What are your TICK tips?

CoryCory New Scotland
edited June 29 in General
Ticks have become an increasing problem here the last few years (if not decades).  Where I grew up, I lived across the street from a beach and the road was a loop surrounded by the ocean on three sides.  Thus tick were, and are, a rare occurrence there.  Where I live now is one of the most heavily populated area for ticks.

I know about wearing light coloured clothing, long sleeves and tucking your pants into your socks.  Hot showers and daily checks.

Anyone have any other, maybe less known, ticks tips?

Comments

• Don't tick to the cops
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • cdrivecdrive Houston, TX
    Tick Tip:  I just walk around with pockets full of tocks and just sprinkle a few tocks here and there through out the day wherever I go.  Cause ticks have a natural affinity for tocks.  So with a few tocks in the vicinity I'm safe from ticks.  
  • I don’t see head cover in your list. A hat or scarf on the top of the head is a must when walking through woods in a tick area. Keep grass mowed and yard neat. Look out for Lone Star ticks unless you are a vegetarian. (Look it up - this tick bite can cause a lifetime deadly meat allergy)

also check out The Tick on Amazon video. Won’t help with tick bites but is a good show and seemed appropriate to mention here! 

Cory
  • edited June 26
    Masking tape works great to pick off seed ticks. Also, wrap your socks that have been pulled up over your pants with duct tape to seal off the bottom of the pants leg, which keeps out chiggers too. Also, shave your head if you are going to spend all day every day out in tick infested areas. Also, ticks in a film canister put into a freezer at the end of the day may still be alive the next morning when you check on them.

This has been tips and facts about ticks, brought to you by a former grassland plant ecologist.  
    majjam0770
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Thanks, mostly worried about the 4 year old though.  Have already found a tick the size of a grain of pepper on her.
  • ChinaskiChinaski Santa Cruz, CA
    i'm in the Santa Cruz mountains and do a bunch of hiking in the SC Redwoods. tick's are always something i worry about and thankfully haven't had to deal with (knock on wood). i wear high socks and consistently check behind my ears. i dunno why, but for some reason i always think ticks are attracted to the back of the ears.
  • Teresa from ConcordTeresa from Concord Concord, California
    Chinaski said:
    i'm in the Santa Cruz mountains and do a bunch of hiking in the SC Redwoods. tick's are always something i worry about and thankfully haven't had to deal with (knock on wood). i wear high socks and consistently check behind my ears. i dunno why, but for some reason i always think ticks are attracted to the back of the ears.
    Love hiking in the Santa Cruz area. Maybe we should organize a BM’ers hike. Wait. Do we fans have an official name? My Favorite Murder has Murderinos and Arm Chair Expert has Arm Chairees. 

I feel like I asked this a year ago. 

I also realize this has nothing to do with ticks. 
    Chinaski
  • I'd say other than what is above to get a tick comb for pets. Often the flea and tick medicine doesn't kill them but makes them want to jump off the pet, say on the couch or bed...
    Cory
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited June 26
    check your hair....pretty common occurrence growing up in my area. i remember one time i had one on my head and that was a bitch to deal with cuz you can't just easily put a lighter near it like other parts of the body. plus they are harder to find/see. 

edit: seems head was covered above...

only thing i guess to add is to make sure they are dead when you get them to detach. don't want a tick running around your house. 
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I've always heard that you should never hold a lighter to them.  It will irritate them and cause them to expel whatever it is they infect you with into your skin, which of course increases your chance of getting Lyme disease.  The only safe way is here:  https://www.cdc.gov/lyme/removal/index.html
    HatorianCory
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    Thanks @Michelle, we used tweezers to remove that tiny one from the little one.
    Michelle
  • CoryCory New Scotland
    CapeGabe said:
    I'd say other than what is above to get a tick comb for pets. Often the flea and tick medicine doesn't kill them but makes them want to jump off the pet, say on the couch or bed...
    Thanks, I'll look into that.
  • Jump in a pool when you get back from fishing. :)
    majjam0770
  • Been going to north carolina my whole life and had my first experiences with ticks this year, but they were big enough I could feel them crawling on me and just smooshed them (RIP). Knock on wood I don’t have some living under my hair right now. Ticks the size of a grain of pepper sounds like a much bigger problem. 
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    edited July 2
    Wear a bug repellent with DEET in it. The longer you'll be out / the deeper the woods you need a higher percentage of DEET or you need to reapply more frequently.  I used to get ticks all the time running around in the woods as a kid, as an adult, still spending a good amount of time running around woods and camping, I've never got a tick. I wear 25% for just kind of general hiking and up to 50% if I'm going exploring in the Upper Peninsula or something. I saw last week that they are selling 100% DEET now, which seems kind of fucking crazy.  Be careful applying this stuff around plastics, as it can cause surface damage to plastics and acrylics. Ruined a pair of sunglasses with it once.

Check into DEET with kids though. I vaguely remember a concern about kids under X wearing it, but that might have been junk science. If they are too young, you could try natural stuff like citronella. There are other alternatives: https://www.treehugger.com/health/3-top-rated-insect-repellents-dont-contain-deet.html
    Michelleawookiee
  • edited July 4
    Wear a bug repellent with DEET in it. 
    I’ve never found DEET to be all that great for ticks. But it’s good for mosquitoes. Permanone seems way, way more effective as a tick repellent, and in my experience foresters  and field biologists (including terrestrial invertebrate zoologists) agree. But I don’t really know much about insect/arachnid biology, so I dunno.