D&D Play by Post

Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
edited June 20 in General
People in the other thread were curious so I decided to make a separate thread to see how much interest there was in this sort of thing. Role Gate is essentially an app that lets people play D&D (and other Tabletop RPG’s) asynchronously, in other words you can play at your own pace and jump in when you have the time. 

https://www.rolegate.com/

Comments

• Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    I’ll start I guess, I could play this way but I don’t have the time to DM. 
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    I'd love to play this way. I might be up for DMing a future game, but I just don't have the experience playing yet.
  • I'm down. Ive only played a few times though
  • I'd be willing to try. I'll be interested to see how it feels to play like that. Most of the fun is sitting with people in person or online laughing, joking and all screaming when one person has to roll a 15 or better to save the party.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    In
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited June 22
    I don’t have the time to read all of D&D 5E and bone up for DMing, but if people wanted I am willing to try to run Basic Fantasy which is a free, essentially modernized version of 1980s D&D.  It can be less forgiving if you’re not careful, though.  Fighting is not always the answer.

Rules download is here.  

Let me know if interested.  
  • I'd be willing to DM (5e) but I've never played play by post and I don't really get the expected pacing of this style of game.  Like if a player makes 1 turn per day, is it cool with everyone that 1 round of combat with a 4 player party will take 4 days?  A larger battle that goes 4-5 rounds could take a month to finish?  In non-combat situations, how much can a player do on their turn?  Like, say that it's a social encounter of some sort and the party is talking to a NPC...if it's one player's turn and they monologue, if other players want to comment or if the DM needs to interject do you re-con things?

I currently DM every Wednesday night for a group of friends, I could recycle the adventures that I've already written...I'm sure that they'd need adjusting and play out differently, but the bulk of the work has already been done.
  • Another idea might be to do a West-marches style of game on roll20.  We wouldn't need to have a set time and day, but whenever there's enough players free on a particular night/day they can get together and play and then the next time could be with the same or different players at a different time day etc.  It's hard to run an ongoing campaign that way, but it works well for a series of 'one-shots' that can be played in a single session.

• I currently DM every Wednesday night for a group of friends . . .
    That’s super awesome you make the time to do this and I’m jealous of your group of Wed night friends.
  • ShumShum Utah
    Play by post doesn't sound super interesting to me, but I would definitely be down for another Baldmove 5e adventure if @CretanBull or someone else wants to DM a standard or West marches style game.
    I’m down for whatever. 
  • Maybe people can reply here with their time zone?  Not looking to figure out exact times and dates, but just get an idea of where people who are interested in playing are located?
  • ShumShum Utah
    I'm in Salt Lake City, Utah.  Mountain Time.
    EST. Free Weekdays after 6, Weekends any time. 
    Yes, play by post is more drawn out. Which is why I think the GM should be militant about moving the game forward every 24 hours - if you haven’t heard from a few people, they get pulled along with group consensus.

The GM should’t delay combat rounds because you haven’t heard from a few people, just choose something for them to do. Rolegate is good in that you don’t have the pressure of writing a whole forum post, the players or GM can quickly interject a short post because Rolegate reads more like a screenplay  than a traditional forum. 

I'd be willing to DM (5e) but I've never played play by post and I don't really get the expected pacing of this style of game.  Like if a player makes 1 turn per day, is it cool with everyone that 1 round of combat with a 4 player party will take 4 days?  A larger battle that goes 4-5 rounds could take a month to finish?  In non-combat situations, how much can a player do on their turn?  Like, say that it's a social encounter of some sort and the party is talking to a NPC...if it's one player's turn and they monologue, if other players want to comment or if the DM needs to interject do you re-con things?

I currently DM every Wednesday night for a group of friends, I could recycle the adventures that I've already written...I'm sure that they'd need adjusting and play out differently, but the bulk of the work has already been done.
    I’m EST, but need late night games. 
    CretanBull
  • I'm EST and anytime afternoon up to late late late night I can make time for.
  • I don't want to cut anyone out so if there aren't enough people in various times zones to make a West marches game work, then play by post is more inclusive and we should go with that.

I'd be willing to try DMing in that style of game, there will probably be an adjustment period when it comes to pacing, what can be accomplished on a turn etc.  I can do a little research to see how others play.
    My time zone is completely flipped from EST. 12 hour difference. But like I said I would definitely log in and play Everyday. Similar to how we had games of diplomacy. 
    CretanBull
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    I'm Mountain. PbP would be the easiest for me as I have a lot of evening committments but can easily find a few minutes throughout the day.
    CretanBull
  • It looks like PbP is best...I was just wondering if there were enough people in each area where we could run games West marches style at different times to accommodate everyone.

I've been reading up on how to run a play by post game.  I think using roll20 to host maps and the characters works best - especially since roll20 introduced their 'charactermancer' tool, it makes making a character very easy and makes leveling up a character easy too (it doesn't let you forget anything!).

Roll20 does have a chat feature, but it's not really designed to track long conversations or archive long strings of text.  I think that it would be best to use a message board. I think we could probably set up a pbp section here on the Bald Move forums (obviously have to clear that with Jim & Aron) but having it here might encourage other people from the BM community to play.

How does that sound to everyone?

• JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    FWIW I'm interested in a regular, normal-paced game. I enjoy the RPing so the PbP won't be for me. Eastern Time.
    edited June 24
    Sounds good to me. Discord is a good option for out of character chat and map hosting, BTW. Does someone have DND Beyond subscription, that would take care of the character sheet issues....
    I can do either regular old live chat or PbP. We do actually have a Discord already. 
  • Sounds good to me. Discord is a good option for out of character chat and map hosting, BTW. Does someone have DND Beyond subscription, that would take care of the character sheet issues....
    Roll20 allows for map interactions - like moving your 'minis' around in a dungeon for example...Discord can only host image files of static maps.  Discord could be another option for hosting the posts that each player makes though, it might be really good for that.  My idea was to do it here on the forums because it might be more inclusive and encourage others to join, but if we made a section on the Bald Move Discord channel I think that it might be just as inclusive.

• We can maybe organize one-off adventures to play in real time over discord, but for this particular thing that we're organizing here I think it's best to stick to play by post...I don't want to do anything to cut out Hatorian or Flukes, or make them feel like they have to drop out to allow others to play.

So for this here, we'll do play by post..and hopefully as others see our game and follow along, maybe that will attract some new players etc.

Once this is established, I'd be more than happy to try to set up a night when we can all play live (in a separate campaign from the play by post campaign!)...maybe do one-shots once a month or something like that.

• I've watched some videos, read some articles and gone over something that Doctor Nick sent me regarding ways to run/speed up PbP games.  For starters, how would you guys feel about these:

1.  Initiative - save time by not rolling initiative.  Your initiative roll is your dexterity score, every round, every combat.  That will give each member of the group a static initiative score, opponents will use the same initiative system (their dex will count as their roll too).  For both players and monsters, a range of dex scores is likely to be between 10-16, so there will be multiple players with the same initiative - players/monsters with the same initiative score will act on a first come, first serve basis.

For example, Jane has a DEX of 17, Bob has a DEX of 15, Tim's DEX is 14, Kim's DEX is 14 and Mary's DEX in 11.

That means for every combat, your turn order will be:

Jane (17)
    Bob (15)
    Tim (14)
    Kim (14)
    Mary (11)

Tim and Kim will both go at the same time, whoever posts first between Tim and Kim will go first.

As a DM, I'll determine the opponents initiative based on their DEX.  Say that you're fighting goblins, who also have 14 DEX.  The combat order would be:

Jane (17)
    Bob (15)
    Tim (14)
    Kim (14)
    Goblins (14)
    Mary (11)

On 14, Tim, Kim and the Goblins would all take their turn.  Whoever posts firsts - Tim, Kim or me as the DM representing the Goblins - has their action go into effect first. 

No matter what happens, a player/monster acting on the same turn will get their action.

For example, the goblin has 6 hit points.  Jane and the goblin go at the same time, but Jane posts first and does 8 damage to the goblin, killing it.  Because the goblin is in effect going at the same time, he'll still get to take his action before dying.

That works until someone plays Barbarian because they get advantage on initiative rolls. 
  • Alkaid13 said:
    That works until someone plays Barbarian because they get advantage on initiative rolls. 

So for barbarian and one of the ranger subclasses (off hand, I think it's the gloomstalker?) their advantage is a +2 bonus...so if their DEX is 14, their initiative score is 16.
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited June 25
    I don't know if it will be needed or not, what do you guys think of this?

For social encounters, there will be a similar type of 'initiative' but based on CHA instead of DEX - a player's CHA score will determine their turn order in social encounters.

When it comes to exploration ie you enter a room in a dungeon, I provide a description of the room - the turn order of who does what first is based on each player's WIS score.

Functionally, it would work like this:

-----------------------
    Social Encounter
    -----------------------

"Your investigation check has allowed you to learn that the best place to gather information about the local thieves guild is to visit a drinking establishment with a bad reputation called the Drunken Dwarf.  It's located in a shady part of town known Rockbottom.  As you make your way to the Drunken Dwarf, you can't help but feel that your party is drawing attention from the locals.  No one is outwardly confronting you, but you notice more than a few people sizing you up as you walk through the streets of Rockbottom.  Eventually, you make your way to the Drunken Dwarf and it lives down to its reputation.

From the outside, the Drunken Dwarf appears to be a run down building in a horrible state of disrepair, it's a miracle that it's still standing.  Inside it's worse.  As you open the door and step inside, you're immediately met by the stares of a half dozen regulars who don't seem very welcoming of outsiders.  From the back of the room, a man standing behind the bar shouts forward, "Welcome to the Drunken Dwarf.  What can I do ya for?"

Starting the post with the "Social Encounter" tag would be an indication that the turn order for this scene is based on CHA, the player with the highest CHA would act first. They wouldn't be compelled to act...their action could be "I don't say anything, and wait for Pete to speak since he's a rogue and knows thieve's cant."

-----

A different scenario, in a dungeon:

-----------------------------
    Exploration Encounter
    ------------------------------

"You crack open the thick door revealing a room beyond.  It's about 30 feet square and from the door way a few features immediately grab your attention.  On the wall across from you, you can see a door, very similar to the one that you just opened.  In the centre of the room you can see the remains of what might have been a fire - there are scorch marks on the floor with small piles of ash scattered about.  On the far left side of the room you can see a chest.  The wall to your right is decorated with a tattered tapestry, and you can see a humanoid skeleton covered in dusts and cobwebs slumped over."

The "Exploration Encounter" tag would be an indication that the turn order for this scene is based on the each player's WIS (since these are observation based things and 'preception' is WIS based).  Now, if that skeleton animates at any point in this scene, then the 'Exploration Encounter" order is dropped and we immediately go to a DEX based initiative order.

Flukes
    makes sense to me.