"Russia hates HBO's Chernobyl, decides to make its own series" - AV Club article

Comments

• HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    The text at the end of the series has Gorbachev saying this was the real reason behind the downfall of the Soviet Union. If so it would be interesting to get a conspiracy theory version that it was actually the US who caused the meltdown. 
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    I can't wait for the American scenes to be played by Russian's and everyone in the White House is speaking Russian.

Two birds with one stone and all that.
    rkcrawf
  • So much for the complaints that the series should only have been made by the Russians. Your wish was granted and this is what you get. It was Jason Bourne's fault.
    kojiattwoodcdriveMarcirkcrawf
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    CapeGabe said:
    So much for the complaints that the series should only have been made by the Russians. Your wish was granted and this is what you get. It was Jason Bourne's fault.
    Da!

kojiattwoodCapeGabeFreddyBloodyTaconstinson
  • All the ChickensAll the Chickens Birmingham, AL
    edited June 7
    You know, this would be acceptable if it were stated to be a alternate historical fiction, like many have done with past events. Abe Lincoln fighting confederate vampires, for example.

Regardless, I wonder if anyone will complain about Russian actors playing American characters? Doubtful.

JaimieTkojiattwoodCapeGaberhcoopOpusWhoDoubleA_Ronnstinson
  • Russia doesn't appreciate the cost of lies. Or maybe they do, they appreciate chaos from the cost of lies. 
    CapeGabe
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    I was talking to a stripper last night, and at some point she said "...easiest 40 dollars I've ever made." I reflexively said "they should put that on our money."
    cdriverkcrawf
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    Of his story, Muradov says, “One theory holds that Americans had infiltrated the Chernobyl nuclear power plant and many historians do not deny that, on the day of the explosion, an agent of the enemy’s intelligence services was present at the station.” The heroes, then, will not be the scientists, soldiers, and civilians who helped prevent a further spread of radiation, but rather the KGB officers trying to thwart these CIA operatives.

Sounds like a old-school version of what we did *coughcough* with the Stuxnet virus and the Iran nuclear program. 

To be fair, if Russian state media did a dramatic documentary of something like the Challenger/Columbia disasters, or the downfall of the Nixon administration, US would likely have some issues with it too.
    nstinson
    redlancer said:

To be fair, if Russian state media did a dramatic documentary of something like the Challenger/Columbia disasters, or the downfall of the Nixon administration, US would likely have some issues with it too.
    The difference would be that Americans already criticize ourselves and our history constantly in art, entertainment, and in public commentary. What could Russia say about Nixon, for example, that American filmmakers haven't already said?

Despite our patriotism, we are probably #1 in self-loathing. I don't know, maybe the UK is #1. Either way, it's a stark contrast between us and Russia in how we are able to publicly criticize our past and current events, and even how we sometimes skew towards painting ourselves with a more negative brush just to prove that we aren't biased patriots.
    redlancerrhcoop
    edited June 8
    FWIW, I would probably watch a Russian produced historical drama on an American event just to see how far their "little brother syndrome" takes them into the rabbit hole of hilariousness. I would actually love for a film to be made set in a universe where the Russians beat the US in the space race, and our histories were flipped where we're the recovering failed capitalists with a case of LBS towards Russia, and they are the thriving communist state with their version of a soviet Silicon Valley.
    rhcoop
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    Say what you will, but at least the accents will be authentic. And...you know...not too much else :)
    CapeGabe
  • I missed that subplot in the China Syndrome where a young Jack Ryan fights valiantly against the KBG saboteurs.
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    FWIW, I would probably watch a Russian produced historical drama on an American event just to see how far their "little brother syndrome" takes them into the rabbit hole of hilariousness. I would actually love for a film to be made set in a universe where the Russians beat the US in the space race, and our histories were flipped where we're the recovering failed capitalists with a case of LBS towards Russia, and they are the thriving communist state with their version of a soviet Silicon Valley.
    Um, not sure if you're joking, but Apple just revealed their first major show that is based around the fallout of the USSR beating the United States to the moon.
    Cory
    Hunkulese said:
    Um, not sure if you're joking, but Apple just revealed their first major show that is based around the fallout of the USSR beating the United States to the moon.
    I am mostly joking, but damn Apple, get out of my head. 
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited June 8
    That's interesting.  I wonder if it posits what would have happened had the main architect of the Soviet space flight program not gotten sick and died, though I think the Soviets were well behind at the time he died. 

Hunkulese said:

Janel
  • edited June 8
    That's interesting.  I wonder if it posits what would have happened had the main architect of the Soviet space flight program not gotten sick and died, though I think the Soviets were well behind at the time he died. 

Yeah, that has to be their angle. What makes Korolev's death ironic is he died from all the damage he sustained in the gulag for 10 years when a jealous rival got him on Stalin's list.

I still don't think they could have beaten us to the moon. The N1 was a gigantic cluster of small engines. Too much piping and things to go wrong.

That is why the F1 engines on the Saturn V were so amazing. It is incredibly difficult to scale up a rocket engine in size.

• My reaction to this news based on reading the headline couldn’t be further from my reaction to afterwards. 
  • I thought there already was a documentary,
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stalker_(1979_film)

All the Chickens
    About self loathing, you don't know many germans, do you? I feel really bad for not explaining that part better. :-)