AMC A-List

Has anyone tried this?
https://www.amctheatres.com/amcstubs/alist

You pay $21.95 a month and get to see up to three movies a week at AMC theatres. You also get more points on concessions purchases and such. 

My husband's friend told him about it and no one I know has heard of it so just spreading the word! Hubby will probably sign up soon. Friend said IT CHANGED HIS LIFE! :) 
Travis

Comments

• Yep I’ve been with it since day one. It’s wonderful. I see everything in Dolby Cinema or IMAX, booked in advance. It’s easy to cancel a reservation if you can’t make it, and as far as I know there’s no consequences for cancelling or even no-showing. I view it as similar to a gym membership. 
    CeciliaM
  • Also had it since day one. If you have an AMC close to you, or in my case several, then it’s an excellent service that can pay for itself in like 2 movies, depending on what format you see it in. 

If you're like me and go see like 4-5 movies a month and have access to an AMC I don’t know why you wouldn’t have the service.
    TravisCeciliaM
  • edited June 11
    Like the last 2 I've had it since the day they started it and it's been amazing for me.  I've seen so many movies that I normally would have never seen.  The biggest advantage to me of this over the other types of "moviepass" like services is that you can do any format (IMAX, 3D, Dolby).  I've probably seen more movies in the 1 Dolby theater near me than any other theater.  Like they've said you can book in advance but you can ONLY have 3 reservations at a time whether or not you've used your 3 for the week.  Just something to keep in mind not to use up all your spots with reservations for future movies that are coming out (If you have reservations for 3 future movies you can't book another movie until you either cancel one of those or see the movie which opens up a spot).  I absolutely love it and I'd say "changed my life" is probably going a little overboard but also not that far from the truth either.  Also if you like their popcorn, they sell yearly buckets that are more expensive the 1st time you buy it but refills are only like $4.50 which will pay for itself real quick. If you have any specific questions don't hesitate to ask. 
    Travis
  • I'm gathering from the background here that there aren't restrictions (beyond only being able to, in a way of speaking, have 3 tickets in play at a time). Is that correct? I don't know if we go to the movies enough to justify $44/month for both of us, but I could see us going more if that was on the table. Something to think about.
  • edited June 11
    Travis said:
    I'm gathering from the background here that there aren't restrictions (beyond only being able to, in a way of speaking, have 3 tickets in play at a time). Is that correct? I don't know if we go to the movies enough to justify $44/month for both of us, but I could see us going more if that was on the table. Something to think about.
    Yes you are correct in that there are really no restrictions.  The only thing that isn't included is special movie marathons or the fan events that happen.  The other thing worth mentioning is that different states have slightly different price points for A list.  I pay 21.95 per month in Minnesota but California is in the higher bracket that is 23.95.  I believe it's more or less because the ticket prices in those states are higher than most other states.  It more than pays for itself for me, I go to 1 Dolby showing at the theater near me and it's about $18 per ticket, so with 1 movie the monthly subscription almost pays for itself but it's 100% dependent on how often you will use it.  My regular theater showing is about $12 a ticket so 2 showings essentially makes it worth while for the month and I typically see much more than that.
    Travis
  • Thanks man. That is super intriguing. We go to the Regal by us, but we do have an AMC really close (just not as good of a theater). I'm going to have to weigh this out with my wife. We only go to the movies a couple of times a year, but we've talked about wanting to go a lot more than we do. We briefly talked about MoviePass, but it sounded like there were too many conditions complicating things. Something as cut and dry as this may be worth revisiting. I'm so glad this thread happened.
    awookiee
  • Travis said:
    Thanks man. That is super intriguing. We go to the Regal by us, but we do have an AMC really close (just not as good of a theater). I'm going to have to weigh this out with my wife. We only go to the movies a couple of times a year, but we've talked about wanting to go a lot more than we do. We briefly talked about MoviePass, but it sounded like there were too many conditions complicating things. Something as cut and dry as this may be worth revisiting. I'm so glad this thread happened.
    Another thing to add is that the subscription costs count for AMC rewards points, and their program for that seems almost too good to be true. I usually get a drink whenever I go and it seems like every three or four times I have a $5 credit on my account from the points. 
  • Hey people, I do work for an AMC so if you have any questions feel free. But what everyone said here is true. Depends on how many movies you see and how much your local theater costs. My IMAX theater costs 19.19 so ya, at that price you get 11 free movies after paying for 1. Also- so you get 3 a week from starting on Friday and ending Thursday; if you dont use them you lose them. BUT if on Thursday you have not used a movie from that week, you can get a ticket to a movie next week or the week after or next month. Then you still get ANOTHER three movies on Friday.       As for the points, i think its 1 cent to 1 point, so for $50 you get 5$. So another way we will give you the money back if you buy something you were already going to buy. THE BIGGEST ISSUE I get is the ID requirement. You MUST bring an ID with face and name to the theatre or I cant let you in. I or my employees will be fired if we do. So dont be that person.
    awookieeCeciliaM
  • edited June 11
    Travis said:
    I'm gathering from the background here that there aren't restrictions (beyond only being able to, in a way of speaking, have 3 tickets in play at a time). Is that correct? I don't know if we go to the movies enough to justify $44/month for both of us, but I could see us going more if that was on the table. Something to think about.
    My husband's friend said that occasionally there will be an old movie that doesn't count for some reason.That must be the "special movie marathons or the fan events that happen." that @awookiee was talking about. But you get your tickets through an app so you will find out there and not just show up like a dummy and be embarrassed. :) That's what I was worried about :) 

As a couple, the thing I was thinking was- it can get expensive very fast to go to movies so I would love to just be able to budget either the $22 or $44 a month rather than have surprises arise like "we need to go see Zombie Soldiers 4 in 3D tomorrow, or we will hear spoilers galore and I really want to see it" and that turns into $40 by itself. And of course that's the week the cat needed to go to the vet and get $80 worth of medicine because she has a sinus infection. Where is Obamacare for cats, I ask you?

I haven't decided if we will join for me or just for him yet since hubby is interested in way more movies than I am, there are a lot of movies he goes to alone because I am not interested, and he could still buy my ticket and get extra loyalty points if he is in the program. But I might like going to more movies if it wasn't so expensive, and sometimes I just don't go because I don't want to spend upwards of $20 to see Zombie Warriors Collide 4 or whatever, but I would go just for giggles if i was in the program probably. I could see going to see two movies a month definitely in the fall and winter when all the big dramas are out, hmm... maybe I have talked myself into this lol

BTW I read that you do get the loyalty points on the $ you spend for your monthly membership fee, and the cash back on the loyalty points is basically like getting a 10% discount. You get more loyalty points in this program than if you are just a regular paying customer.
    Travis
  • zh90538 said:
    Hey people, I do work for an AMC so if you have any questions feel free. But what everyone said here is true. Depends on how many movies you see and how much your local theater costs. My IMAX theater costs 19.19 so ya, at that price you get 11 free movies after paying for 1. Also- so you get 3 a week from starting on Friday and ending Thursday; if you dont use them you lose them. BUT if on Thursday you have not used a movie from that week, you can get a ticket to a movie next week or the week after or next month. Then you still get ANOTHER three movies on Friday.       As for the points, i think its 1 cent to 1 point, so for $50 you get 5$. So another way we will give you the money back if you buy something you were already going to buy. THE BIGGEST ISSUE I get is the ID requirement. You MUST bring an ID with face and name to the theatre or I cant let you in. I or my employees will be fired if we do. So dont be that person.
    Thank you! My only question right now is, if you are a married couple, I assume you have to have separate accounts? 
  • Thank you! My only question right now is, if you are a married couple, I assume you have to have separate accounts? 
    Yes. Each person must have their own account with their own email and bring their own ID. 
    CeciliaM