Bald Move D&D Play by Post Discussion: Everyone Welcome

An open discussion thread related to the up coming Bald Move Play by Post game of Dungeons and Dragons. 

To anyone who would like to comment on the game, please do it here - all comments and input are welcomed!  The main game thread will be heavily moderated, comments in that thread not made by players will be deleted - so if you have something to say, say it here please!

To the players in the game: If want to talk out of character, talk among yourselves etc please do it here.  If you have any questions, please ask them here.

Comments

• Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    I wonder if we should @ people when it’s their turn or whenever we’re interacting with their character. 
  • I think we should like posts by the DM to acknowledge we have read it so any lack of reply can be viewed as not doing anything. Like this first entry Aurelia Mardin has done enough for me not to act. Instead of making the thread have a bunch of OK, I do nothing but listen entries.
    CretanBull
    Hmm I like this idea, a slight modification: Like a comment if you agree with a players input and have nothing to contribute, Insightful a comment if you would like to follow up on a player’s action. 
    CapeGabe
  • Alkaid13 said:
    Hmm I like this idea, a slight modification: Like a comment if you agree with a players input and have nothing to contribute, Insightful a comment if you would like to follow up on a player’s action. 
    So we would like DMs post to show we read it, like players post if you agree with no further action or mark Insightful as a placeholder letting people know you are going to post an action?
    Alkaid13
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    Yeah that sounds good. 
    CapeGabeAlkaid13
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited June 29
    I think all of this is good, we just have to be mindful of not getting into a pattern where one person is always leading the way and everyone else is just agreeing/going along without input.
    CapeGabe
  • Flukes is the only one who hasn't replied in the game thread.  It's the Canada Day long weekend here, I'm guessing that he might be away - I just made the first game post without warning so it's entirely possible that he doesn't realize that we've begun yet.

I don't want to get too far into the game without his input, but to keep things rolling I'll make the next post and if Flukes wants to do something out of the ordinary, I'll retcon his move.  Given the current scenario, I can't really imagine him wanting to do something radically different than what has already been proposed by the rest of the group.

I'll give it a few hours, it's 10pm where he is...if he doesn't post within the next few hours, I'll move ahead.
    CapeGabe
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    I think you’re good to go. Unless he wants to do something drastic like pull a weapon I think we’re all ready to hear what this liar has to say....;)
    edited June 30
    @Hatorian ; asked "So just to clarify the turns will always be the same unless the DM specifically mentions a change for whatever reason. Ie player is knocked out. So I’m again 3rd in the chain of responses?"

The idea is that we'll have 3 different types of turn orders, social encounters, combat encounters and exploration.  

Social encounters are based on Charisma (highest to lowest) so our current social encounter turn order is:

Aurelia (CHA 17), Stirling (CHA 16), Justus (CHA 13), Darcassan (CHA 10), Ragnuk (CHA 10)

Combat encounters are based on Dexterity (highest to lowest) so our current combat encounter turn order is: 

Darcassan (DEX 16), Stirling (DEX 16), Justus (DEX 15), Ragnuk (DEX 13), Aurelia (DEX 8)

Exploration is based on Wisdom (highest to lowest) so our current exploration turn order is:

Ragnuk (WIS 12), Stirling (WIS 12), Justus (WIS 11), Darcassan (WIS 10), Aurelia (WIS 8)

If that ends up being too repetitive or rigid, we can change it up.  The idea is to have a determined order so that the players can get into a rhythm.  Combat is turned based by default, its been suggested by some of the play by post articles/videos that I've read/watched that introducing a similar turn order to other aspects of the game keeps things rolling and keeps the players engaged (ie there's an expectation that you'll act in some way on each turn, even if that action is passive  - agreeing with another player, holding your turn, listening/observing etc)

• On a related topic...how does this sound to everyone?

Each player will get 24 hours to reply. 

In combat if you don't take an action, your default action will be to take the dodge action - you don't move or attack, but enemies get disadvantage when attacking you. 

In social encounters your default action will be to listen/observe, you take no direction action but when the player returns they can make an 'insight' check to see if they picked up on something that they other players might have missed.

In exploration encounters your default option will be to be on 'look out', the effects will vary depending on the encounter.  If the party is about to be attacked, the player on 'look out' will gain an advantage to their perception check to detect being ambushed.  In a dungeon, a player on 'look out' will grant another player advantage on an investigation check etc
    CapeGabe
    Sounds good to me. 
    edited June 30
    One thing I would like to recommend. for social interactions if an insight roll is required the DM just does it. The players just state their actions and it’s up to the DM to decide if an insight check is required. that way we don’t have someone post, the DM then says you need to roll for it and then we have to wait for the player to roll. Think this would speed up the social interactions. 

But im completely new to this so if you guys don’t agree then cool by me. 
    CretanBull
  • Hatorian said:
    One thing I would like to recommend. for social interactions if an insight roll is required the DM just does it. The players just state their actions and it’s up to the DM to decide if an insight check is required. that way we don’t have someone post, the DM then says you need to roll for it and then we have to wait for the player to roll. Think this would speed up the social interactions. 

But im completely new to this so if you guys don’t agree then cool by me. 
    I'm of two minds on this.  Most of the "running the game" PnP sites recommend this, but I don't really like taking player agency away.  It would really speed up the game.  I've already done a few things slightly differently to avoid skill checks that I'd normally ask a roll for in a regular game.

There's 5 players, I'll let you guys vote on it if you want.  3 votes needed to allow certain skill checks to be made by the DM.  If we do this, I'll roll in roll20 off your character sheets so that you can see the results.
    I vote for DM social checks 
    I’m fine with it either way. 
  • edited June 30
    I would normally say it is totally the player's roll but this is a totally different way to play. Maybe start the players doing it  because the DM is already doing more heavy lifting than usual. If it is needed to speed up the game we can easily switch.
  • @CretanBull Thanks for clearing up the religion roll. I couldn't figure out why it was rolling advantage. I was staring at my sheet and couldn't figure out why but figured it knew what it was doing. I get it now, always take 1st number unless actually rolling advantage.
    CretanBull
    I like DM rolls in general.
  • I just noticed most of the party has darkvision, with the exception of our Bard
    I know light so it’s fine. 
  • Alkaid13 said:
    I know light so it’s fine. 

Or we could blindfold you at all times to heighten your other senses.

• CapeGabe said:
    @CretanBull Thanks for clearing up the religion roll. I couldn't figure out why it was rolling advantage. I was staring at my sheet and couldn't figure out why but figured it knew what it was doing. I get it now, always take 1st number unless actually rolling advantage.
    No problem, and like in this example a player can often use the 'help' action when another player is making a skill check to give that player advantage.  It's circumstantial, but like if you're trying to kick down a door there's no reason why another player couldn't give you a hand and put their foot to the door at the same time.  Other situations like if you had to make an acrobatics check to avoid taking damage from a fall, another player couldn't help you.
    CapeGabe
    so are we now just waiting for flukes before any other actions?
    Hatorian said:
    so are we now just waiting for flukes before any other actions?
    Yeah, I don't want to get too far ahead without his input...I've assumed that he's away for the Canada Day long weekend (it's pretty common for people here to go camping, the cottage etc this weekend)...we started without an announcement etc so he likely doesn't even know that we've begun.  So far its just been set up and exposition - I don't think things would be radically different if he was here (he'd likely ask the same types of questions etc).  As an 'observer' I'll let him make an insight check when he gets back to see if he picked up on anything that anyone else missed, that will be his way of contributing to the introduction.

Going forward though - like deciding on what you'll do next, where you'll go, who you'll talk to, what approach that you'll take etc I'd like him (and everyone) to be active in that process.
    CapeGabe
    edited July 1
    My music will be my guide. With bagpipes as my copilot we all shall not want....
    CapeGabe said:
    I just noticed most of the party has darkvision, with the exception of our Bard

edited July 1
    Alkaid13 said:
    10 years from now someone is going to be going through the forum and clicking on users profiles and be like "damn, this alkaid13 must have been really smart with a lot of insightful things to say....10,000 insightful points...modern day Plato"

in reality, its just me, doctor nick, flukes and cabe saying we plan to make a move after Alkaid states "I fart in the general direction of the knight...."
    CretanBullAlkaid13Doctor_Nick
  • Shhhhhhh! Don't let anyone in on the fact this was all an elaborate ruse to pad our Bald Move stats
    HatorianCretanBullAlkaid13
    @Doctor_Nick

not sure if you saw the rules but statements made in the game need to be bold

just so we are all on the same page 
    Doctor_Nick
    So....how Long do we wait for Flukes...
    It's 6pm his time now....If he doesn't respond in the next few hours (I think that he's reasonable that he should reply by 9 or 10 pm his time?) we'll move forward.