Super Serious Film Fest

JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
What are your ideas (or hopes) for future installments of Super Serious Film Fests?

Two I’d like to see...

1. Sci Fi (I know, super broad) including (potentially)...
- Gattaca
- Another Earth
- Planet if the Apes (1968)

2. World War II including (potentially)...
- The Great Escape
- Schindler’s List
- Memphis Belle

What else would make for a good Super Serious Film Fest?

jtmy92Travis

Comments

• Sign me up for a Gattaca cast, that's for sure.
    JoshuaHeter
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Travis said:
    Sign me up for a Gattaca cast, that's for sure.
    Are you in our heads? Is our studio bugged? 
    TravisJoshuaHeterCecily
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited June 4
    Shit! They're on to us. SHUT IT DOWN! Go ghost, we're burned!

You guys are going to do Gattaca? That would be very exciting news.
    GredalBeeJoshuaHeter
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE
    Travis said:
    Sign me up for a Gattaca cast, that's for sure.
    Are you in our heads? Is our studio bugged? 
    [Insert Ron Paul Gif]

... I mean, maybe.
    Travis
    Travis said:

The last two days we've been spitballing different ideas for S2F2, and we had an extended conversation about Gattica, and how for a movie I haven't seen for 15+ years, I think about it constantly, and wonder if it holds up like it does in my memory. Especially now that we're so much further along with genetic modification (hell, China has already CRISPR'd two, maybe three babies already?) that it would be an interesting thing to visit. So, not definitely, but it's just crazy the synchronicity. 
    JoshuaHeterTravis
  • I think it came up on TV prep. Or am I missing a joke?
    The last two days we've been spitballing different ideas for S2F2, and we had an extended conversation about Gattica, and how for a movie I haven't seen for 15+ years, I think about it constantly, and wonder if it holds up like it does in my memory. Especially now that we're so much further along with genetic modification (hell, China has already CRISPR'd two, maybe three babies already?) that it would be an interesting thing to visit. So, not definitely, but it's just crazy the synchronicity. 
    I’ve seen it probably 10 - 15 times over the past few years (I’ve shown it to a class I teach). While you do see some cracks here and there, it (to me) has been one of those films that rewards many, many viewings.
    I think it came up on TV prep. Or am I missing a joke?
    Shit, I literally can't remember what we say in front of / behind the camera these days. Our studio IS bugged, can't forget that, haha.
    johnnytruantTravis
  • LordByLordBy Utah
    You could do it as part of an Ethan Hawke fest (he was also in Dead Poet’s Society, Alive, Training Day, Predestination, etc.) or as part of some general Sci-Fi dystopia fest (like 12 Monkeys, Children of Men, Clockwork Orange, Cloud Atlas, Planet of the Apes, Fifth Element, I Am Legend, Minority Report, Snowpiercer, Waterworld, etc.)
    JoshuaHeterTravis
  • Travis said:

It's funny, I'm the same way with that movie. I think 15 years sounds about right, but it's pretty close to my mind considering. Definitely a movie that gains relevance as opposed to losing it with time. I hope you guys do cast about it. I think it would be a fantastic conversation and it's a wonderful movie. 
    JoshuaHeter
    edited June 4
    LordBy said:
    You could do it as part of an Ethan Hawke fest (he was also in Dead Poet’s Society, Alive, Training Day, Predestination, etc.)

Umm.... White Fang... hhheeellllooooo!!
    TravisLordBy
  • I'm not sure what happened with the Willow review (back to the basement?), but I was really digging the brick wall Greenwald-esque feel of the other installments. +1 for Sci-Fi installments leading into The Expanse.
  • MrXMrX CO
    LordBy said:
    You could do it as part of an Ethan Hawke fest (he was also in Dead Poet’s Society, Alive, Training Day, Predestination, etc.)

Umm.... White Fang... hhheeellllooooo!!

I want a Bald Move deep dive on the "Before" trilogy.
    JoshuaHeterShumCecily
    GredalBee said:
    I'm not sure what happened with the Willow review (back to the basement?), but I was really digging the brick wall Greenwald-esque feel of the other installments. +1 for Sci-Fi installments leading into The Expanse.
    I was kind of taken by that aesthetic too when I was editing/watching them. We're seriously entertaining an "idealized/streamlined Jim's basement" concept for our new studio look.
  • edited June 5
    greatest sequels of all time
    Star Trek: Nemesis 
    Alien: Resurrection 

and...Superman III...

obviously.

JoshuaHeter
  • What are your ideas (or hopes) for future installments of Super Serious Film Fests?

Two I’d like to see...

1. Sci Fi (I know, super broad) including (potentially)...
    - Gattaca
    - Another Earth
    - Planet if the Apes (1968)

2. World War II including (potentially)...
    - The Great Escape
    - Schindler’s List
    - Memphis Belle

What else would make for a good Super Serious Film Fest?

Would be up for these! Especially, Gattaca and Memphis Belle. Two movies I have more affection for than I should. 
    JoshuaHeter
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    Not that we have (officially unofficial) voting power, but I really liked having a theme you guys played off, rather than a specific actor or actress.

And Gattaca would be amazing.
  • I have heard multiple teachers over the years say they show Gattaca to their classes. Its a great movie, the one thing that bothers me every time is... What, No Lasik?

• Sci Fi seems right in the Bald move wheelhouse both in the hosts and the audience. When they did the fantasy around the same time frame as Game of Thrones I thought it'd be amazing to do a heavy Sci Fi one leading into The Expanse. Can't wait to do my rewatch leading into the new season where Avasarala can actually swear and seasons going forward don't have to plan for the commercial breaks.