Bald Move D&D Play by Post Discussion: Everyone Welcome

Comments

• Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited July 2
    I will be asleep in like, an hour, so my next turn regardless of who goes or doesn’t will be to direct the party towards the Broken Chestplate. 
    CretanBull
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    I'll post the updates in the other thread in a bit, I have them written they just need some proofreading and editing.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    FYI DM. I’ve created a message thread for the group only. For us to discuss things and talk amongst ourselves without your knowledge. 
    CretanBull
    Obviously anything we discuss will not be officially part of the campaign but more for us to talk amongst ourselves. 
    CretanBull
    @CretanBull I am proficient in “a type of game”, I’d assume that to be whatever’s most popular in Shorecrest but I don’t know if that is the same game being played here or not. 
    CretanBull
    edited July 2
    Alkaid13 said:
    @CretanBull I am proficient in “a type of game”, I’d assume that to be whatever’s most popular in Shorecrest but I don’t know if that is the same game being played here or not. 
    It will rarely come up, so we can be broad here...you can be proficient in 'card games' (or whatever, dice games, games of chance etc) as your "type" of game.

edited July 2
    Actually I guess I might as well make it cards and take advantage of the opportunity. 
    edited July 2
    Hatorian said:
    FYI DM. I’ve created a message thread for the group only. For us to discuss things and talk amongst ourselves without your knowledge. 
    I don't mind this at all, but doing this probably hurts you more than it helps you.  I'm not a 'against the players' type of DM, and a lot of the time I get the best ideas from seeing how the players react to what's going on and listening to their ideas and theories.  I'll often have a set of plans in place, but as I hear my players talking about things and they start to speculate and theorize they often come up with better ideas than I originally had and I incorporate them on the fly to improve the story and give the players a sense of satisfaction for having figured things out.

I'm not asking you to put and end to the group or demanding to be a part of it, just saying that seeing how you're interacting with the story as it unfolds would benefit you.  I realize that other DMs see themselves as being against the players, trying to kill the players, trying to thwart the player's plans etc that's not me...I want to challenge you for sure, but the end goal (for me) is to collectively tell a good story.
    Hatorian
    Hatorian said:
    I don't mind this at all, but doing this probably hurts you more than it helps you.  I'm not a 'against the players' type of DM, and a lot of the time I get the best ideas from seeing how the players react to what's going on and listening to their ideas and theories.  I'll often have a set of plans in place, but as I hear my players talking about things and they start to speculate and theorize they often come up with better ideas than I originally had and I incorporate them on the fly to improve the story and give the players a sense of satisfaction for having figured things out.

I'm not asking you to put and end to the group or demanding to be a part of it, just saying that seeing how you're interacting with the story as it unfolds would benefit you.  I realize that other DMs see themselves as being against the players, trying to kill the players, trying to thwart the player's plans etc that's not me...I want to challenge you for sure, but the end goal (for me) is to collectively tell a good story.
    Good points. We will keep most interactions within the game thread. Maybe just a few messages amongst ourselves when we feel needed. 
  • Plus private discussions away from DM tend to inevitably slide toward meta gaming. I've played both ways but do enjoy a little more when the meta gaming is at the minimum. 

One of the coolest features of programs like Roll20 is the DM can whisper info to certain players and they can decide whether to tell the party or not.
    CretanBull
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Hey guys, thanks for the messages this morning - I didn't realize we'd started. My youngest's birthday party was Saturday, plus Canada Day yesterday and visitors from out of town. 

I'm just finishing up some painting downstairs (I'm off this week) and I'll get caught up and contribute this afternoon.
    CretanBull
    By the way @CretanBull apparently tools require some default score to base off of so I listed “Cards” as a Charisma tool check (thinking that Performance was the closest analogue) but if you want them to be Dex or Int or something I can change that. 
    CretanBull
    edited July 2
    Alkaid13 said:
    By the way @CretanBull apparently tools require some default score to base off of so I listed “Cards” as a Charisma tool check (thinking that Performance was the closest analogue) but if you want them to be Dex or Int or something I can change that. 

The standard way of doing it is a roll a d20 and add your proficiency modifier to it, your opponent does the same and the higher score wins.  In certain situations you can swap out your 'standard' roll for a skill check - slight of hand if you want to cheat, deception if you want to bluff etc but when you do this the opponent doesn't make a standard d20+prof roll, they make an opposing skill check ie perception to spot your cheating, insight to spot your bluff etc
    edited July 2
    Flukes said:
    Hey guys, thanks for the messages this morning - I didn't realize we'd started. My youngest's birthday party was Saturday, plus Canada Day yesterday and visitors from out of town. 

I'm just finishing up some painting downstairs (I'm off this week) and I'll get caught up and contribute this afternoon.
    I figured as much...sorry for starting without an announcement, I realized that it was the Canada Day long weekend and figured that it might conflict, but the other members of our group don't have the good sense to be Canadian ( :p  ) and were eager to go.

Let us know when you're caught up, and I'll retroactively let you make both a perception check and an insight check (make them in roll20 and report them here) - make both checks with advantage.  You can ask questions based on the results of those rolls, then we'll move on to the present.

Damn...I’m rolling hot tonight...haha
    CretanBull
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Alright, I'm all caught up. No worries about getting started. I'm glad everyone is so enthusiastic.

I've rolled an 18 on both Insight and Perception. I'm not sure which bits of the story so far they apply to, but you let me know what I've inferred or noticed.
    Not related to this campaign, but I played my regular Wednesday night game and we came as close as I've ever come to a total party kill..and it happened twice in the same encounter.  There are 5 players, all 5 players were down making death saving throws.  We were taking damage from a distance so our enemies couldn't finish us off right away because the'd run out of ammo...they'd each had 12 arrows, the fight had gone exactly 12 rounds.

In the time it took for our enemies to close down on us, our rogue rolled a natural 20 on his death save, which brought him back to life with 1 hp.  He grabbed our cleric and dragged her off into the woods and got a healing potion into her bringing her back to consciousness.  She had 1 spell slot left, a 3rd level slot that she used to up-cast the 2nd level spell "Prayer of Healing" (everyone got back 3d8+3 hp).

Our enemies arrived just as we were getting back up on our feet and melee ensued.  After a few rounds, all of us were back down and unconscious...all except the rogue who originally pulled the cleric into the woods.  She's a good fighter and has a good armour class, so she jumped back into the fight but the rogue hid in the woods taking pot-shots at the bad guys then rolling for stealth immediately afterwards, it was hit and hide every turn.

Again though, things didn't go our way and all of us were unconscious again.  Between the damage that we'd done before going back down and his several rounds of hit and hide before he was finally spotted it came down to our rogue vs the enemy rogue and fighter.  Our rogue is an arcane trickster...he used his last spell slot to charm the other rogue.  On the fighter's turn, he attacked with his bow, hitting once and knocked our rogue down to 2 hit points.  If he got hit again, it was all over.  The enemy rogue got upset with the fighter for attacking his new 'friend' and punched the fighter (doing 1 damage).  On our rogues turn, he attacked the fighter - rolled a crit - and got to use his sneak attack damage because the now friendly enemy rogue counted as having an ally within 5 feet of his target.  He did enough damage to take the fighter down.

The party survived because of a nat 20 death save, then later because of a nat 20 critical hit.  Both times the entire party was 1 round away from being wiped out.

I love this game :)

Doctor_NickHatorianCapeGabeFlukesShum
    Not related to this campaign, but I played my regular Wednesday night game and we came as close as I've ever come to a total party kill..and it happened twice in the same encounter.  There are 5 players, all 5 players were down making death saving throws.  We were taking damage from a distance so our enemies couldn't finish us off right away because the'd run out of ammo...they'd each had 12 arrows, the fight had gone exactly 12 rounds.

In the time it took for our enemies to close down on us, our rogue rolled a natural 20 on his death save, which brought him back to life with 1 hp.  He grabbed our cleric and dragged her off into the woods and got a healing potion into her bringing her back to consciousness.  She had 1 spell slot left, a 3rd level slot that she used to up-cast the 2nd level spell "Prayer of Healing" (everyone got back 3d8+3 hp).

Our enemies arrived just as we were getting back up on our feet and melee ensued.  After a few rounds, all of us were back down and unconscious...all except the rogue who originally pulled the cleric into the woods.  She's a good fighter and has a good armour class, so she jumped back into the fight but the rogue hid in the woods taking pot-shots at the bad guys then rolling for stealth immediately afterwards, it was hit and hide every turn.

Again though, things didn't go our way and all of us were unconscious again.  Between the damage that we'd done before going back down and his several rounds of hit and hide before he was finally spotted it came down to our rogue vs the enemy rogue and fighter.  Our rogue is an arcane trickster...he used his last spell slot to charm the other rogue.  On the fighter's turn, he attacked with his bow, hitting once and knocked our rogue down to 2 hit points.  If he got hit again, it was all over.  The enemy rogue got upset with the fighter for attacking his new 'friend' and punched the fighter (doing 1 damage).  On our rogues turn, he attacked the fighter - rolled a crit - and got to use his sneak attack damage because the now friendly enemy rogue counted as having an ally within 5 feet of his target.  He did enough damage to take the fighter down.

The party survived because of a nat 20 death save, then later because of a nat 20 critical hit.  Both times the entire party was 1 round away from being wiped out.

I love this game :)

thats the parts that suck about doing my post. you don't get those OOOHHHHH SHIIITTT moments with the group all together...
    CapeGabe
  • Hatorian said:

thats the parts that suck about doing my post. you don't get those OOOHHHHH SHIIITTT moments with the group all together...

I mentioned that is what I'd miss when we started playing, that everyone down and one guy needing a roll to save the party, the screaming in joy or dispair, but this should be an interesting experiment. Having never played like this it will be fun seeing what we can make of this.
    Hatorian
    Maybe we can try to do a Saturday or Friday night US time where we play the game real time. It would be my weekend mornings. There’s also probably some week nights I can “take a client meeting” during the day as Long as I have advanced notice. 

I dwfinitely can make my schedule work for around a 8pm to 12am EST or later session. 
    CapeGabeDoctor_Nick
    edited July 4
    @Alkaid13

Re: cards

Each time you post a reply in the other thread (while you're still playing cards), roll a d20+2 (just a straight d20 and +2 for your proficiency modifier).  If you're happy with the result, keep it.  If you're not happy with the result, you have two options:

1) Cheat - make a 'slight of hand' check.  Whatever you roll will be contested by the other player's 'perception' checks.  If they catch you, you'll get called out.  If they don't, you automatically win the round.  If you get called out, you can make a 'persuasion' check to talk your way out of it (this will be contested by an insight check).  If you convince them, they'll believe that you made a mistake, if they don't you're kicked from the table.

2) Bluff - make a 'deception' check. Whatever you roll will be contested by the other player's 'insight' checks.  If they catch you, they'll call you and you automatically lose.  If they don't, you'll automatically win the round.

So in addition to whatever you type in your reply, tack something like this on the end (and you can edit your current post to add this)

Roll: 14 - will keep it

or

Roll: 7 - will cheat
    Slight of hand check: 17
    Persuasion: 12  (include this just to speed things up in the event that you get caught)

or

Roll: 11 - will bluff
    Deception check: 5

Something to keep in mind when considering to keep a roll, cheat or bluff.  The other players at the (current) table are commoners.  The aren't proficient or skilled in anything.  Expect them to have stats in the range of about 8 to 12 so they *likely* have something like -1, 0 or +1 modifiers to their rolls.
    Alkaid13Flukes
    By the way @CapeGabe I assume you know this but just as a reminder summoning or dismissing your familiar doesn’t cost a spell slot because Find Familiar is essentially an ongoing spell. 
    Flukes
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    I think it would be helpful to start off each post with your character's name for easy reference.  
    HatorianCapeGabeFlukes
    I think it would be helpful to start off each post with your character's name for easy reference.  
    Agree. I’m finding myself having to dig through posts to find names. 
    CapeGabe
    Do i need to add the arrows to my character sheet or will the DM do it?
  • Hatorian said:
    Do i need to add the arrows to my character sheet or will the DM do it?
    I can do it.  For normal items you can look them up in the compendium and drag and drop them on to your character sheet, but these are unique items so I'll add them manually.
    edited July 15
    We've been playing for a bit and I'm looking for feedback now.

In general, how do you feel about the pacing of the game?  Do you find that you do too little on your turn, too much, a fair amount?  Do you think that you get enough information between turns - too much? too little?  In social encounters, are you comfortable spending several turns (which amount to days) playing out the nuances of them, or would you rather they be sped up, changed etc ? Are my descriptions clear? Are you able to follow the story?  Do my judgements seem fair/make sense?

Any other ideas/suggestions that might improve how we play?
    CapeGabe
    I think you’re doing a great job. Especially managing sometimes when we all do the same thing and it causes us to speak over each other and confuse the NPCs. I’m cool with the pace. I’m also cool with your excellent descriptions. Not sure about the others. 
    CapeGabe
  • It's been great. This is the biggest meta killing way I've ever played. At a table or online we'd have discussed if my sparks distraction from the archers was a good idea or someone might have had a different plan to negotiate or attack. Not here, just shoot it off and hope no one gets killed. Even playing the other ways trying not to be meta you really can only limit it. This way is interesting.

There is extra work for you trying to go with intention when 5 people say they are doing different things.  Like the breakfast interaction right now, a bunch of contrary ways of deciding on what to do.
    So far so good, I’m not certain how useful the “social encounter initiative” set up is given that we seem to just pipe up at random. Which is basically how actual games go to be fair, people talk when they feel like talking.