, no. but there's an OSH on El Camino..', he looked at me all confused and said 'dude, are you being serious? you do know it's the same place?'. i felt dumb and was blown away all at the same time :|
    I thought Lowe’s closed them all. You made me a happy gal 
    Travis
  • FernNYC17FernNYC17 New York, NY
    Toys r us for me! Glad my 7 yr old got to enjoy it for a few years. Sadly my 2 year will never get to enjoy walking into that magical toy store.
    Travis
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    I’d have to say that my favorite store is The Jerk Store.

Btw, they called, and they’re running out of you!
    DummyMurderbearTravisMichelle
  • Lucky Brand, I am obsessed with their clothing, its a bit expensive, but love it.

Also FYE, just random nerdy stuff, love looking thru it. I don't know if they are nation wide or not...

Travis
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited June 3
    Noel said:
    I want to be a sneaker head but I am always afraid I can't pull them off. Plus, them shits are expensive! I would love a cool pair of maybe some retro Jordan's but I tend to stick with Adidas. Those are my jam.

But one of the coolest places I have ever been to was a little shop in Boston called Bodega. When you walk in, it sort of looks like a normal bodega but there is a Pepsi machine in there that is actually a secret entrance to this upscale shoe store. It was the first time I had ever seen Yeezy's. I'm pretty sure they had just come out. The cheapest thing in that store was a pair of sunglasses for $250. My friend and I walked around for a couple of minutes and I realized was way too uncool to be in there so we quickly mare our way out.

I just looked them up and they sell clothes now too so maybe the boutique stuff wasn't paying the bills. Looks like they've gone a little more mainstream.
    TravisNoelChinaski
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    Mitsukoshi, the huge store at the Japanese pavilion in Epcot. (Hey, I took this question literally.)
    Traviscdrive
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited June 3
    Great thread idea, @cdrive!

Total nostalgia play, but I have to go with the CD Trader. It wouldn't be too impressive now-a-days (though he moved to a bigger location that was a better fit, just too far to really make the journey any form of regular happening, then the internet happened), but it was my first non-corporate cool record store as a teenager. Little hole in the wall used joint, but he got the coolest shit. Bootleg concerts (videos and cds), cool indie rock records, great owner who spun great tunes I had never heard while I was shopping, buy 8 get 1 punch card(that I would somehow always misplace when I needed it so I always had like 4 cards with 3 or 4 punches). In a dumb sort of way that is basically lost now in the wake of Spotify and iTunes and Amazon that place made a real mark on my life. Stuff I NEVER would have gotten my hands on otherwise. We used to go out there once a month or so and just fish for hours. Man, I loved that spot. Really sad to see those types of places go obsolete.

Don't get me wrong, I use Amazon constantly and I really appreciate having the ability to just dial something up, almost no limitations on how obscure it may be, and get it in a couple of days. It is SUPER useful. That said, it also feels like things just aren't special anymore. There is no more "I can't believe I found this! I've wanted it for so long!" Now it's just "I'm so glad I remembered/gave myself permission to buy this." When you can just have anything that your wallet permits with a few clicks and generally free shipping, where's the excitement of a great find? I know the other side of the ledger is so much stronger, but it is a bummer. I'm envious of kids these days and their ability to basically have whatever they want for the cost of only a couple of subscriptions, but in a way I think the work, and the fear of things being out of stock or just completely un-find-able made it so much more gratifying when you came home with something cool. The experience is so disposable now-a-days.
    cdrive
    JaimieT said:
    Mitsukoshi, the huge store at the Japanese pavilion in Epcot. (Hey, I took this question literally.)
    I googled it... very cool!
    JaimieT