X-Men: Dark Phoenix - early reviews

2»

Comments

• edited June 6
    DA62 said:
    kingbee67 said:

Currently at 22% I was thinking of going to see it but I guess I’ll go to Godzilla. Just checked it at 39% guess I’ll just not go to the movies this summer.

Godzilla wasn't particularly good either.  Go in with low expectations.  LOL
    My thought process is go into the theater with your expectations in check.  I go into Marvel movies with much different expectations than I do something like Godzilla.  I didn't expect much at all out of Godzilla King of the Monsters and I was actually surprised by how much fun I had with it.  I didn't go in expecting a great story but I wanted to see some awesome Kaiju fights and I definitely got what I wanted.  Go in with your expectations in check and you're much better off.  
    rhcooprkcrawfBroRad33
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    kingbee67 said:
    This movie was destined to fail. No big twist where Bran becomes the Phoenix. I think this was supposed to be released back in March but test audiences scored it low and they kicked to summer. So I guess Fox had there second chance at this classic story and they botched it. Maybe Disney can take a third shot. Anyway Phoenix was the last Chris Clairmont x men story I read and I’m kinda disappointed they couldn’t get it right.  

Currently at 22% I was thinking of going to see it but I guess I’ll go to Godzilla. Just checked it at 39% guess I’ll just not go to the movies this summer.
    Dark Phoenix is a bad bad movie. Godzilla is a great bad movie.
    BroRad33
  • I have no emotional connection to Sophie Turner as Jean Grey, so much so that when I see her it’s Sansa Stark  cosplaying Jean Grey. They did none of the leg work to establish the actress as that character in a way that we have emotional stakes in 
    majjam0770rkcrawf
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    kingbee67 said:
    Chinaski said:
    Rotten Tomatoes needs a 'Fresh', 'Rotten' and 'Decent, Won' Make You Sick' rating system.
    I hate old Tomatoes when they get that grainy texture. So grainy would be one of my description choices. Also nothing worse than a moldy tomato that squishes when you try to clean it up.
    What about a "I'd only eat this is I was starving" rating? First movie that comes to mind that fits this category is Nocturnal Animals. Yuck.
  • Misplaced, my faith in Rotten Tomatoes was, as was my faith in their Last Jedi good reviews.
    CapeGabeBroRad33
  • I don't want to start a new thread for Dark Phoenix because I don't think it'll get that much attention so I'll just keep this spoiler free but I feel like the guys were far too harsh on it.  Was it the best Xmen movie, definitely not but it was leaps and bounds better than Xmen Origins Wolverine and Xmen Apocalypse.  I felt invested in the story and it's clear that this is a story about Dark Phoenix which I thought they played it extremely well.  I thought the ending was a good ending of the series as we know it because this used to be a FOX owned property.  They mention Sony in the podcast but the only thing Sony has it's greasy mitts on is anything in the Spiderman universe, but Sony is playing nice with Marvel Studios so they are coexisting together.  Xmen and The Fantanstic 4 were the parts of Marvel that were reacquired from FOX. 
    rhcoop
  • awookiee said:
    DA62 said:
    kingbee67 said:

Godzilla wasn't particularly good either.  Go in with low expectations.  LOL
    My thought process is go into the theater with your expectations in check.  I go into Marvel movies with much different expectations than I do something like Godzilla.  I didn't expect much at all out of Godzilla King of the Monsters and I was actually surprised by how much fun I had with it.  I didn't go in expecting a great story but I wanted to see some awesome Kaiju fights and I definitely got what I wanted.  Go in with your expectations in check and you're much better off.  
    I am about to go in with expectations in check. I barely remember Cyclops from the last movie. I fully expect Jennifer Lawrence to dominate the scenes because Mystique truly is the key figure in the Marvel Universe. And lots of energy beams everywhere. And more time travel confusion. 
  • Done. It’s not horrible like Apocalypse was, but it’s far from good. I enjoyed it until Sansa went Mad Queen. And it lost some of the themes of the original comic that made it such a classic story. It tried too hard to impress with Snapchat VFX and moments that weren’t earned. There are a few really great moments, but it’s buried in a lot of bullshit. 
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    kingbee67 said:
    Chinaski said:
    Rotten Tomatoes needs a 'Fresh', 'Rotten' and 'Decent, Won' Make You Sick' rating system.
    I hate old Tomatoes when they get that grainy texture. So grainy would be one of my description choices. Also nothing worse than a moldy tomato that squishes when you try to clean it up.
    What about a "I'd only eat this is I was starving" rating? First movie that comes to mind that fits this category is Nocturnal Animals. Yuck.
    I thought Nocturnal Animals was really good. I was on the edge of my seat for the entire “story” plot of the movie. 
  • awookiee said:
    I don't want to start a new thread for Dark Phoenix because I don't think it'll get that much attention...
    I'm up for it, if you are. But I don't think many will have seen it until it's out on home release.
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    awookiee said:
    I don't want to start a new thread for Dark Phoenix because I don't think it'll get that much attention so I'll just keep this spoiler free but I feel like the guys were far too harsh on it.  Was it the best Xmen movie, definitely not but it was leaps and bounds better than Xmen Origins Wolverine and Xmen Apocalypse.  I felt invested in the story and it's clear that this is a story about Dark Phoenix which I thought they played it extremely well.  I thought the ending was a good ending of the series as we know it because this used to be a FOX owned property.  They mention Sony in the podcast but the only thing Sony has it's greasy mitts on is anything in the Spiderman universe, but Sony is playing nice with Marvel Studios so they are coexisting together.  Xmen and The Fantanstic 4 were the parts of Marvel that were reacquired from FOX. 

I kind of agree with you, they savaged that movie in the review.  It's definitely a LOT better than Apocalypse.  That movie is about unwatchable.   This was a luke warm movie, not great, but not awful.  The action set pieces at the beginning and end were good, regardless of how much sense the plot made.  Lots of good uses of the mutant's powers, but we needed more from certain characters that really sped the plot along in the previous 2 movies.

They made some big missteps that could have made this much better.  I assumed that Jessica Castain's character was a female version of mastermind from the Hellfire Club in the original comic story, not what they went with.  Going that option instead of what they went with would have been more entertaining and less complicated IMO.  

Another big misstep was the morgalizing that they had mystique do over and over and over and the handwringing of the other characters in the movie after the first act concluded.  I don't buy Beast's motivations/flips a bit, but whatever. 

They really shouldn't have tried to make this without Wolverine in it or a strong developed Cyclops.  That character is a cypher in this series.  

Again, not great, but not as bad as they painted it.  It seemed as bad as some lower level MCU movies to me.  It's not nearly as bad as that last FF movie or the previously mentioned Apocalypse.  

We took my nephew to see it in a 4D theater here in Knoxville, it was a really cool experience.  I'm sure that added to my enjoyment of the film, but I still think it's getting jumped on by the internet because it's not MCU and people are ready for Marvel to get the x-men back. 

Great cameo in the scene at the school after the first action set piece. 
    rkcrawf
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    rhcoop said:

They really shouldn't have tried to make this without Wolverine in it or a strong developed Cyclops.  That character is a cypher in this series.  

Considering those two are what the entire story is built on in the comic books, yikes what are they filling that time with?
  • rhcooprhcoop Knoxville, Tn
    rhcoop said:

Considering those two are what the entire story is built on in the comic books, yikes what are they filling that time with?
    Handwringing about a certain character whose arc ends early in the movie.  
    rkcrawf
  • I need to re-read the summary of the comic, but as I remember it, they could have done a better job of setting things up in the earlier movies.

For example:
    - The threat of Dark Phoenix and her destruction of a civilized planet is the core of the comic stakes. She needs to commit some unforgivable act, and what they picked in this movie didn't carry enough weight. She could do what Magneto did in the comics (sink a whole submarine crew), do what they did in Avengers by wiping out a city, or do the planet thing. 
    - To do the planet thing, or the Shi'ar stuff, you'd need to introduce aliens in that universe way earlier than they did. This was too little, too late.
    - if you go full Shi’ar, then you can set up a two-level conflict with Lilandra by having her as Prof X’s love interest in the earlier movie when he’s a recluse. She could be on earth for whatever reason. If you don’t go alien to keep things grounded, you could make a love interest out of the foreign leader that governs the city Jean eventually destroys. Then you have a love vs duty conflict. Maybe one or more X-men can’t get past genocide. 
    - They needed a stronger Cyclops-Jean relationship earlier. They did this in X1-X3, but forgot to set it up here. Then you have internal conflicts here, as well as the one above. But with the way things are, there’s nothing that sells the relationship. In the comics, Scott is doing the leader stuff that Mystique does here. If Scott (and Jean) come off as flat characters, then who cares about any of the personal stakes??
    - Then you can have these layers of conflict resolve the way the comic does that is thematically appropriate, even if there’s no fight against the Imperial Guard. 

To me, these things could have been fixed and are common pitfalls we see in other comic book movies. 
    awookiee