Bald Move D&D Play by Post Discussion: Everyone Welcome

Comments

• Alkaid13 said:
    @CretanBull
    Are we playing Action or Bonus Action to drink a healing potion? Entirely up to you. 
    A full action.  At 4th level there's a feat called 'Rapid Drinker' that adds 1 to your Dex and allows you to drink a potion as a bonus action
  • I have a couple slots of healing if we’re not going to rest immediately. What shape is everyone in?  I’m obviously on the veil of unconsciousness. 
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    I’d prefer to take a short rest and spend some hit dice personally. 
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    I'm in rough shape - 4/15 hp right now.  I still have one more Rage before I need a long rest.
  • Sorry for the delay.  As a rule I don't really drink.  Last night I drank.  A lot.  I've spent most of this day reminding myself why I don't drink.
    FlukesCapeGabe
  • "Firstly, how did a group of no-name ruffians, run out of town years previously,"

Can someone remind me who these ruffians are?
  • The Rats whose poison arrows we have. The jerks on the roof.
    CretanBull
  • Oh yeah.  Thank you.
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited August 3
    So, as I mentioned when we started, we'll be using milestone experience points.  The adventure will be divided up into 'chapters' and each chapter will have a set number of markers within them.  When you complete each of the markers in a chapter, that will = having met a milestone and you'll level up.

This opening adventure has two markers, you've just completed 1 of them.  You've been introduced to the story, met or gained knowledge who's involved and have pieced together enough of what's happening to have a grasp on what's happening.  This doesn't mean (or not mean!) that you've met everyone and know exactly what's going on, but you've done enough to hit the benchmark to consider the 1st marker met.

When you met the second marker, you'll level up.  You don't instantly level up, you level up after your first long rest after meeting the criteria to level up (and you can only take 1 long rest once every 24 hours...you can't wake up in the morning, meet the criteria to level up by noon and then rush back to bed to level up!).

In the future, I won't tell you when you've hit a marker, but given that it's early on I wanted to give you guys a sense of where you stand in terms of XP.

CapeGabe
  • And speaking of leveling up, it can all be done very easily in Roll20.  Don't do this now, and I'll walk you through the process when its time, but the same charactermancer tool that you used to make your characters can be used to level them up.  It will automatically add new class abilities to your character sheet, will update your proficiency modifier etc.  you'll only be prompted to on things that require a decision etc picking your archetype, picking new spells each level, adding a feat or ASI at 4th level etc.  For hit points, you're given the choice to either roll or pick the average (this decision is made in the charactermancer during the leveling up process).  I don't care which option you pick, but you live with your decision...so if you choose to roll and get a 1 or 2 - tough!  but you roll the max - congrats!  In my experience, in most cases it's usually best to take the average.  If you have a really high CON where you're getting +3 or +4 to your roll or if you have a really high AC, it might make gambling with a die roll a little less risky because you won't be as badly affected by a bad die roll.  If you have a lower AC, have a lower CON and/or are generally squishy...personally I wouldn't take the risk and I'd just take the average.  It's up to you though :)

CapeGabe
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    Just for clarity’s sake because I don’t know if it was entirely made clear at the time, @CretanBull I left some arrows and a sample of the poison from the ring to be analyzed but I absolutely did not leave the ring itself and still have it on my person, attached via chain to my neck. 
    CretanBull
  • Alkaid13 said:
    Just for clarity’s sake because I don’t know if it was entirely made clear at the time, @CretanBull I left some arrows and a sample of the poison from the ring to be analyzed but I absolutely did not leave the ring itself and still have it on my person, attached via chain to my neck. 
    Understood!
  • The smart part of my brain tells me to take the average hit dice. The rest which is the majority of my brain tells me to ROLL, ROLL, ROLL!

Then I remember a long time ago when I first played D&D and rolled characters. Whole lot of 3's came up. Whole lot of really stupid and ugly characters back then but they had an 18 Strength! 
    CretanBull
  • CapeGabe said:
    The smart part of my brain tells me to take the average hit dice. The rest which is the majority of my brain tells me to ROLL, ROLL, ROLL!

Then I remember a long time ago when I first played D&D and rolled characters. Whole lot of 3's came up. Whole lot of really stupid and ugly characters back then but they had an 18 Strength! 
    I feel the same way, but I learned my lesson in my first long term 5e campaign.  I played a paladin and I rolled every level...and got the worst rolls.  I'm sadly not joking when I say that when we ended the campaign (14th level) I had 2 hit points more than our party wizard.  He had a +2 CON bonus and I only had a +1, so he had an advantage there but he ended up with 86 hit points and I had 88.
    CapeGabe
  • edited August 4
    @CretanBull

Playing this slow is a challenge on my, and I'm guessing other's, memories.

Is there a way we can pin a Table of Contents at the beginning of the Player's Only thread? By that I mean what page important information happened on. I was trying to go back and find the information we had on Kasparian but ended up going page to page.

Now that I think of it it won't work, as the table expands it would throw the page numbers out of whack. It probably would be easier to have a D&D Storybook or Travel Log thread. We could add quick summaries and what page in the Player's Only thread it is on. I looked on Roll20 and didn't see a place where players could keep notes everyone sees.

I don't mind culling the old information and new going forward. Just wondering where the best place for all to easily access.
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Sorry I didn't do this Friday, but were travelling for the long weekend and I'm only semi-available. I'll try to contribute quickly now. I'll be back home tomorrow.
    CretanBull
    edited August 4
    CapeGabe said:
    @CretanBull

Playing this slow is a challenge on my, and I'm guessing other's, memories.

Is there a way we can pin a Table of Contents at the beginning of the Player's Only thread? By that I mean what page important information happened on. I was trying to go back and find the information we had on Kasparian but ended up going page to page.

Now that I think of it it won't work, as the table expands it would throw the page numbers out of whack. It probably would be easier to have a D&D Storybook or Travel Log thread. We could add quick summaries and what page in the Player's Only thread it is on. I looked on Roll20 and didn't see a place where players could keep notes everyone sees.

I don't mind culling the old information and new going forward. Just wondering where the best place for all to easily access.
    I've thought about this and wondered how it might affect the game.  I've come up with something...

In roll20 I created a handout called "Adventure Log" you should all see it (it's a picture of a book).  I've given all of you editing privileges.  So, if you click on it and hit 'edit' there's a frame called "Description and Notes"  whatever any of you type there, will become visible to anyone who clicks on the 'Adventure Log' - the 'notes' that you leave will become that item's description. 

Maybe you guys will want to nominate a note keeper for the group, or take turns month to month or something like that?
    CapeGabe
  • Yeah, I had mixed feelings about the idea but what in table time would have been an hour or two ago was ages. Plus I usually take small note for things like where we were told a NPC was.

I don't mind culling the old stuff and we can decide in the future if we have to take turns.  
  • CapeGabe said:
    Yeah, I had mixed feelings about the idea but what in table time would have been an hour or two ago was ages. Plus I usually take small note for things like where we were told a NPC was.

I don't mind culling the old stuff and we can decide in the future if we have to take turns.  
    I've made the first entry that summarizes things so far.  Look it over to make sure that I didn't miss anything - there were a few things where I wasn't quite sure if you pieced them together or not so to avoid spoilers, I left them out.

It will be up to you guys to continue updates to the journal in the future...it will much better/more useful if it comes from your perspective.
    CapeGabe
  • @Capegabe ;

Read what I wrote before you do the work of writing a summary!  At first I just had a 'test' message in the log, but now I've updated it with a complete rundown of what's happened so far.
    CapeGabe
  • @Capegabe ;

Read what I wrote before you do the work of writing a summary!  At first I just had a 'test' message in the log, but now I've updated it with a complete rundown of what's happened so far.
    Summary looks good. Thanks, I offered because you've been doing all the heavy lifting around here but it is appreciated.
    CretanBull
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    hey. how do you specifically roll for investigation or for other checks that have not been provided a button for on the screen. 
  • Hatorian said:
    hey. how do you specifically roll for investigation or for other checks that have not been provided a button for on the screen. 
    Open your character sheet.  Just to the right of your stats, you'll see a list of skills.  Click on the skill that you want to roll.
  • One of the things that I always struggle with when it comes to DMing is coming up with names for everything...towns, businesses, NPCs, groups, factions etc

I've been playing for about 30 years and I've cycled through and recycled thousands upon thousands of names and it's always hard to come up with new ones.

If you're wondering why the Rats are called the Rats...well...it's because when I was trying to think of a name, I looked down and saw my guitar pedalboard :) 

I did some planning for the next chapter of the campaign...you can look forward to two more NPCs named after guitar pedals haha!
    Flukes
  • Good thing you weren't eating Swedish Fish or we'd be fighting the vicious Swedish Fish gang.
    CretanBullFlukes
  • CapeGabe said:
    Good thing you weren't eating Swedish Fish or we'd be fighting the vicious Swedish Fish gang.
    I think my other campaign might have a run-in with the vicious Swedish Fish gang now!
    CapeGabe
  • To meta @Alkaid13, don’t split the party....
  • Always split the party! It makes things interesting. 
  • Plus we are still only 1st level, very squishy, it's a good way to get a TPK.
    edited August 15
    Bad guys love it when the party splits, it takes care of the 'divide' part of 'divide and conquer'  :) 

(Edit: I'm just making a joke here, not trying to influence your decisions!)