Avengers Age of Ultron SPOILER THREAD..

Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
What did you think? I thought it was brilliant and funny and exciting. I liked the twins. Or, I liked Scarlet Witch and wasn't too bummed when Quicksilver died. (I think it was smart; this way if Marvel and Fox come to an agreement on putting the X-Men into the MCU, they can bring on Even Peters as the much better version of the character.) Their accents weren't very good either; Elizabeth Olson seemed to be channeling The Count from Sesame Street at times. 

One other problem I have is how quickly Ultron went from an idea to a reality. It felt very rushed, like a lot of material ended up on the cutting room floor. I'm sure this first act was a lot longer on the page, because I found myself having to give the movie a pass on the creation of the supervillain. 

I still loved it, though. Not the best Marvel movie of all, but top 3 along with Winter Soldier and Avengers 1.

Comments

• HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    I would give it a 7.5 out of 10. granted I think the scale for a comic book movie is out of 9. 

What I liked

- The action sequences
    - Hawkeye story line
    -  Black Widow and Hulk
    - Iron Man vs Captain America preclude to Civil War
    - Most of Ultron

What I didn't like

- origins for Ultron and Vision
    - the mindless robot army has been done to death
    - the motivations of Ultron
    - the unlimited amount of plot-holes there are from Utron being able to control certain things like tony starks robots but not his building and own suits and also having to push a button for his doomsday device. 

• CoryCory New Scotland
    Frakkin T said:

wasn't too bummed when Quicksilver died. (I think it was smart; this way if Marvel and Fox come to an agreement on putting the X-Men into the MCU, they can bring on Even Peters as the much better version of the character.)

How would that work?

I loved it too, but slightly preferred the first one.  I found Ultron to be a bit underwhelming.
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    Loved the film, thought it was fun.

@Frakkin T In reality, had they fleshed out the Act I process any more they would have been at 3 hours. I'm sure the fact that it was as long as it was had something to do with the streamlining.

Pretty much non-stop action, not your typical beginning middle and end action sequence.

One question I had: During the chase scene to secure the new vessel for Ultron, how exactly WAS Ultron able to control the ground and tear up the road as they traveled?
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    @Cory I Imagine Marvel would love to bring all its characters home so they could all play together. They would work out a deal with Fox to reacquire the X-Men, then write and shoot a movie with them in it. Peters's Quicksilver can be a totally different character from the dead twin. I don't think it will happen, at least until Hugh Jackman stops being a draw for Fox's franchise anyway, but a nerd can dream...

@ksa1001 You're right. Just seemed like it was edited with chainsaw rather than a scalpel.
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    @Frakkin T - You mean if Marvel were to reacquire the rights to X-Men and then start their own X-Men franchise?
    @Cory That, or make some deal with Fox similar to what they did with Sony and Spidey to allow a crossover to happen

• Is Quicksilver dead? How many named characters have actually lied in the MCU? We've has plenty of fake deaths but not too many that stick.

As for the movie, I liked it. The Iron Man/Hulk fight went on a bit too long and got kind of repetitive. But all the other action sequences where enjoyable.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Man, I thought the Hulkbuster fight was the best part of the movie.  I also thought Quicksilver was going to live, and that's the reason they made a big deal out of the nano-medicine flesh restoring thing.  But I guess not.  I'm also incredibly sad that we're saying goodbye to a lot of our heroes in this film.  We have one more Captain America, and Iron Man is appearing in that one, but I suspect one or both of them will die, and if one lives, it will be in retirement.  It's kind of an end of one MCU era, and unlike the comics, once a particular character leaves, that's it, unless they recast it.  

How excited are we for Guardians of the Galaxy now, that it looks like we'll be getting the infinity gantlet?  
    ksa1001
  • I finally saw Guardians yesterday so i understand the term infinity now. Did Thanos show up in the new Avengers or post credit sequence?

I had a laugh when I looked up who Thanos was on IMDB and Brolin got an 'uncredited' tag
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    @Jovial_Falcon Yes Thanos does show up mid-credits.
  • Ha mid credits. I remember people bitching about Whedon saying no post credit scenes. Very nicely done Mr J
    I much prefer the mid-credits thing, though I don't mind sitting through 5000 names of artists that worked together to make something incredible, it's also nice not having to.
    ksa1001
    Here's what I don't get: Loki's scepter contained the mind gem, right? My understanding of Avengers 1 was that Thanos gave Loki the scepter for use in conquering Earth and acquiring the Tesseract. Loki gets to be a king, Thanos gets another Infinity Stone; everybody wins. BUT: Thanos seems to be all about acquiring the full set of Infinity Stones. Why would he give one to Loki in the Scepter and take the risk that he would not only not get the Tesseranct, but also lose the Mind Gem? Did Thanos not know the scepter contained the Mind Gem? Am I wrong that he is the one who gave the scepter to Loki?
  • I am really getting bored with the Avengers branch of the Marvel universe. I have no idea what Ultrons beef was. He was just born angry I guess. Jarvis is miraculously reborn from a backup and turns into Vision. These stories are just getting to be TOO MUCH! Don't get me started on Guardians Of The Galaxy.

I loved Ironman 1&2 because the world they lived in seemed to follow the same rules and limitations as the one I live in. The Avengers seems to be set in a world a couple blocks down from Game of Thrones. 

I know they have these movies on schedule for the next 10 year but I really think they are going to collapse under their own weight pretty soon. GET OFF MY LAWN!

ksa1001
    edited May 2015
    Frakkin T said:

Here's what I don't get: Loki's scepter contained the mind gem, right? My understanding of Avengers 1 was that Thanos gave Loki the scepter for use in conquering Earth and acquiring the Tesseract. Loki gets to be a king, Thanos gets another Infinity Stone; everybody wins. BUT: Thanos seems to be all about acquiring the full set of Infinity Stones. Why would he give one to Loki in the Scepter and take the risk that he would not only not get the Tesseranct, but also lose the Mind Gem? Did Thanos not know the scepter contained the Mind Gem? Am I wrong that he is the one who gave the scepter to Loki?

Trying to figure out how everything comes together in the MCU will drive you crazy. So....many....plot.....holes. 
    I thought the Scepter was on loan, as was the army, to secure the Earth.  I figured as soon as Loki won, he'd give it back to Thanos.

I thought the Scepter was on loan, as was the army, to secure the Earth.  I figured as soon as Loki won, he'd give it back to Thanos.

Exactly, which begs the question: Is Thanos stupid or is he careless? He's either careless to let a known infinity gem out of his possession or he's stupid because he didn't know it was an infinity gem. I knew it was a damn infinity gem the second he used it.
    Cool movie to comic retro pictures on the Avengers. Not really a spoiler but just thought they were cool. 

edited May 2015
    The Infinity Gauntlet story was JUST before my time.  And I mean, just.  They were wrapping up that story when I started reading comics on a monthly basis, so I don't know. But my thought was Thanos knows he's powerful enough to stand against a single stone, so he isn't afraid that Loki could welch on the deal.  Worst case scenario, Loki takes over the Earth, and then Thanos has to spend time and energy wresting control of the scepter from him, but that effort would be less than the effort to conquer Earth in the first place. 

I dunno, I try not to think too hard about the Marvel films.  :D
This discussion has been closed.