Hulu shows worth watching

So I finally was able to use my negotiating skills to pry my sisters Hulu email and password from her.  First time I've ever had access to Hulu as I never paid for it in the past. Couple Questions regarding Hulu

1. What Hulu exclusives are worth watching?

2. Did the guys ever do any Handmaid's Tale coverage (1st on my list to watch) and/or who has a good podcast covering Handmaid's Tale?

3. Any Hulu user interface tips worth mentioning to someone that's never used Hulu before?

Comments

• bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Pen15 is really, really good and a perfect time capsule of the early 2000s
    Frakkin TShum
  • 3 - what device are you watching Hulu on? I think the interface varies based on that (I use an xbox one, for instance). However, on both PC and Xbox one, it's basically the same as other streaming services. My main advice would be to make sure you use the "my stuff" button if you're sharing an account, since the service automatically bumps shows you're caught up on off their "continue watching" list, so if you and your sister are watching the same show, and she watches it first, you might not realize there was a new episode. However, my stuff shows all the recent shows anyone on the account was watching. 

I just looked at the stuff I watch on hulu and there's no originals lol. I was watching the cult show with Aaron Paul, the first season was good but then I kind of lost interest. 

• asmallcat said:
    3 - what device are you watching Hulu on? I think the interface varies based on that (I use an xbox one, for instance). However, on both PC and Xbox one, it's basically the same as other streaming services. My main advice would be to make sure you use the "my stuff" button if you're sharing an account, since the service automatically bumps shows you're caught up on off their "continue watching" list, so if you and your sister are watching the same show, and she watches it first, you might not realize there was a new episode. However, my stuff shows all the recent shows anyone on the account was watching. 

I just looked at the stuff I watch on hulu and there's no originals lol. I was watching the cult show with Aaron Paul, the first season was good but then I kind of lost interest. 

I'll most likely be watching it through my TV but if the user interface sucks with it I've also got an Xbox One that I can log in with. Thanks for the "my stuff" suggestion.  I'll have to look into that once I get home. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    The two Hulu originals that I watch regularly are Harlots and The Handmaid's Tale.  Both are very, very good.  Aron and Cecily have done a Harlots podcast recently as part of Bald Move TV.   They've also covered season 1 of Handmaid's Tale in 3 different parts as part of Bald Move TV, but they didn't cover season 2.  I used to listen to 'Red All Over', which is a Handmaid's Tale podcast but the hosts got to be a bit too annoying so I stopped.  I really hope Aron & Cecily go back and watch season 2 and decide to cover this new season.  I really appreciate their insights into this show, especially Cecily's. 
    awookieeCecilyElisa
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    edited June 6
    The first thing I would watch if I were you is Letterkenny.  Absolutely hilarious.  6 seasons x 6 episodes x 20 minutes.  Easy binge.  10/10

The Path was great, though it was cancelled on a cliffhanger. 8/10

Marvel's Runaways is low-budget Marvel superhero teen drama.  It's not great, but if you are into the Teen-aimed superhero stuff it's decent. 7/10

Casual was pretty good.  Loved the first season or 2, then never picked it back up.8/10

PEN15 should probably be your 2nd show after Letterkenny.  It's 100% middle school cringe humor.  Very funny, very inappropriate, very reminiscent of the awkwardness of middle school. 9/10

Hulu is also bringing back Veronica Mars, which was one of my favorites back in the 00's.  It starts on 7/26. 10/10

I haven't started Harlots or Handmaid's Tale.  

EDIT:  I also really liked Castle Rock, though many of the BM community who watched it last year seemed pretty disappointed with it.  I thought it was beautifully told and the ambiguity in the story was a perfect thesis statement of the seasons themes.  9/10.
    awookieeTravisElisaCretanBullDani
  • Oh yeah, I DID watch Castle Rock. I also liked it. It's not the greatest suspense/horror/king-y thing I've ever seen, but that's a genre I think is under-done on TV so it was still a good watch. A few great scenes and pretty good acting IIRC. 

The Path was the Aaron Paul cult show. Right. 

My wife watches and likes both Harlots and Handmaid's Tale. 
    awookieeElisa
  • MrXMrX CO
    The Terror just was released on Hulu if you never caught that. Has some other recent-ish seasons of good cable shows too, such as Fargo, Atlanta, Killing Eve, Legion, etc. if you need to catch up on those. They also have a very solid bench of comedies: It's Always Sunny, Parks and Rec, 30 Rock, Community, Brookyln 99, Rick and Morty, Bob's Burgers, You're the Worst.

I'm doing a LOST rewatch on Hulu right now too.

Haven't watched much in terms of their originals but I have been meaning to catch up on some of the shows already mentioned.

My son likes Curious George, they have a bunch of seasons of that!

MichelledarwinfeeshyawookieeElisa
  • ShumShum Utah
    Ditto all the show's recommended so far.  I would also recommend Ramy and Shrill as very good comedies that came out recently.
    awookieeElisa
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited June 6
    Difficult People is FANTASTIC if you're looking for a sitcom (seriously, one of the funniest shows from the last few years. Perhaps the funniest before What We Do in the Shadows came along). Alone Together is also really, really good. Kind of reminiscent of Love, but no romance at all and much funnier (great Paulie Shore cameo). I think Andy Samberg is a producer on it if that offers any window. Amy Poehler is a producer on Difficult People for what it's worth to that one. I also liked Casual, but we kind of fell off of it after the second season. Not that we weren't enjoying it, but just too much to watch and I guess it didn't make the cut.

Many didn't, but I liked 11/22/63 a lot. I also liked Castle Rock. 

We started Ramy and really dug the first couple. Haven't gotten to the rest yet, but it was a really promising start.

I feel like we've tried at least one or two others, but those are the ones that come to mind. I really want to try out the Into the Dark series. James Roday who I'm a big fan of made Treehouse. Pretty excited to give that a try.
    Elisaawookiee
  • Handmaid's Tale
    Ramy
    Harlots
    Pen15

Also, there is a version of Hulu where when you watch the regular shows from other TV stations, they are commercial free. If your sister doesn't have that, kick in a few bucks and have her upgrade because it's completely worth it. 
    Elisa
  • CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    I came here just to say H A R L O T S but these bawds beat me to it.

FOR KITTY CARTER!!!
    MichelleElisaawookieekianesc
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Cecily said:
    I came here just to say H A R L O T S but these bawds beat me to it.

FOR KITTY CARTER!!!
    MARY COOPER!!!  *raises glass of wine*

Elisa
  • edited June 6
    My current list includes Brooklyn Nine-Nine, Angel, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Killing Eve, Preacher, Lost, The Terror, Key & Peele, The Handmaid's Tale, Community, Superstore, The Good Place, and Rick and Morty.

I've watched an episode here and there of The Act and Castle Rock.  I don't know if it's worth buying just for those shows, but clearly there's enough out there for everyone.  Oh, and Stanley Cup playoff coverage. ;)

Try not to run Hulu with AdBlock or various blocking add-ons.  They disrupt the stream and Hulu customer support specifically said they can cause issues.
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I get Hulu free with my Sprint plan, so I do watch alot.  Hulu is owned by ABC (Disney) and NBC (Comcast) so all of their network shows are on Hulu the next day - see The Good Place (which is hilarious!), etc.

Other shows I currently watch:  Harlots, 12 Monkeys (probably one of the best time travel shows IMO), Good Trouble (YA, millenial but feel good and fun, spinoff from the Fosters), The Bold Type (YA, millenial feel good and fun), Marvel's Runaways (light super hero fair, really cool action), and Queen Sugar (family who inherit their dad's farm in Louisiana/Ava DuVernay created).

They also have some really good movies like:  Annihilation, If Beale Street Could Talk, Let the Right One In, and A Quiet Place.
    Travis
  • JoshuaHeterJoshuaHeter Omaha, NE

Future Man

• Thank you everybody for all the recommendations and the couple tips with using Hulu.  It is much appreciated and I now have an even bigger catalog of shows I want to watch.  I'm definitely more into drama/sci fi/fantasy shows more so than comedies/ sitcoms/feel good shows but I have already added the ones mentioned here to my master list.  I think Handmade's Tale, Harlots, and The Path will be the first 3 shows I tackle from Hulu and I'll worry about what's next after that.

@Elisa Thank you for mentioning 12 Monkeys. That was a show I really wanted to watch when it first aired but it fell off my radar. Then all of a sudden I saw ads for season 2 and was like fuck I don't have Hulu so I can't catch up and it fell even further down my priority list.  
    JoshuaHeterMichelleTravisElisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I just started Season 3 and it is off the hook.  12 Monkeys is totally amazing!  I highly recommend 12 Monkeys Uncaged Podcast.  They cover everything and it is great listening in between viewings.  I personally like to watch weekly or twice a week.
    Travisawookiee
  • Elisa said:
    I just started Season 3 and it is off the hook.  12 Monkeys is totally amazing!  I highly recommend 12 Monkeys Uncaged Podcast.  They cover everything and it is great listening in between viewings.  I personally like to watch weekly or twice a week.
    Awesome, thanks for the podcast recommendation as well. I listen to podcasts all day at work and always try to find a good podcast covering the show I'm currently into but that's tough depending on the show. Bald Move will always be my go to for TV/movie coverage but they are only 2 (now 3) people and can only cover so much content. I'm super excited to get into that show and will definitely check out the podcast.
    Elisa
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    great thread, esp since i'm on the verge of finally getting Hulu. this community makes my heart dance. thanks ya'll!
    Michelle
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I really can't stand the interface in general. It constantly acts like I'm watching things I have no interest in, and hides things I watch regularly. I love the service itself, but find the layout so confusing. With that said, I'm really glad Hulu survived, I was worried it would get destroyed by Netflix. Now that it's been purchased by Disney, I assume it will be around for the foreseeable future. How else am I supposed to watch Gordon Ramsay shows and perpetually put off A Handmaid's Tale?
    ElisaTravis
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    The first thing I would watch if I were you is Letterkenny.  Absolutely hilarious.  6 seasons x 6 episodes x 20 minutes.  Easy binge.  10/10
    YES!
  • I just got on the Letterkenny train... why did i wait sooo long. It is great, the first episode had me iffy, but then i just went on a binge fest, love it, love the quotes, the deep hockey references. Dry humor is so good. Hard Yes!
    Flukes