Chernobyl vs Sharp Objects at the Emmys

edited June 3 in Other TV
So I'm rewatching Sharp Objects and episode 2 of the Bald move TV that covers it the guys are talking about the 2018 Emmys. That got me thinking and if I looked at the dates correctly both Sharp Objects and Chernobyl will be going head to head for best limited series. Who takes what award do you think? I'd say clearly Jared Harris takes best actor and Amy Adams takes best actress but what about overall series? That's a shame they both qualify for the same year because I'll be damned if I have to choose one over the other.
CALVlLlAIN

Comments

• redlancerredlancer Seattle
    Emmys don't matter

It's who wins the awards at the Baldies™ that count!   :)

Michelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Chernobyl aired exclusively in 2019 and Sharp Objects aired exclusively in 2018 with no plans for a season 2.  I don't think they'll be going up against each other for anything.
  • BrieanneBrieanne California
    Michelle said:
    Chernobyl aired exclusively in 2019 and Sharp Objects aired exclusively in 2018 with no plans for a season 2.  I don't think they'll be going up against each other for anything.
    Actually, the eligibility period is from June 1, 2018 - May 31, 2019, so they will probably be going up against each other in the miniseries category.
    MichelleAussieGreg
  • OOooooo, so who do we want to win?

I loved both shows (only through ep 3 on Chernobyl, international travel really messes with your TV watching!) but I think I'd pick Chernobyl right now. 

Sharp Objects felt like an extremely good version of a kind of TV I'd seen before (psychological thriller/drama). Chernobyl somehow feels like something completely new, even though I suppose it'd be loosely defined as a historical drama. But the show just feels different, somehow. 

• asmallcat said:
    OOooooo, so who do we want to win?

I loved both shows (only through ep 3 on Chernobyl, international travel really messes with your TV watching!) but I think I'd pick Chernobyl right now. 

Sharp Objects felt like an extremely good version of a kind of TV I'd seen before (psychological thriller/drama). Chernobyl somehow feels like something completely new, even though I suppose it'd be loosely defined as a historical drama. But the show just feels different, somehow. 

As much as I hate to pick a favorite I think I agree with you.  I have never felt the way I do watching anything else like I do Chernobyl.  Granted a big part of that is the fact that Chernobyl actually happened and listening to the podcast knowing how much of the show is based on first hand accounts of the events that happened.  I think I have to give the nod to Chernobyl over Sharp Objects but I certainly feel bad for Sharp Objects because it is a phenomenal show.  
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Also agree. Sharp Objects was very good. But Chernobyl is great and really makes me feel and think long after it’s over. Not sure if I’m expressing myself well. 
    CapeGabe
    Brieanne said:
    Michelle said:
    Actually, the eligibility period is from June 1, 2018 - May 31, 2019, so they will probably be going up against each other in the miniseries category.
    Ah, thanks.  I just assumed that 2018 meant all of 2018. 
  • If you asked me after Sharp Objects (Hey I didn't call it Sharper Things!) I would have said it was a lock to win an Emmy. Now I think Chernobyl is a lock and not because it is the freshest in my mind. Sharp Objects was a great show but  few shows had me visibly tense the whole way through like Chernobyl. I could feel myself physically relax when the credits rolled. Add the great writing and acting and it would have my vote.

But as already mentioned The Baldies are all that matters anyway. It has a real shot of winning over The Leftovers this year!
  • I gotta learn towards Sharper Objects ;) totally couldn't wait for each next episode. Love Chernobyl don't get me wrong.
  • Isn't True Detective a limited series as well? I gotta think that will make some noise. It wouldn't be my pick for Best Series, but Ali against Harris is tough.

Chernobyl edges out Sharp Objects. Sharp Objects plays with some important ideas in an interesting way, but Chernobyl just feels important as a work.
    CapeGabe
  • Isn't True Detective a limited series as well? I gotta think that will make some noise. It wouldn't be my pick for Best Series, but Ali against Harris is tough.

Chernobyl edges out Sharp Objects. Sharp Objects plays with some important ideas in an interesting way, but Chernobyl just feels important as a work.
    I think you are correct, although I don't agree that True Detective should be in the same category. 
  • edited June 4
    awookiee said:
    Isn't True Detective a limited series as well? I gotta think that will make some noise. It wouldn't be my pick for Best Series, but Ali against Harris is tough.

I think you are correct, although I don't agree that True Detective should be in the same category. 
    Looks like they won and were nominated in the Drama series category for Season One and tried limited series for Season Two. So I guess it could go either way.

Edit: I had the years wrong. Emmys are still horseshit.
    awookiee
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    edited June 4
    Chernobyl will win, no contest. The writing is much better.

Which is saying something because Sharp Objects is quite good.
    edited June 4
    awookiee said:
    Isn't True Detective a limited series as well? I gotta think that will make some noise. It wouldn't be my pick for Best Series, but Ali against Harris is tough.

Since it has repeated seasons as opposed to Sharper Objects or Chernobyl (1 season each, a limited run), you are right and I agree, it shouldn't be in the same category.  That said, True Detective season 3 was reallllly good and deserves to win in whatever category it lands in, if only for Mahershala Ali's and Steven Dorff's performances alone.
  • BrieanneBrieanne California
    In the recent past, all anthology series could enter in the limited series category.  However, starting this year:

"The Academy also asserted that a limited series is one that "tells a complete, non-recurring story, and does not have an ongoing storyline and/or main characters in subsequent seasons."

This is relevant this year to such shows as AHS and The Sinner, which previously ran in the limited series category, but will now have to run in the drama category due to actors reprising prior season roles in the current season.

But I think True Detective could still qualify as limited series because there was only a quick mention of the Season 1 case and none of the actual actors came back.  I could be wrong though. 
  • Assuming all are limited series, I think I'd go:
    Outstanding Series: Chernobyl
    Writing: Craig Mazin
    Directing: Jean-Marc Vallée
    Actress: Amy Adams
    Actor: Mahershala Ali - really tough but I think he gets points for outperforming the writing on this show, otherwise easily Harris
    Supporting Actress: Eliza Scanlen
    Supporting Actor: Stellan Skarsgard
    Guest Actress: Sydney Sweeney
    Guest Actor: Fares Fares - but I will take Alex Ferns (miner chief)

• edited June 4
    Assuming all are limited series, I think I'd go:
    Actor: Mahershala Ali - really tough but I think he gets points for outperforming the writing on this show, otherwise easily Harris

I agree 100% with the exception of Patricia Clarkson winning the Supporting Actress instead of Eliza Scanlen.  Patricia Clarkson did an amazing job as the nut job mother in Sharp Objects.  Wholeheartedly agree with you having Mahershala Ali win the Actor category IF True Detective stays in the limited series part of it and go for the Drama category.  The other one I question in your list is whether Stellan Skarsgard or Stephen Dorff take the supporting actor category.
    johnnytruant
  • edited June 4
    Michelle said:
    awookiee said:

Since it has repeated seasons as opposed to Sharper Objects or Chernobyl (1 season each, a limited run), you are right and I agree, it shouldn't be in the same category.  That said, True Detective season 3 was reallllly good and deserves to win in whatever category it lands in, if only for Mahershala Ali's and Steven Dorff's performances alone.
    hahahaha you called it Sharper Objects too.  Damn you Stranger Things for creating this monster that makes EVERYBODY refer to Sharp Objects by the wrong name.
    Michelle
  • This discussion makes me want a mini series with Mahershala Ali, Jarred Harris, Amy Adams, Stephen Dorf, Stellan Skarsgård and Patricia Clarkson on any subject.
    awookieejohnnytruant
  • awookiee said:
    Assuming all are limited series, I think I'd go:

I agree 100% with the exception of Patricia Clarkson winning the Supporting Actress instead of Eliza Scanlen.  Patricia Clarkson did an amazing job as the nut job mother in Sharp Objects.  Wholeheartedly agree with you having Mahershala Ali win the Actor category IF True Detective stays in the limited series part of it and go for the Drama category.  The other one I question in your list is whether Stellan Skarsgard or Stephen Dorff take the supporting actor category.
    Those are both fair. With Patricia Clarkson I just disliked the character so much I can't be objective about it. Dorff is really close. I loved him in True Detective and he has the Dorffaissance going for him, so maybe it's just that Skarsgard is more recent. I think I'd be good either way. Unless they pull an ensemble cast thing and try Harris for supporting, then Harris all the way.
    awookiee
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    Well, with Jared Harris it would have to be about some sort of major enterprise sinking below the metaphorical waves.

CapeGabe said:
    This discussion makes me want a mini series with Mahershala Ali, Jarred Harris, Amy Adams, Stephen Dorf, Stellan Skarsgård and Patricia Clarkson on any subject.

awookiee said:
    hahahaha you called it Sharper Objects too.  Damn you Stranger Things for creating this monster that makes EVERYBODY refer to Sharp Objects by the wrong name.
    I think it's stuck in my head from when Aron used to say it. :smiley:
    awookiee
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    Brieanne said:

This is relevant this year to such shows as AHS and The Sinner, which previously ran in the limited series category, but will now have to run in the drama category due to actors reprising prior season roles in the current season.
    Wow, I just looked it up. I love me some AHS, but the fact that it's been nominated 4 times for best outstanding miniseries sure makes it seem like the pickings are way too slim to even have a category.