HBO's Gentleman Jack

Anyone else watch this? It's based (incredibly loosely, I assume) on the diaries of Anne Lister, a lesbian from a wealthy family in 1800's England. I found the show quite enjoyable, it was able to strike a good balance between humor and drama, the costuming and set design were fantastic, and the acting was pretty good too. The writing was mostly solid throughout, and most of the characters are shades of gray instead of black and white. 

It also was actually filmed at the actual Shibdon Hall where Anne Lister actually lived, which is cool. 

They wrapped up the main plotline nicely at the end of season 1, but definitely left some loose threads for potential future seasons. And it looks like it's already been picked up for a 2nd season by the BBC, so I assume HBO will shortly follow suit. 
pollyseeds

Comments

• amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Fun fact! John Waterhouse, my 17th great grandfather, was the owner of Shibden Hall. As far as I'm aware the estate passed from the Waterhouse family directly to the Lister family.

I'm proud to say I'm carrying on the house's tradition of lesbianism to this very day.  :D
    DeeasmallcatA_Ron_Hubbard
  • If you listen to Stuff You Missed in History podcast they have an episode on Anne Lister in their archive. Would be interesting to compare that to the tv show.  She had quite a story if I remember correctly.  Haven’t watched the HBO show yet but it is on the list of future things to get to.