Preroll and Postroll ads are the worst

edited June 21 in General
I've been in the club for years and never bothered with the ad-free feed. It's been sorta confusing dealing with it, and I've generally enjoyed the ads. Live reads injected with bald move culture. Good stuff.

These generic commercials we are being subjected to is the worst though. It's the first thing I hear when starting up a cast, and I hate it. It has nothing to do with bald move, just a straight up corporate commercial.

Please nix these commercials and/or make a bald move club app that can handle ad free versions of the casts without effort.

I feel punished by these commercials. Why did you guys ever think this was a good idea?

Comments

• And has this been brought up anywhere else? During any of the increasingly infrequent lunches?
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Can’t you just download the ad free feed? That’s the whole point of it. 
    DoubleA_RonMichelleMurderbearNoelJoshTheBlack
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited June 21
    The ad-free feed is pretty easy. I've had no problem getting it to work with a couple of different podcast apps:

http://baldmove.com/podcast-subscription-tool/

In general with podcast ads I agree - live reads by the hosts >> generic commercials. But I'm also not going to fault Bald Move for making $$ to support their business.
    DoubleA_RonMichelleMurderbear
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    So you want people to spend hours writing and recording interesting ads because you don't want to spend 10 minutes figuring out the feed.

Other suggestion: download a better podcast app and have it automatically skip the first X seconds. 
    DeeDoubleA_RonMichellejohnnytruanthisdudeness915FlukesNoelMarciJoshTheBlack
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    hitmy said:
    And has this been brought up anywhere else? During any of the increasingly infrequent lunches?
    You seem like you’re just pissing for a fight. They haven’t skipped a lunch since March, and the time before that was maybe Christmas? I mean, god forbid people take a holiday now and then.
    MichelleMurderbearFlukesCecilyNoelMarciJoshTheBlack
  • HunkuleseHunkulese Québec, Canada
    Really? You feel punished because they have ads? Really? Really?
  • podcartfanpodcartfan Cincinnati
    Dee said:
    hitmy said:
    And has this been brought up anywhere else? During any of the increasingly infrequent lunches?
    You seem like you’re just pissing for a fight. They haven’t skipped a lunch since March, and the time before that was maybe Christmas? I mean, god forbid people take a holiday now and then.
    This year they've had a lunch 22 of 24 Fridays....92%.  That's an A- baby!
    DeeMichelleCecilyNoelraabnhood
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    It’s actually quite easy to get the Ad Free Feed: 
    1. First login and go here http://baldmove.com/podcast-subscription-tool/
    2. Then select your podcast app of choice. 
    3. Select the podcasts you’d like to listen to (or select the firehose feed to get all the podcasts)
    4. Follow the simple instructions listed below the page that pops up to subscribe to the ad free feed. 
    If you have any problems getting it to work otherwise please feel free to email support@baldmove or DM one of the mods and we’ll try and get things sorted for you. 
  • MattyWeavesMattyWeaves Mid-State New York
    I literally had no idea they had ads at all. Also use the Firehose feed so you don't have to do all of them.

Or be a crazy person like me and make an email/word doc with links to every single ad-free show and have a few dozen Baldmove podcasts in your app, along with the Firehose one. Either/or.
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    You need to get out more, @MattyWeaves
    MattyWeavesNoel
  • edited June 21
    The only App I use for podcasts is Google Podcasts which doesn't work with the firehose feed so I just go straight to the website and download the podcast right through there.  Yes I know it's a lot more work doing it that way but I don't mind. 
  • I use pocketcasts, the last time (a year or so ago?) I tried to use the tool it didn't work.

However, I was able to get the ad-free TV feed to work just now, although I don't really want an ad-free feed. I want a straight-up commercial free feed.

• JaimieT said:
    So you want people to spend hours writing and recording interesting ads because you don't want to spend 10 minutes figuring out the feed.

Other suggestion: download a better podcast app and have it automatically skip the first X seconds. 
    I paid for the ad-free feed and didn't use it. This is my main complaint here. As far as I can tell, they basically started slipping in corporate produced preroll ads into their casts without any communication. When's the last time we got an Empire Business?

Look, I understand the reality of the situation. People gotta monetize, gotta eat and all that. But damn, this is the worst way of going about it from a consumer satisfaction perspective.
  • Hunkulese said:
    Really? You feel punished because they have ads? Really? Really?

Yup, the specific kind of ads. @JaimieT mentioned automatically skipping the first 15-30 seconds (however long they are, sometimes there are two) as a workaround. Yeah, that'll work, but it's certainly not ideal.

I mean, my understanding of the Baldmove advertising ethos was that they wanted to work with advertisers and products that they could actually enthusiastically pitch and support.

Pre-produced, seemingly random commercials as the first thing you hear when starting up a cast doesn't speak at all to this ethos.
  • I started going back in the feed to see when this started, and the first one I picked is proof in point in how stupid these ads are : https://baldmove.com/tv-podcast/chernobyl-episode-4-the-happiness-of-all-mankind/

It's a spanish language ad for Cox Communications 0_o

Then the cast starts, ARon doesn't mention anything about Cox. It's just there like those shitty banner ads that drain your attention, with no love from the content producers (BM), no love from the consumer (me), and I guess no love from Cox, because why the hell would they pay for this kind of advertising? 
    I mean, there’s literally an ad free feed, if you don’t like the ads you don’t have to listen to them. I’d get it if this were coming from a non-club member who doesn’t have the option; but like, you’re complaining about a thing that you’re choosing to listen to of your own volition. If you’re having trouble setting up the ad free feed it takes maybe a few minutes to DM one of us or email support and we can fix it for you. 
  • I'd like to point out that the podcasting talent occasionally gets sick, and we have to wait a day for their shows.  I think we deserve a higher level of commitment. 
    MurderbearMarci
  • edited June 21
    So I started going back in the feed to find when the ads started, and it looks like there has been some sort of tech put in that is preloading each cast with an ad perhaps dynamically, or it was done in a batch. 

Probably dynamic though since every cast I started began with a Cox ad in spanish, or an ad for Microsoft Surface (which is a bit better, the Surface is mostly great :smile: ) This extends at least into last year.

Anyhow, I guess I'm going to have mess around with the ad free feeds even though I've always enjoyed the ads. I'll stop complaining about this decision. I don't have the context on how it was made, I don't have any insight on fan reaction in the broader non-discord / non-forum audience. I think it's dumb and probably turns off tons of people, but I certainly could be wrong. In either case, I hope it's worth it! :smiley:
    edited June 21
    If it really gets your goat, you could always submit a question about it for today’s lunch. @Jim and @A_Ron_Hubbard don’t troll through the forums everyday so if you really want to know something you kind of have to @ them or message them directly or something. Making a forum post about it that they might not even see seems sort of passive aggressive and doesn’t really solve your core issue. 
    hitmy
    edited June 21
    Cool, hopefully today’s lunch will clear things up for you then, again @hitmy if you’re having trouble setting up the ad free feedback please feel free to DM me or email support and we’ll see what we can do to help you out. Same courtesy extended to other club members obviously.  
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    You cropped out A. Ron, @hitmy ? Man, that's cold.
    hitmy
  • I do the ad-free firehouse so I didn't know about this switch.  But really, it makes business sense in the regard that they don't have to spend their valuable time recording ads and they can devote that energy to more meaningful content. That said, I work in advertising and I know there's a lot of terrible low-budget stuff out there.  But advertising is kinda necessary.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited June 21
    hitmy said:
    I don't really want an ad-free feed. I want a straight-up commercial free feed.
    Do you get though that ads/commercials, no matter which kind, create revenue for them, and that revenue helps them to be able to continue to keep Bald Move in existence?   Seriously, just ditch your podcast app for another one that works with the firehose feed.  It’s not that hard.

• thanks @Michelle . To be clear, I am fine with live reads, and advertising in that sense. This is different.

Michelle
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    edited June 21
    I use Pocketcasts and I haven't heard an Ad on Bald Move in years. I'm happy to try and help you @hitmy.

Hit me up in a PM or Discord with your cast URL.
  • appreciate that @Flukes , I've got it figured out for at least the Bald Move TV cast. Maybe they are failing to find live-read type sponsors for that feed and so are slapping this generic commercial stuff there, and the other tent-pole casts will be ok.
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    hitmy said:
    appreciate that @Flukes , I've got it figured out for at least the Bald Move TV cast. Maybe they are failing to find live-read type sponsors for that feed and so are slapping this generic commercial stuff there, and the other tent-pole casts will be ok.
    I see where you're coming from - pre-recorded commercials are much more annoying than live reads, but I think you're dying on the wrong hill here. The Venn diagram of people who are in the Club, don't want to hear pre-recorded ads, and want the live reads preserved isn't going to have a large enough intersection to justify the extra effort. You may have a shot if it can be automated, but if it adds any cost or work, it's going to be a non-starter.

I don't want to pile on here because I think you're a good dude, but I think you should probably let this one go.

On other podcast producers' feeds I've also noticed automated inserted ads that appear to be dynamic depending on the region. I don't think the guys have much control over what the content of these types of ads are.
    hitmyMichelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    hitmy said:

thanks @Michelle . To be clear, I am fine with live reads, and advertising in that sense. This is different.

Hey @hitmy, sorry for my rude tone.  I realized what you were talking about while I was listening to Aron’s response about it in lunch.  Still though, you can always go the firehose feed route if ya wanted. :smile:
  • Now that I think about it, Bald Move should really be paying ME to listen to their content 
    hitmyNoelMichelle
  • I guess I don't understand issues with any of the ads. Bald Move guys are still a Mom and Pop shop (pop and pop shop?). I'm in the club and when I can, I still download and listen to the cast WITH the ads so they can have those numbers to back them up and their business. I also didn't take advantage of the sale because I feel like 5 bucks a month is worth it and I would rather they stay supported. Especially after Game of Thrones. These are my opinions obviously and I know they do provide the service for ad-free listening for those that want it. Just a different perspective.