Summer Vacation

Anyone taking any cool trips this summer? Please share!

Comments

• edited June 7
    I'm afraid the closest I'll come to a vacation this summer is housesitting for my brother's boss for two weeks (while they're on a real vacation). But they have a smarthouse and like 8 cats so I'm gonna have a good time, too!
    TravisCeciliaMMurderbear
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited June 7
    Redding, CA in a couple weeks. OH YEAH! You know that's right!

Actually, it's going to be great. My wife and I are going up to see my grandma who is amazing and some extended family who are also totally great.

Beyond that, we're trying to figure out where we want to go. We have a bunch of points built up on a credit card which helps a lot. NYC, London, or Chicago seem to be the leaders in the clubhouse but we haven't decided yet. Maybe if we pick London we'll try to plan a layover in NYC for a day or so to see my brother in law and his wife, which would be great.
    bizmarkiefadercdriveCeciliaMMurderbear
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    Going to NYC for the first time in September. We got tickets to see Wicked and Book of Mormon for like 1/5th of what it costs when they come to SF, it's insane.
    TravisCeciliaMMurderbear
  • Going to NYC for the first time in September. We got tickets to see Wicked and Book of Mormon for like 1/5th of what it costs when they come to SF, it's insane.
    I was in NYC probably a year and a half ago with a group of friends and saw The Book of Mormon and loved it.  I am definitely not a person that is into these kinds of shows or anything like that but I was far more entertained than I expected to be.  Enjoy it when you go. 
    TravisbizmarkiefaderCeciliaM
  • Going to NYC for the first time in September. We got tickets to see Wicked and Book of Mormon for like 1/5th of what it costs when they come to SF, it's insane.
    That's awesome, man! NYC is great. We've been twice and had a total blast both times. It may not be the most exciting thing, but the touristy thing that I took with me the most from last time was just how cool the Highline is. Just this great park running above part of the city for a little stretch. Goes without saying, but great food. Oh man! Anyhoo, there is so much great stuff that it's tough to even scratch the surface in one trip. Have a blast and enjoy the play. Heard great things.
    bizmarkiefaderCeciliaM
    Travis said:
    Going to NYC for the first time in September. We got tickets to see Wicked and Book of Mormon for like 1/5th of what it costs when they come to SF, it's insane.
    That's awesome, man! NYC is great. We've been twice and had a total blast both times. It may not be the most exciting thing, but the touristy thing that I took with me the most from last time was just how cool the Highline is. Just this great park running above part of the city for a little stretch. Goes without saying, but great food. Oh man! Anyhoo, there is so much great stuff that it's tough to even scratch the surface in one trip. Have a blast and enjoy the play. Heard great things.

We'll have to check it out. We haven't made too many plans yet just to make sure we have time to roam around and not be stressed out. We did pretty much the same thing in New Orleans last year and it was awesome, though I would recommend not going in August because it was sweaty as hell.
    TravisCeciliaM
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited June 7
    Travis said:

We'll have to check it out. We haven't made too many plans yet just to make sure we have time to roam around and not be stressed out. We did pretty much the same thing in New Orleans last year and it was awesome, though I would recommend not going in August because it was sweaty as hell.
    That was more the tactic that we used last time (granted we were mostly there to visit family so we were more interested in hanging out than being tourists) and it was great. I've always loved just wandering around cities and NY is great for that. Between the subway and cabs and things just not being all that far apart in general it's a great town to bum around in. Grandiose plans or going with the flow, it's just a great town.
    I really want to make it to NO one of these days. My dad's side of the family is originally from there (my grandparents and dad moved to CA when he was a kid) and there has always been an affection for the place in my family. If nothing else, I just want to eat my way through the city. I hear such amazing things.
    bizmarkiefaderCeciliaM
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I'm looking forward to a sunny drive to central Cali next month! :smile:  
    NoelTraviscdriveCeciliaM
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Road trip to Florida here pretty soon:

Panama City Beach
    Orlando
    Cocoa Beach
    Vero Beach

TravisCeciliaM
  • Sadly, Myrtle Beach, SC
    TravisCeciliaM
    edited June 7
    Travis said:
    Travis said:

That was more the tactic that we used last time (granted we were mostly there to visit family so we were more interested in hanging out than being tourists) and it was great. I've always loved just wandering around cities and NY is great for that. Between the subway and cabs and things just not being all that far apart in general it's a great town to bum around in. Grandiose plans or going with the flow, it's just a great town.
    I really want to make it to NO one of these days. My dad's side of the family is originally from there (my grandparents and dad moved to CA when he was a kid) and there has always been an affection for the place in my family. If nothing else, I just want to eat my way through the city. I hear such amazing things.
    Oh yea, the food in New Orleans was amazing and there's live music in what seems like every bar we walked by. The energy in the city at night is so good. We had this waitress at this relatively fancy restaurant we went to that we just assumed knew everybody around us cause she would sit with them while they ate, I even saw her feeding some guy with his own fork. Then she gets to our table and she scolds at us for not finishing our gumbo (it had like, one spoonful left), so we laughed and she was like no you have to finish this and stared at us until we did it. When we were trying to get the check, she made me give her my phone and then she did a full unprompted photo shoot with my and my girlfriend, about 40-50 pictures in various poses that she dictated all the way to what expressions we should have and where to put our hands. Then she took us into the kitchen and introduced us to everyone and took a big group photo. She treated us like we were her kids or something, it was surreal. We were so caught off guard we came off as really awkward but it was a ton of fun. There really is no other city like New Orleans. It as a really interesting history that I didn't know too much about too. If you go make sure you do some kind of historical or ghost tours and definitely check out Nic Cages tomb.

The biggest problem we had was it was so hot we didn't want to eat a full meal most of the time. We still went to Cafe Du Monde about 3 or 4 times though.
    TravisCeciliaM
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    I’m currently in Italy! Shout out to Jim! My second night in Florence, this place is amazing. Those 10-hour flights are no joke, but I’m fighting through the jet lag. Headed to Venice in the morning for the weekend, then Rome for a couple days. Finishing it off in Madrid for three days. My first trip to Europe is off to an amazing start!
    MichelleElisaTraviscdriveCeciliaM
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    10 days in the PNW - Olympia WA to see my son and go to his gf grad and one week in the Mount Hood area of Oregon.  :)
    TravisMichelleCeciliaM
  • Travis said:
    Travis said:

Oh yea, the food in New Orleans was amazing and there's live music in what seems like every bar we walked by. The energy in the city at night is so good. We had this waitress at this relatively fancy restaurant we went to that we just assumed knew everybody around us cause she would sit with them while they ate, I even saw her feeding some guy with his own fork. Then she gets to our table and she scolds at us for not finishing our gumbo (it had like, one spoonful left), so we laughed and she was like no you have to finish this and stared at us until we did it. When we were trying to get the check, she made me give her my phone and then she did a full unprompted photo shoot with my and my girlfriend, about 40-50 pictures in various poses that she dictated all the way to what expressions we should have and where to put our hands. Then she took us into the kitchen and introduced us to everyone and took a big group photo. She treated us like we were her kids or something, it was surreal. We were so caught off guard we came off as really awkward but it was a ton of fun. There really is no other city like New Orleans. It as a really interesting history that I didn't know too much about too. If you go make sure you do some kind of historical or ghost tours and definitely check out Nic Cages tomb.

The biggest problem we had was it was so hot we didn't want to eat a full meal most of the time. We still went to Cafe Du Monde about 3 or 4 times though.
    That's so awesome! The bit about not cleaning your plate is SO my grandma from there. She will totally chastise people for not eating enough (and she always cooks for basically 2 people beyond who will be eating). Ha!

Sounds absolutely amazing! I really need to make it over there. Also, historical exploration type stuff is always super appealing to my wife and I so I know we'll get into that kind of stuff. Thanks for the heads up, and for the warning about summer. Good note to take.
    bizmarkiefaderCeciliaM
  • MrXMrX CO
    Heading to Tahoe area for a wedding in August - we've never been so looking forward to that! Anyone have food and/or family-friendly activities around the north side?
    CeciliaMElisaTravis
    Noel said:
    I’m currently in Italy! Shout out to Jim! My second night in Florence, this place is amazing. Those 10-hour flights are no joke, but I’m fighting through the jet lag. Headed to Venice in the morning for the weekend, then Rome for a couple days. Finishing it off in Madrid for three days. My first trip to Europe is off to an amazing start!
    Madrid in June - try some padron pimientos. And the museum of ham! Cup of vino for a euro and they throw you some chorizo. God I love that city. That’s my disappear to city if I ever strike it rich and don’t have to work.  Best city in the world. 
    NoelMichelleElisa
  • New Orleans sounds amazing. It's high on my list for a winter vacation some year.

My husband works for a cruise line and gets a big discount, so we take cruises sometimes. In September we're taking a 10-night Canada/ New England cruise that starts in NYC and ends in Quebec City. It has 3 ports in New England and a few in the Canadian Maritimes. We're planning to eat all the lobster and see all the lighthouses. 
    ElisaMichelleTravisbizmarkiefader
  • Last day at the Delaware beaches now with the family. Will try to hit Boston, Philly, and the Jersey shore before summer is over. Would like to be more adventurous, but kids.
    ElisaNoelCeciliaMMichelleUnderwood
  • rkcrawf said:
    Last day at the Delaware beaches now with the family. Will try to hit Boston, Philly, and the Jersey shore before summer is over. Would like to be more adventurous, but kids.
    Oh fun, my sister just moved to Delaware this week for work. She was living/working in Baltimore before. 

Your kids are going to remember these days forever! You can be more adventurous when they are over.
    Michelle
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    If you're going to be in New York at some point this summer, do yourself a favor and get tickets to "Say Something Bunny!"  (https://saysomethingbunny.com/performances/2019-06/)  I haven't seen it myself, but it would top my agenda if I were going to New York.  

It's got rave reviews, and only takes 24 people per performance.  You'll want to book well in advance.  Tickets are $65 each.  It is for mature audiences only, and if you're late they won't let you in.

Reviews:
    https://www.vogue.com/article/say-something-bunny-alison-kobayashi
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/02/theater/review-say-something-bunny-alison-kobayashi.html?smid=pl-share
    https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/26/theater/say-something-bunny-alison-s-m-kobayashi.html?rref=collection%2Fsectioncollection%2Farts&action=click&contentCollection=arts&region=stream&module=stream_unit&version=latest&contentPlacement=32&pgtype=sectionfront

From what I understand, Alison Kobayashi found an old wire recorder at a yard sale with 2 reels of wire.  She listened to them and became obsessed with learning as much as she could about the people on the recordings.  She spent a long time sleuthing and figured out who the people were, when the recordings happened, and took a deep dive into their lives.  The recordings were from the 50's, and most of the people in them are dead.  The performance is about those people, the recordings, and her detective work.  

It's 2 hours 20 minutes long with a brief intermission.
    CecilyTravisbizmarkiefader
  • CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    We finally just booked our adult vacation in Colorado Springs for late June and we are actively planning our trip to Florida for sometime in August.  I need some SUN and OUTSIDE ASAP ROCKY.
    FreddyTravisMichelleUnderwood
  • CeciliaM said:
    New Orleans sounds amazing. It's high on my list for a winter vacation some year.

My husband works for a cruise line and gets a big discount, so we take cruises sometimes. In September we're taking a 10-night Canada/ New England cruise that starts in NYC and ends in Quebec City. It has 3 ports in New England and a few in the Canadian Maritimes. We're planning to eat all the lobster and see all the lighthouses. 
    I have a couple friends who did that (the cruises searching for lobster and lighthouses) around a year ago and they had a great time. Cool trip. Enjoy!
    CeciliaM
  • Cecily said:
    We finally just booked our adult vacation in Colorado Springs for late June and we are actively planning our trip to Florida for sometime in August.  I need some SUN and OUTSIDE ASAP ROCKY.
    Florida in August? You're made of stronger stuff than I am.
    Elisa
    Suntan oil, cold lemonade on ice, and Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam - sunbathing in my back yard at 6:40 pm.  Now it feels like summer! :sunglasses:
    cdriveCeciliaMNoelTravisElisa
  • NoelNoel Dallas, TX
    Michelle said:
    Suntan oil, cold lemonade on ice, and Lisa Lisa & Cult Jam - sunbathing in my back yard at 6:40 pm.  Now it feels like summer! :sunglasses:
    Cold ass lemonade is THE best summer drink
    TravisMichelle
  • Noel said:
    Michelle said:
    Cold ass lemonade is THE best summer drink
    For me, it's an Arnold Palmer with ginger hibiscus iced tea and about a 65/35 ratio of tea to lemonade from the Veggie Grill. Oh man, I've never liked anything iced tea related, but that stuff is so crazy refreshing and delicious.
    CeciliaMMichelleNoel
    Michelle said:
    Yahhhhh!!!

MichelleElisa
    edited June 11
    Gander Outdoors is driving me crazy with the shipping of my Yakima Rocketbox Pro 14 taking so long right before our push off date.  I need it to make the cab more comfy and to be able to bring my typical beach get-up:  utility cart w/ cooler, collapsible chairs, ez-up, and beach bags all tied down nicely with bungee cords.  Makes getting on and off and through the sand easy.  

Oh and our 7 yr old heard Mom and Dad lamenting to each other about how the kids don't care about Magical Kingdom and we were both confessing to each other how we each personally were wanting to go. Us... the adults.  I mean, saving $500 was totally cool too, but he comes around the corner and says "I have something to say. I changed my mind.  I do want to go to Disney now."  So there it is.  A day at Magical Kingdom.

MichelleCeciliaMElisa
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    Going to Sea Isle NJ for four days, and then immediately afterwards going to Charleston SC for a bachelor party for three days. Have heard excellent things about Charleston, so looking forward to that!
    MichelleTravis
    cdrive said:

That's a lot of 80s in one video! 
    Elisacdrive