D&D Play by Post

Comments

• FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Fired a sketch of Ragnuk Sigurdsson's background off to @CretanBull for collaboration. I think I'm all set.
  • So this is where we're at (from what I can tell!)

We've got Hatorian, Flukes, Alkaid13, CapeGabe and Doctor_Nick signed up to play.

So far:
    Flukes - a halforc Barbarian 
    Hatorian - a halfelf Ranger
    Alkaid13 - a aasimar Paladin 

With Doctor_Nick and CapeGabe yet to make their characters.

It's a tank/melee heavy party so far (no problem with that!) and the Paladin and Ranger can both provide some healing too.

I wrote the intro to the campaign last night, so I'm ready to go whenever.  If it's just going to be the five of you playing, that's cool but if anyone else is reading this and wants to jump in there's still time.  If you're new, I'll be happy to walk you through the character creation process, and if you're worried about playing - don't be.  Play by Post is a slower version of D&D, you'll have plenty of time between your turns to think things out and ask as many questions as you like.  In many ways, this is one of the best ways to dip your toes into the D&D pool if you've been curious about playing but haven't tried it out yet.
    Flukes
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    I’m fine with running with an all beefcake party (and one moderately beefy Ranger) so choose whatever class you’d like. If you’re interested in balance though we could use someone with high Intelligence because I know I tanked that and I’m fairly certain the Barbarian did as well. Rangers typically don’t have the best Int either. 
    CapeGabe
  • Alkaid13 said:
    I’m fine with running with an all beefcake party (and one moderately beefy Ranger) so choose whatever class you’d like. If you’re interested in balance though we could use someone with high Intelligence because I know I tanked that and I’m fairly certain the Barbarian did as well. Rangers typically don’t have the best Int either. 

I was leaning towards Cleric but wanted to see party first. Would a wizard be a better fit?
    I mean we don’t need anyone with high Int, play whatever you want to play. 
  • Alkaid13 said:
    I mean we don’t need anyone with high Int, play whatever you want to play. 
    No preference, I just figured young party would need healing. If ranged spells doing crowd control make the party stronger it doesn't bother me.

An all tank party would be funny. Like soccer hooligans got sent to a strange dimension 
    CretanBullFlukes
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    I could plan to go Arcane Trickster. I’ve also never been a Bard. Hope to get things done by at least tomorrow AM. 
  • I could plan to go Arcane Trickster. I’ve also never been a Bard. Hope to get things done by at least tomorrow AM. 
    If you want to go Bard I'll do a wizard and that should balance things out. If that's good I can create that tonight
  • Not pushing anyone in any direction, just some objective advice...

Bards can also heal, so if you had a Ranger, Paladin and Bard all chipping in on healing you could probably get away without having a cleric and that would let CapeGabe make a wizard for big damage and INT based skills.

The flip side of that, if you don't make an arcane trickster, there won't be any rogue-ish skills in the party.  Having said that, in 5e anyone can find a trap, and anyone with thieves tools can disarm a trap - but only rogues can do it with proficiency/expertise.

• I could plan to go Arcane Trickster. I’ve also never been a Bard. Hope to get things done by at least tomorrow AM. 
    No hurry, we still haven't set up the message board yet :) 
  • We could go Arcane Trickster and Wizard and just stock up on healing potions
    CretanBull
  • CapeGabe said:
    We could go Arcane Trickster and Wizard and just stock up on healing potions
    Definitely an option, but healing potions are 50pg a pop!
  • My advice would be to play the character that you most want to play...the other things tend to have a way of balancing themselves out.
  • CapeGabe said:
    We could go Arcane Trickster and Wizard and just stock up on healing potions
    Definitely an option, but healing potions are 50pg a pop!
    I can see my character arc already, needing to supply his healing potion habit he changes his alignment and starts robbing people to support it.
    CretanBull
    edited June 26
    Rangers double as Rogues if you go Dex. Also Paladin + Ranger is actually good for healing. Lay on Hands is a very efficient healing mechanism. Between that, Healing Hands and Cure Wounds I’m effectively a Cleric. (Also Rangers get Healing Spirit at level 5 and Paladins get Aura of Vitality at 9 and those are mathematically better than Mass Heal aka the “best healing spell in game”)
    CretanBull
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Alkaid13 said:
    If Cretanbull can edit my character I’d like to take 2 points off my charisma and add it to intelligence..

also if 5 isn’t enough just let me know. I can get someone else. 
    CretanBull
  • Hatorian said:
    Alkaid13 said:
    If Cretanbull can edit my character I’d like to take 2 points off my charisma and add it to intelligence..

also if 5 isn’t enough just let me know. I can get someone else. 

I can make that edit...I think 5 is enough?
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Cool. Make the edit please. 5 seems enough. Especially as this is the first go around and there will be lots of learning.  
  • On the "lots of learning" note....

I'm going to be very open to lots of feedback, especially in regards pacing, how much or how little I give out at a time, how frequent I call for ability checks (which will slow things down) etc
    Hatorian
    I’m going to read the Bard class a little. 
    CretanBull
    Just a basic backstory for now:

Aurelia Mardin always knew she was destined for greater things. How could she not? Her family was renowned, her tutelage was top notch, even her blood contained latent power gifted long ago by higher powers.

However Aurelia looked at the many achievements of House Mardin and found something.....lacking. If the legacy of her forefathers was so great, why did the people in her city starve? If the laws enacted by the enlightened rulers and wise scholars of the lands governed with a fair hand, why then did criminals still go unpunished? If the gods were so just and kind, why were their followers still slaughtered? 

Where her peers and relatives talked of glory, Aurelia saw only failure, and so she set out on her great task. Her mission would not end until a child could walk unmolested from one end of the continent to the other, safe in the knowledge that no evils would be brought upon them. Abandoning the gods and traditions of her ancestors, Aurelia converted to a new religion, a religion whose holy texts were written with cold steel, and set out to bring justice to the lawless frontier. 
    CretanBull
  • Just finished creating my High Elf Wizard Darcassan and here is his backstory:

Darcassan was born as Mithrandir Goldenleaf to a semi-wealthy merchant family. Their shop catered to the elite from miles around. Although born a merchant he was fascinated by magic at an early age due to the stories his uncle would tell him of his father, Mithrandir's grandfather, a wizard who from bold deeds earned a fortune with his friends in the Mines of Mathderth by uncovering The Temple of the Lost. He retired from that life and started a business importing items for the wealthy. When his uncle gave him a book of simple spells he became obsessed with learning all he could of magic.

His new found mission in life and the ever dwindling interest in the family store was a constant point of contention between him and his parents. I also left him at odds with his older brother and sister as he often shirked his responsibilities around the shop.

Everything changed they day thieves came in the shop as him and his uncle were closing one night. They gave him a belt in the face with the backside of an axe knocking him unconscious. When he awoke the next day with a horrible headache and a line across his face that would in time leave a light scar he found his uncle in bed minus an arm. He told his uncle how ashamed he was that he was unable to stop the thieves. His uncle laughed and told him to forget about worrying about such things. He said it was he who was sorry for showing him a whole world and not encouraging him to go explore it.

When his uncle was healed and working again at the shop he said goodbye to his uncle and told him to explain to the rest of the family that this was something he needed to do. He walked out of the store and assumed his new identity, Darcassan, and went in search of the knowledge he so desperately wanted.

Over the years he apprenticed for many men and women of magic of any type always hungry to learn more. Eventually he became more comfortable learning on his own and lived alone in the forest only venturing into the lands of others to buy books or seek answers to questions he had. He learned many languages to read all the books on magic he could find.

Recently the he thought of his uncle and the stories of his grandfather and decided the time had come to get out of the books and into the world. He would write his own story and win his own fortune.
    FlukesCretanBullHatorianDoctor_Nick
  • edited June 27
    Here is a picture for Darcassan

https://imgur.com/4g9ayw1

CretanBull
  • The party as it stands now:

Flukes - a halforc Barbarian 
    Hatorian - a halfelf Ranger
    Alkaid13 - an aasimar Paladin 
    CapeGabe - a Highelf Wizard 

If you guys could add your background to the 'bio & info' page of your roll20 character sheet, that would be helpful - it will provide me with a quick way to access this info if I need to reference it.
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited June 27
    Some tips and hints when using your roll20 character sheet...

1) When you click on your token and have it selected, a list of your most common attacks will appear in the top left hand corner of your screen - you can then click on the macro to attack.  I've made macros for each weapon your character is holding, and for CapeGabe I've also made macros for your cantrip attacks (I can't make macros for your other spells, because there's a spell slot variable ie you can cast Magic Missile as a 1st level spell, 2nd level spell, 3rd level spell etc and that would require a macro for each variation of the spell).

2) If you need to look at your character, hold the 'shift' key and double click on your token.

3) Everything on your character sheet is clickable.  If you need to make a saving throw, skill check, spend a hit die, want to use a class ability etc find where those things are on your character sheet and click them, that will make a post in the chat dialogue that I can read.

4) If you're casting a spell that can be cast using a varying spell slot, a little window will pop up with a drop-down menu asking you which level spell slot you want to expend for the casting.  If your character sheet is open, sometimes it hides this popup...so if you cast a spell and nothing comes up in the chat, that's probably why....move or minimize your character sheet and you'll see the pop-up.

5) You can use the 'Compendium' to search for things and drag and drop them onto your character sheet.  Right now my compendium is loaded with everything from the Player's Handbook and Xanathar's Guide to Everything (as well as the DM's Guide and Monster Manual, but those are for me only!).  If for instance, your character goes to a shop and buys a lantern, search for 'lantern' in the Compendium, then drag and drop it onto your character sheet.  Roll20 will automatically put it where it belongs, will add the objects weight to your encumbrance ete.  The Compendium can be found in the top right hand corner of your screen, its a grey/black circle with a "i" in it.

• I'm going to start 2 new threads  "Bald Move D&D Play by Post: Players Only Please" - this is where we'll post things directly related to the events in the game.  Everything posted in this thread will be accepted as canon.  Use regular script to describe your actions and use bold to let everyone know what you're actually saying.  For example....

------
    I'm going to approach the merchant in a friendly way and try to negotiate a better deal on the sword that he's selling.

Good day fine Sir.  I've been admiring this sword that you have for sale, I'd love to own it but I'm a little bit short at the moment.  Would you be willing to offer a discount to humble adventurer?
    --------

To which I'd reply "Ok, make a Persuasion check.  12 and under and he's not willing to budge on his price. 13-16 he'll knock 2 gold off the price.  17-20 and he offers a 5gp discount"

You'd then make your check in roll20 (open your character sheet, click in 'persuasion' on your skills list) and buy or not buy the sword based on your roll. 

It will take a while for use to get a playing rhythm down, so don't worry about doing things wrong or whatever.  Also, as we play a more intuitive way of doing things might develop and we'll go with whatever is easiest for everyone.

@Alkaid13 and I have mod powers so we'll remove anything in that thread that isn't game related or posted by one of our current players.

I'll make another thread called "Bald Move D&D Play by Post Discussion: Everyone Welcome" - you guys can use this thread to ask me questions, talk about the game out of character, offer feedback etc and everyone from the Bald Move community will be invited to post and comment here.

Alkaid13
    I'm going bard.  Didn't get a chance to work on things overnight and at work now, hope to have the character done tomorrow.  
    CretanBullCapeGabe
  • I'm going bard.  Didn't get a chance to work on things overnight and at work now, hope to have the character done tomorrow.  
    No worries, and good choice - bards do so many different things, they're fun to play!
    Stirling Milton-Thistle, Bard.

CretanBullHatorianAlkaid13
  • ^ I kid you not, the bard that I play in my Sunday game is named Sterling! 
    Doctor_Nick