Finished The Wire for the first time

edited June 24 in Other TV
So I started The Wire probably 2 months ago or so and have been plugging away at it and just finished it.  This was my first watch through and it really was only on my radar because of Jim and A.Ron's constant side chatter regarding how amazing of a series it was and it certainly didn't disappoint.  Season 2 was the least entertaining for me but even so was still a great season of television.  As they were going through the final season I was constantly thinking how the hell are they even going to attempt to pull this off regarding everything that McNulty and Freamon were entangled in.  That last couple minute montage of all the different aspects going through and closing up was perfect.  I especially was excited to see that Bubbles is on the straight and narrow and how he turned his life around and that Michael essentially ended up being the new Omar. 

The guys are 2 for 2 on their highly recommended with both The Wire and The Leftovers.  Both were amazing shows with some amazing talent.  I still love seeing John Wick and seeing Daniels playing the desk man of The Continental gives me a grin every single time.   Also the actor that plays Freamon is in the first movie for a short scene as well.

What are some of your favorite scenes from the entire series?
DummyA_Ron_HubbardShumdarwinfeeshypollyseeds

Comments

• awookiee said:
      I still love seeing John Wick and seeing Daniels playing the desk man of The Continental gives me a grin every single time.   Also the actor that plays Freamon is in the first movie for a short scene as well.
    Pretty much everyone from that show I call anyone from that show by the name of that character from the show, no matter what role they play. Idris Elba is Stinger Bell even when he is in Asgaard, Freamon will always be Freamon even though I've seen him in like 20 different roles, and Marlo can't become a detective on Bosch and not be Marlo (his name is his name!). The only one that comes close is Michael K. Williams on Boardwalk Empire because then he is Chaulky, but in any other role he is Omar till proven otherwise. 

I'd also recommend rewatching season 2 after some time has passed. I had the same feeling about it after my first time watching, but I rewatched it again a few years later and it was a LOT better than I remembered it. In general, I think the show is just better with rewatches. On my first viewing, I thought the show was good but maybe over-hyped. A year later I watched a compilation clip and it made want to watch the show again. I've now probably watched it 4 times all the way through and could easily do another.  
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    "After 2 years in this bitch, you pick me up in a muhfuckin' Ford!?" 
    awookieepollyseeds
  • edited June 24
    "Hows my hair look Mike"

"You look good girl"

Carver drops Randy off at the group home....Watching him smash that steering wheel....ouch
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    The entire crime scene investigation "fuck" scene. 
    raabnhoodawookiee
  • amyja89 said:
    The entire crime scene investigation "fuck" scene. 
    I looooooved that scene. My wife and I immediately re-watched that scene before even moving to the next scene. 
    amyja89
  • One of my favorite scenes is when Omar goes to the courtroom as a witness and just makes everyone look silly. They way the actor that plays Bird really sells Omar's antics too. 

I also thoroughly enjoyed Wee Bey eating all kinds of food and drinking soda while taking every murder count on his shoulders. It's weird that I would find it funny but it is played for laughs. I was always interested when they circled back to him and if I were doing that show, I would've found a way to keep Wee-Bey around as much as I could.

I liked season 2. Barksdale's crew was better than Marlo's. I didn't hate the final season's newspaper storyline. They subverted to cop work in the final season from a bit more authentic feeling to being over the top. I feel like I need to rewatch it to appreciate it. Didn't hate those parts but it felt like a different show at times. 
    awookieedarwinfeeshy
  • "He meant Lexus, but he ain't know it."

CoryFreddyawookieedarwinfeeshy
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Season two really picks up on rewatches. A lot of the stuff in season two makes the other seasons tie together much better. Plus, it's a logical consequence of the events of season two. You'd either have to do a big time jump to continue with the Barksdale  crew or, do what they did, which is zoom out and show why Baltimore is essentially a perpetual motion machine of crime, graft, and corruption.

Also, while season five is the weakest season in my estimation, I love, love, LOVE the scene where Bunk finds out that Freamon is on McNulty's side in the insanity. Wendell Pierce's comedic timing is so good.
    awookieedarwinfeeshy
  • awookiee said:
    I still love seeing John Wick and seeing Daniels playing the desk man of The Continental gives me a grin every single time. 

If you want some more Lt. Daniels the actor basically plays the same character on Bosch. Not nearly as deep of a show but it's actually a pretty fun watch (and it has some more Wire pedigree - the actor who plays Marlo is a detective, and the showrunner was a writer on the Wire).
    awookiee
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    wasn't Season 5 shortened and rushed because of the writer's strike?

and 100% to this imo.
    Season two really picks up on rewatches. A lot of the stuff in season two makes the other seasons tie together much better.
    Freddy
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Chinaski said:
    wasn't Season 5 shortened and rushed because of the writer's strike?

and 100% to this imo.
    Season two really picks up on rewatches. A lot of the stuff in season two makes the other seasons tie together much better.

"We been through Ronald Union Busting Reagan and Tricky Dick Nixon. We'll be here through your weak bullshit too." 

Best season. Well... Maybe 2nd best. 3 is fucking aces.
    Chinaski
  • Season two really picks up on rewatches. A lot of the stuff in season two makes the other seasons tie together much better. Plus, it's a logical consequence of the events of season two. You'd either have to do a big time jump to continue with the Barksdale  crew or, do what they did, which is zoom out and show why Baltimore is essentially a perpetual motion machine of crime, graft, and corruption.

Also, while season five is the weakest season in my estimation, I love, love, LOVE the scene where Bunk finds out that Freamon is on McNulty's side in the insanity. Wendell Pierce's comedic timing is so good.

Dude you have to watch Treme - it has all kinds of good Wendell Pierce stuff. Plus it will give you a chance to get righoutsly pissed off about Katrina 15 years later!
  • In terms of my “favorite” scenes, it’s pretty incidental to the rest of the series, but the camera work and sound editing on Ziggy’s final scene with Gleekus always jumps out at me. 

Minor spoilers 
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XeQhcS-ln0Y
    Cory
  • There's way too many scenes in my opinion to say which are the best or to choose from.  One scene that hasn't been mentioned is Avon and Stringer's last scene together.  Their whole conversation knowing that each has or about to betray the other is brilliant.  Plus, I always love how Avon and Stringer remember Stringer stealing a badminton set and they're like "how you gonna steal a net and a racquet and we ain't got no yard".

Like others have said, Season 2 is highly under rated the first time you watch it.  I think it's because you're coming off the Barksdales and want to keep going with them but then instead you're shoved into the loading docks world.  But if you go back and rewatch the season (once or twice), you really started to see how good it really was.

To me, part of the genius of this show is that in season 4, McNulty (who you could argue is the "star" of the show or the main character) is hardly in the show and yet somehow a) you don't really notice and b) the season is awesome (possibly the best since everything with the kids is so good).  How many shows could lose someone like that and still turn out a great season?

awookiee
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited July 1
    I agree with others that season 2 only gets better with time. First watch it was jarring, "who are these polish assholes?" after being so invested in the East Baltimore story that season 1 focused on. But IMO Frank Sobotka is a great character and his arc is a masterclass in dramatic tragedy. His last scene is up there with others in the series, with the gut punch of the FBI snitch calling the Greek right as he pulls up.