Bald Move D&D Play by Post Discussion: Everyone Welcome

Comments

• FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Yeah, only my token has a nametag for me.
  • Ok, that should be fixed now :)
    Flukes
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Ok, that should be fixed now :)
    Yep, that's got it.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    I was trying to do my move on Roll 20 on the mobile site and apparently triggered every roll under the sun.  Stirling will just move up a little to attack with the dagger at normal range.  
    CretanBull
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited July 27
    I was trying to do my move on Roll 20 on the mobile site and apparently triggered every roll under the sun.  Stirling will just move up a little to attack with the dagger at normal range.  
    Geez, you're not kidding!

I'll go with your first dagger role, which was a 20 for 7 damage.

Edit: I just noticed that you aren't in range to make a melee attack.  To do so, you have to be in an adjacent square (or 1 square over if your weapon has the 'reach' property, but none of yours do).  Did you have enough movement to reach the bear?  If so, move your token to where you want to be.

Edit 2: sorry, I just noticed that you wrote that you 'flung; your dagger, making it a ranged attack.  Got it!
    edited July 28
    I need to go back to town and buy a crossbow and some more daggers. Healing incoming next round. 
    Having to do this on mobile again. Trying tI move west and heal Aurelia. 
  • Having to do this on mobile again. Trying tI move west and heal Aurelia. 
    So, if you moved 25 feet you couldn't get to Aurelia this turn, but you could move & attack the bigger of the two bears.  Or you could take the dash action and get to Aurelia and end up beside her, but not have an action left to heal her this turn.  So basically, your options are.

1.  Move half way to Aurelia and attack the bear.
    2.  Move all the way to Aurelia.

Either way, it wouldn't be until next turn you could heal her.

Let me know which and I'll move your token for you.
  • Actually, there's a 3 option:  Move as much as you can towards Aurelia, and hold your action (Cure Wounds) and have the trigger be Aurelia moving into your area of reach on her turn.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    regarding the moving and attacking. Can you help explain how much we can move while still attacking same round?
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited July 30
    Hit the bear, I’ll be fine. You can move your movement speed which is 30 ft. (6 squares) and still have an action left to attack with. 
    edited July 30
    Hatorian said:
    regarding the moving and attacking. Can you help explain how much we can move while still attacking same round?

Each round you can move, take an action and possibly take a bonus action (if one is available to you).

For your movement, you can move 5 squares if your movement is 25 or 6 squares if it is 30.

As an action, you can do one of the following things:

Attack

Cast a Spell

Dash (2x movement)

Disengage (your movement doesn’t provoke opportunity attacks)

Dodge (all attacks made against you are at disadvantage as long as you can see the attacker)

Help (give an alley advantage on their next skill check, or give them advantage on their next attack as long as the target is within 5 feet of you)

Hide

Ready – declare an action but wait for a trigger before acting i.e “I hold my ground and will attack the first creature that comes within my reach”

Search – devote your turn to looking for something

You can take your action mid-movement.  So if you have 30 movement, you can move 3 squares, take an action (attack, cast a spell etc) and then continue on with the rest of your movement and move 3 more squares.

If you have a bonus action, you can take it at any point on your turn as long as you commit to taking an action that turn (some bonus actions specify when they need to be taken).

• In Sterling's case, he can move 5 squares (movement) and attack (action), move 5 squares (movement) and dash (move 5 more squares) or move 5 squares and ready his action to cast a healing spell (action).
    edited July 30
    On mobile again. I messed up, the healing spell is touch range so I can't get to Aurelia.  So I cast Vicious Mockery instead on the large bear and move, and use bardic inspiration on Aurelia again since Flukes hasn't been around.  
    CretanBull
    I’d like to open a vote. I vote that during Flukes Turn the DM just does his action without waiting so we don’t hold up the game. When/if Flukes comes back he can manage his actions.

But given it’s his turn now I say we continue without waiting until he returns.

Sorry Flukes. Not trying to be a dick but we’re in combat and everyone is responding within 8 hours and it sort of sucks waiting. 
    Lagging combat can be a problem.  
    HatorianAlkaid13
    I’ll take that as a vote for yes we should have the DM take action for Flukes until he comes back. 
  • It is unfair to let aggressive bears live this long plus their breath smells.

I have no problem. Sorry Flukes.
  • I'm ok with whatever you guys want to do, but as a reminder when we began playing the idea of giving everyone 24 hours to make their move was discussed.  If everyone wants to speed things up, I'm good with that (especially combat!) but if someone signed up thinking that their commitment would be "X" it's not fair to change it to "Y" unless everyone is on board.

Maybe - if everyone agrees - we can stick to the 24 hour per turn rule, then swap it to (roughly) 8 hours during combat and if you're not around, I'll roll an attack for you (if I'm around - 8 hours will be a rough estimate because with time zones, work, sleep etc it won't be rigidly adhered to).  At low levels, I don't think this will matter.  At higher levels it could be an issue...like if I'm acting for the wizard (for example) and don't cast a particular spell or whatever it could have dire consequences.
    CapeGabe
    Question. Does the weapon profiency already add to the roll or do we need to add manual? Example my longbow says +5 is that included in the roll shown or do I need to add?
    It's included, but I hovered over your die roll and it says your longbow is +4 (+2 Dex and +2 Prof)
    CretanBull
    Also, killed by a small bear.  I guess I am a small person, still a little sad...
    I have a herbalism kit. 1. Can I use it to stop Stirlings bleeding and 2. Is there any benefit in doing so with him unconscious?
  • Hatorian said:
    I have a herbalism kit. 1. Can I use it to stop Stirlings bleeding and 2. Is there any benefit in doing so with him unconscious?
    When a player is unconscious you have a few options...

1.  Cast a healing spell or dump a healing potion down their throats.  This will immediately revive them & give them hit points ie if you're unconscious and someone casts 'cure wounds' and heals you for 6 hit points, you regain consciousness, have 6 hit points and can act on your next turn.

2. Apply a use of a herbalism kit.  This stabilizes the target, they remain unconscious but they no longer have to make death saving throws.

3. Make a medicine check.  This does the same thing as a herbalism kit, but the kit works automatically and doing this requires a DC 10 medicine check.  If you roll above a 10, your target is stabilized - still unconscious, but no longer has to make death saves.  If you roll below a 10, your check for that round fails but you can try again on your next turn.

edited July 31
    Also, killed by a small bear.  I guess I am a small person, still a little sad...
    Not killed, just knocked unconscious! 

In 5e, in order to actually die you have to be knocked unconscious and then fail 3 death saves before a friend either heal you, a friend stabilizes you or you make 3 successful death saves.

You can also die if a take massive damage in 1 turn - this is very rare (I haven't seen it happen yet!).  If you get reduced to 0 hit points in a single attack and the remaining damage is equal to your hit point max, you die.  For example, in this case with the bear...you had 9 hit points.  If the bear had done 18 damage it would have killed you (9 damage to bring you down to 0 hp, and the additional 9 damage = your hit point max so you would have died).

• Hatorian said:
    Question. Does the weapon profiency already add to the roll or do we need to add manual? Example my longbow says +5 is that included in the roll shown or do I need to add?
    As Doctor Nick said, it's already included.  In Roll20, as long as you drag and drop your items from the compendium it will take all things into consideration.
    i dont have any healing spells do i? pretty sure when i created my character it said i had no magic. 
  • Hatorian said:
    i dont have any healing spells do i? pretty sure when i created my character it said i had no magic. 
    Not at first level, but starting at 2nd level you'll get 2 first level spells (and 'cure wounds' is on the list of spells that you choose from).

Stirling will be ok...last turn, Plastalyn threw a healing potion to Aurelia and she hasn't drank it yet.  Also, Aurelia is a paladin and they have a healing ability called 'lay on hands'...and Plastalyn goes before Stirling's next turn and you know that he's a cleric.  Unless you guys are total jerks and ignore Stirling, he'll be back up on his feet before he takes his next turn :) 
    edited July 31
    I’ve got him. Take care of the bear. 
    @CretanBull
    Are we playing Action or Bonus Action to drink a healing potion? Entirely up to you.