HBO's Euphoria

JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
Is anybody watching?  I just caught the first episode and it's got a lot of promise.  Here's the premise, from Google:

An American adaptation of the Israeli show of the same name, "Euphoria" follows the troubled life of 17-year-old Rue, a drug addict fresh from rehab with no plans to stay clean. Circling in Rue's orbit are Jules, a transgender girl searching for where she belongs; Nate, a jock whose anger issues mask sexual insecurities; Chris, a football star who finds the adjustment from high school to college harder than expected; Cassie, whose sexual history continues to dog her; and Kat, a body-conscious teen exploring her sexuality. As the classmates struggle to make sense of their futures, the series tackles the teenage landscape of substance-enhanced parties and anxiety-ridden day-to-day life with empathy and candor.

The show is pretty overtly sexual, and does not shy away from showing nudity of all types.  @A_Ron_Hubbard This includes erect male penises.  The first episode had a ton of male nudity on display.  In fact, the New York Times claimed it was "Miles and miles of penises, in locker rooms, video chats, selfies and grainy home videos."

The transgender character is the screen-acting debut of transgender model Hunter Schafer, who easily had the two strongest and most uncomfortable scenes.  I think she will be the breakout star of the show.

This show tackles a lot of issues involving teens and sexuality/gender/drug abuse/body image.  The actors are all over the age of 18, but the naked characters they play are not, which has stirred up some controversy.  If that is not something you are comfortable viewing, you might want to pass.

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Man, I am torn on this show. I watched it last night. Overall I really liked it. But at times it felt like it was going for shock factor and I wish they would have toned some of that stuff down. Granted I am not a teenager these days and maybe that was a very accurate depiction of what it is like to be in high school currently. If so, god help us. I'd recommend folks watching if they are interested. The first episode is real strong, but it does not shy away from...well anything. To the point that HBO has a warning before the episode starts. If you are on the fence about addiction issues, sexual trauma, nudity, etc. maybe find something else to watch. This was one of the most graphic things I've seen on TV. 
  •   @A_Ron_Hubbard This includes erect male penises.  
    Image result for grizzly adams approval
    iMatty94DeeNoelJoshTheBlackElisaMattyWeavesHatorianMarciMrXrkcrawfand 9 others.
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    It was like the movie Kids had a baby with the UK versions of Skins, set it in California, and added a dash of "what's really going to piss off every conservative in the world?"

Jokes aside, it was really good and I had a ton of conflicting emotions ranging from feeling old to sad to happy to scared. Then my wife pointed out this is the generation my nieces belong to and them drinking and smoking at an early age like it's nothing makes more sense.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited June 19
    gguenot said:
      @A_Ron_Hubbard This includes erect male penises.  
    In my 4 years of being a Baldmove member this is the hardest I’ve ever laughed at a comment. 
    gguenotmajjam0770TravisCecily
  • It was definitely an interesting episode and it certainly has my attention.  I'd be curious to know how readily attainable drugs like what they are doing in the show are for high school age kids in what I assume is California.  I'm in Minnesota and I'm sure these kinds of things do happen on the down low, but I feel like this is something that would rarely happen here so I'm curious as to what someone that lives in California or somewhere this is more likely to be possible thinks of the show and how realistic it is with drug availability.  I probably sound extremely naive but I've never been one that puts myself in places where drugs are available so my personal knowledge on the topic is next to nothing.  
    majjam0770
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    I grew up in rural Georgia.  While I wasn't running with the crowd in school, I was definitely aware of the availability of drugs.  Marijuana, cocaine, methamphetamine, opiates, heroin, psilocybin (shrooms), LSD, xanax, and adderall where all available to those who were looking for them.  This was not in Atlanta, but in the suburbs.  The school I went to was the brand new high school built in the more affluent part of town.  My sister went to the older high school that was districted into housing less affluent students, and I believe they had similar offerings.
  • Hatorian said:
    gguenot said:
      @A_Ron_Hubbard This includes erect male penises.  
    In my 4 years of being a Baldmove member this is the hardest I’ve ever laughed at a comment. 
    @JoshTheBlack set me up with the Alley-Oop
    Hatorian
  • I grew up in rural Georgia.  While I wasn't running with the crowd in school, I was definitely aware of the availability of drugs.  Marijuana, cocaine, methamphetamine, opiates, heroin, psilocybin (shrooms), LSD, xanax, and adderall where all available to those who were looking for them.  This was not in Atlanta, but in the suburbs.  The school I went to was the brand new high school built in the more affluent part of town.  My sister went to the older high school that was districted into housing less affluent students, and I believe they had similar offerings.
    I came of age in suburban Iowa and, while I didn’t regularly imbibe, I knew of least a dozen people who dealt weed at one level or another and I know that at least a handful of them worked with suppliers who could get them whatever substance they wanted.

I often though how irionic it was that I could more easily get my hands on some pot than on a six pack of beer.
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    I'm glad I was able to get to adulthood just before the time of "we can medicate any emotion out of your child you need us to" era. 

Fortunately we seem to have also (I hope) for the most part moved past the indiscriminate behavioral medicating of our young ones.

I grew up in rural Georgia.  While I wasn't running with the crowd in school, I was definitely aware of the availability of drugs.  Marijuana, cocaine, methamphetamine, opiates, heroin, psilocybin (shrooms), LSD, xanax, and adderall where all available to those who were looking for them.  This was not in Atlanta, but in the suburbs.  The school I went to was the brand new high school built in the more affluent part of town.  My sister went to the older high school that was districted into housing less affluent students, and I believe they had similar offerings.
    My high school and college years were around 1998 to 2006. Everyone of those drugs except heroin was easily accessible in rural Illinois. Heroin only exploded on the scene and became an epidemic after “the war on terror”. I’m not trying to be a conspiracy theorist but if I drew a graph of heroin availability it would easily coincide with the US involvement in Afghanistan(largest poppy producing country on the planet). By the mid 2000s after years in Afghanistan Heroin was as easy to find as marijuana. 
    Elisa
  • FWIW I saw an article in NYTimes stating that the current crop of teens are being called “the cautious generation” as these behaviors of hard drug use, teen pregnancies, and risky sex(or any sex in high school) are dropping consistently over the past couple decades and are at an all time low. The article was in response  to this show.

Sadly anxiety and related mental disorders are on the rise as well as teen suicide rate. The article was not sure what the drivers were but suggested increased school shootings, stress about climate change, the internet providing outlets and distractions from former more destructive behaviors. 

My daughter is 17 and I have not watched Euphoria yet because I don’t want that image of high school in my head but have been reading about the show. I imagine there are kids acting the way they are portrayed in the show but it is an extreme example. 

• My alternate conspiracy theory is that the resurgence in heroin use following the introduction and heavy marketing of OxyContin in the late 90s. Probably a bit of both with resurgent demand from opioid pain medication misuse and new supply lines opened by the logistics of the war on terror.
    Hatorian
  • redlancerredlancer Seattle
    edited June 24
    LordBy said:
    My alternate conspiracy theory is that the resurgence in heroin use following the introduction and heavy marketing of OxyContin in the late 90s. 

I don't think that's in the realm of conspiracy. Lots of big Pharma companies getting sued to hell and back for marketing the bejezus outa Oxy and it's derivatives while the whole time knowing this was likely the outcome. Essentially just a wash-rinse-repeat of the tobacco companies knowing smoking kills you (duh) but saying that's not true to avoid any kind of repercussions.
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    This show is mesmerizing and I'm loving it way more than I thought I would. I'm really intrigued by all the characters and their faults, and I'm not really sure where any of it is going.

Sadly I had this weird feeling this will be a one season show. I hope not, but once the initial buzz has worn off, I'm not sure how many people will stay on board.

On the topic of teens, I know my nieces, 18 and 17, have been smoking pot/drinking for at least the last 3-4 years, and now vaping, and they've had multiple boyfriends over the years, which... I'll leave that there.

They're pretty open with us, so I don't think they've done anything worse, but I wouldn't be completely surprised. One of them has also been an varying types of anxiety medication since middle school as well.

So while not as extreme, I think there is a lot of accuracy in this show so far.
    Elisa
  • JoshTheBlackJoshTheBlack Atlanta, GA
    As an uber driver that tends to work Friday and Saturday afternoons through late night in Atlanta, I can tell you that at least some percentage of the high-school aged teens are still partying hard.  The things I overhear keep me shook.  This past weekend I picked up a group of 4 I would estimate to be 15-16 who had clearly been drinking and smelled like that loud lettuce.  Two young ladies and two young men.  They were talking about the party they had just left and discussing who had hooked up with whom, and the particularly scandalous actions of a young female not present in the vehicle.  It was all rather salacious, but other than the intoxication could all have been bluster. 
    As an uber driver that tends to work Friday and Saturday afternoons through late night in Atlanta, I can tell you that at least some percentage of the high-school aged teens are still partying hard.  The things I overhear keep me shook.  This past weekend I picked up a group of 4 I would estimate to be 15-16 who had clearly been drinking and smelled like that loud lettuce.  Two young ladies and two young men.  They were talking about the party they had just left and discussing who had hooked up with whom, and the particularly scandalous actions of a young female not present in the vehicle.  It was all rather salacious, but other than the intoxication could all have been bluster. 
    at least they are being smart and not driving....
    JoshTheBlack