Fury Road? SPOILERS

edited June 2015 in Movies
Anyone looking forward to this?
I don't think the trailers look that good, BUT I have a huge attachment to Road Warrior so I'm holding out hope that this movie might deliver at least some of the same raw adrenaline and emotion that was present in Road Warrior.

Comments

• Yup. Huge Mad Max fanatic here. I already bought my ticket. Can't wait. I was going to start a Mad Max thread maybe a week from now, but I'm glad you got it going.

The Road Warrior is one of my all-time favorite movies. It was something I would watch almost every day as a kid.

I was also suspect of Fury Road at first, but the last two trailers blew me away. 

Have you seen this one yet? Charlize looks badass in this.

Raiyne
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    Haven't seen any of the originals, but THIS looks amazing. I'll be there opening weekend.
  • Im looking forward to the game in September. Probably wait for this on netflix or other streaming.

Looks very visually stunning tho from the trailers
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    ksa1001 said:

Haven't seen any of the originals, but THIS looks amazing. I'll be there opening weekend.

Well then you've got homework my friend. The Mad Max trilogy is the epitome of 80s post apocalyptic movies.
    Raiyne
  • steph_bsteph_b Austin
    Tom Hardy is enough for me to go see it. Good gawd he's hot.
    Raiyne
  • @AntManBee if I'm honest the trailers have worried me because I'm afraid that all the good scenes are in the trailer. Also it's more high budget then MM or RW and part of their appeal to me was how raw and real they looked. Thunderdome not so much ;)
    I absolutely LOVE Charlize Theron. She has that rare ability in female actors to be both stunningly beautiful and realistically badass. I put Milla J in that category also. Tom Hardy seems like a good choice for Max.

I count RW as one of my favorite films. I've seen it dozens of times because a theater where I grew up screened it every Friday night at midnight. I watched it over and over. So if Fury Road can come any where close to RW it will be my fav film of the summer.
    AntManBee
  • @jovial_falcon I couldn't wait to watch this on Netflix. It seems like it must be viewed on the big screen for Maximum enjoyment.
    (Pun intended)
  • edited May 2015
    @ksa1001 what @freddy said. You can NOT watch Thunderdome and be OK but Mad Max and Road Warrior should be required viewing. Having said that some of the costuming in RW is cringe-worthy. Very 80s new wave.
  • edited May 2015
    Raiyne said:

@ksa1001 what @freddy said. You can NOT watch Thunderdome and be OK but Mad Max and Road Warrior should be required viewing. Having said that some of the costuming in RW is cringe-worthy. Very 80s new wave.

I do love that the RW costumes are modeled both on 80s new wave/punk and classic westerns (good guys wear white, bad guys wear black). I'm always curious to hear how first time viewers react to it. I'm considering this for a commissioned podcast as I don't think J&A have seen it before.

I do think someone can get away with just watching RW since the events of MM1 are summed pretty well in the narrated prologue.
  • Raiyne said:

@AntManBee  She has that rare ability in female actors to be both stunningly beautiful and realistically badass. I put Milla J in that category also. Tom Hardy seems like a good choice for Max.

I count RW as one of my favorite films. I've seen it dozens of times because a theater where I grew up screened it every Friday night at midnight. I watched it over and over. So if Fury Road can come any where close to RW it will be my fav film of the summer.

Would you put Uma Thurman in that category of badass?

And what is this magical theater you speak of?
  • edited May 2015
    @AntManBee Yes! Uma (Japanese Steel) Thurman is in that category!

The University Theater in Berkeley CA
    AntManBee
    edited May 2015
    Raiyne said:

I don't know. Thunderdome is probably my favorite. It's just so goddamn weird, yet still comes together as an entertaining flick. As far as the cringe-worthy costumes of the sequels are concerned, to me that's always been a huge part of the charm, and if you really think about it, what would tribal combatants look like in a post apocalyptic future? I don't think outfits made of re-appropriated sports equipment and bondage gear are too far off.
  • I guess I need to go back and watch Thunderdome again. Since starting this thread I've talked to people I work with and they also said Thunderdome was their favorite of the 3.
    @freddy good point about the clothing. I never really thought about the practicality of it, I just never found the costuming aesthetically pleasing.
  • Sadly I will not see Fury Road this weeknd but initial feedback looks pretty darn good! I'm psyched!
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    Seen it last night. AWESOME!!! its not perfect. its no 99% RT. there are definitely some weird cuts and clunky moments but it is a spectacle for sure and needs to be seen on a big screen and in 3D. IMAX if possible. 
  • @hatorian I'm crying a river! Avengers is on all the IMAX screens in my area. Plain 3D will have to do for me.
    @Raiyne

Well its one of the movies that cannot be spoiled so I guess its possible to wait until its on IMAX but you can't really go wrong with just normal 3D. 
  • JeremyJeremy California
    @Hatorian

Fully agree, it's good/great but I wouldn't go so far as to say it's 99% Rotten Tomatoes good/great. I will say I preferred it to Avengers 2 (and I do love me some avenging) in terms of overall enjoyment and most bang for your buck so far this summer. Although I hope Tom Hardy can find work someday that doesn't require half his face to be caged for a significant portion of screen time, the man is just too damn beautiful.
    HatorianElisa
    Tom Hardy is probably the world's greatest actor for facial expressions and acting with his eyes only. The man can own a scene without a single line. 
  • I was able to see it early on Thursday, but only regular 3D, not IMAX. I really liked it. I agree with @Hatorian it's pretty awesome, but with some definite flaws. I'll wait for others to see this before I start a full discussion.

I did enjoy Tom Hardy, but Mel is still the king of owning a scene without a line (See The Road Warrior, first scene).

By the way, I just commissioned a podcast for The Road Warrior and I'd like the participants in this thread to contribute to feedback. I'll start a separate for it when the time comes. J&A are a bit backed up right now, so it will probably be about six to eight weeks from now.
    HatorianRaiyne
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Those of you who like Tom Hardy but want to see his face can watch Locke or Bronson, two amazing and completely different from each other movies. Seeing them back to back, his acting chops will blow you away.
    FreddyDaveyMac
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    And you get to see more than just his face in Bronson if you know what I mean, wink wink nudge nudge
    FreddyDaveyMac
    edited May 2015
    Frakkin T said:

And you get to see more than just his face in Bronson if you know what I mean, wink wink nudge nudge

"On my arse! Not in my arse, you fuckin' homo!"

He he, Bronson is greatness.

Also, Fury Road was solid. I'll probably go see it again, but I don't know if I could watch again after that. That damn flick burns calories with how much intensity is going on. Seriously, 3D might have been too much.
    Frakkin T
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    Just saw this tonight. Holy Shit! What a ride man. I feel sorry for anyone looking for a slow part to go pee in this one b/c in 2 hours there were maybe 5 minutes of quiet. Really loved it and I'll get to see it again soon.
    Hatorian
    definitely a day one bluray 3d buy for me
    Elisa
  • This is on my weekend schedule for sure. Can't wait to see it with all this great word of mouth.
    I like Tom Hardy but if I'm honest I can't wait to see how bad ass Charlize will be. I just realized in re-watching trailers that she had a prosthetic arm or am I seeing that wrong?
    AntManBee
    she does
  • @AntManBee Commission warning: I hated Mad Max when I saw it maybe 5 months ago.  Complete waste of time, as far as I'm concerned.  I've never seen Road Warrior so maybe it's better but keep that in mind when making your commissioning decisions.

Everyone who has seen Fury Road is saying it's awesome so I definitely want to see it.  Does it need the theater experience?  Last movie I saw in the theater was Interstellar and I'm glad I did.  Sounds like this one might be as impressive visually (in a different way)?
    ksa1001
  • edited May 2015
    @Jim  Duly noted, Jimbo. I was the one who asked you if you were excited about Fury Road on a Lunch w/ J&A a few weeks back and you both retorted with a resounding NO! You added that you just watch Mad Max recently and you hated it. Well that inspired me to commission the The Road Warrior, because I felt it was good medicine. 

It is a different animal, that's all I will say right now. And I feel it's worth a $250 of my hard earned money to pay you to watch it. So there. I can't wait to hear your opinion!
  • And oh yeah, Fury Road is DEFINITELY a worthwhile theater experience. I don't think you need 3D, but you should certainly see it on the big screen.
    ngwils02