Bald Move D&D Play by Post Discussion: Everyone Welcome

Comments

• FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Hi friends - I'm sorry I've been MIA most of the last week. I've been crazy busy at work and haven't had time for the forums during the day and I've been exhausted in the evenings. I guess I'm at the age where I even have to schedule my fun. 

I'll get caught up and smash whatever needs smashing today.
    CretanBull
  • Alkaid13Alkaid13 Georgia
    edited August 16
    Well I suppose we don’t need to actually go to the tavern to have the owl do a flyover so we might as well have it scout first. I’m fairly certain we will engage in combat if we go there though so up to all of you, I have no problems getting poisoned but I don’t know how the rest you will get around it. 
  • i Think we should get the antidote. No reason to jump into a fight we know coming. 
  • So, put to a vote? Broken Chestplate or check on poison and then go to Broken Chestplate?

My vote would be for the latter as it doesn't seem to waste too much time.
  • Vote to get antidote first. And we should also get vaccinated for Measles just in case cuz ppl crazy these days with the whole anti vac think. Last thing we need is some rich highborn’s kid giving us measles cuz they think it’s gonna give him autism...
  • Just for clarity - checking on the poison would have to wait until the morning.  You dropped it off this morning and were told to come back tomorrow morning.  

The question - I think? - is do you want to stay put tonight and check on the poison/get antidote in the morning or head off to the Broken Chestplate tonight without having the antidote.
    CapeGabe
  • Oh, sorry.  In that case I vote to go to The Broken Chestplate
  • Brave the Broken Chestplate.  
    Do we have any idea of the strength of this poison? Plasty survived getting hit but he's a pretty strong healer.

Ragnuk would rather have the antidote but no way is he going to be the one to back down from a head-on confrontation.
  • Flukes said:
    Do we have any idea of the strength of this poison? Plasty survived getting hit but he's a pretty strong healer.

Ragnuk would rather have the antidote but no way is he going to be the one to back down from a head-on confrontation.
    You've taken the poison to be analyzed but won't get the results until tomorrow.  You also know from a conversation that one of the benefits of being a cleric of Mormekar is resistance to poison.
    Flukes
    Now that Stirling has his loot out, I'm torn between requesting Old Town Road and just yelling out FREE BIRD!
    CretanBullDoctor_Nick
  • Or yell out "Kick Out the Jams motherfuckers"
    CretanBull
  • CapeGabe said:
    Or yell out "Kick Out the Jams motherfuckers"
    If I could award bonus points for referencing the MC5 I would :) 
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited August 21
    I'm not really happy with the latest update, it feels cheap and I wouldn't blame you at all if you felt the same.  I just didn't want to spend the next 3 days spinning our wheels here.  If we were playing IRL at a table, it would be easier to let the scene play out while also handwaving it to a degree, but when we're making one move a day I couldn't see how it wouldn't take 3 days or so with the end result being the same.

It sucks because fast-forwarding through it feels like I'm robbing you of your agency, but I'm still trying to figure out pacing a play by post game where each turn feel significant.  I really don't like how I handled this, but again, I didn't want to spend the next few days bogged down in what was going to be a dead-end.

If you're wondering why I didn't shut it down from the get-go, there was a reason for allowing you to make the decision that you made, but some poor dice rolls rendered that useless...I'll explain in more detail later, but to saying anything more at this point would be a spoiler.
    Flukes
  • All good buddy. I’m cool with it
    edited August 26
    I'm feeling like there's something about the volume or nature of the smoke we're supposed to tweak to, but I'm not sure how to act on it. 

Maybe there's tar or pitch splashed on or around the inn? The voice (of Kasparin?) says he wants us to come out, but the back door is blocked and they made sure to keep me from exiting the window. He wants us out, but only through the front door? Something doesn't add up here.

Do you guys want me to come downstairs and try to get the back door open or try to get outside through a window? We could smash the windows in all the rooms and try to distract the archers long enough for a couple of us to get outside.
  • I have plans:
    A. Spider-Man up the chimney to the roof, lower rope
    B. Lie about having hid the ring somewhere and I’ll tell him where it is then stab him when I get close. 
    C. Attach a rope to a javelin as a makeshift harpoon, throw at wizard, reel back.....profit?
    D. Just open a hole through the back wall and leave, it’s either made of wood or cobblestone which means we can break it.  
  • Some are more serious plans than others. 
    edited August 26
    Alkaid13 said:
    I have plans:
    B. Lie about having hid the ring somewhere and I’ll tell him where it is then stab him when I get close. 
    C. Attach a rope to a javelin as a makeshift harpoon, throw at wizard, reel back.....profit?
    D. Just open a hole through the back wall and leave, it’s either made of wood or cobblestone which means we can break it.  
    I had a similar thought about making a hole in the side or back wall. I'm all for throwing shit (or javelins) through the windows, but I'm worried about getting hit by poison arrows trying to do so. They seem like pretty good shots (although they haven't hit any of US yet).
  • Alkaid13 said:
    I have plans:
    Based on observation...

1. the chimeny here wouldn't be big enough for that
    2. could be possible
    3. I think if you threw a javelin with a rope it would be very difficult to aim, and if you pulled on the rope it would probably dislodge the javelin and not reel a person back.
    4. it's cobblestone 

• Flukes said:

Do you guys want me to come downstairs and try to get the back door open or try to get outside through a window? We could smash the windows in all the rooms and try to distract the archers long enough for a couple of us to get outside.
    Based on what you saw, this doesn't seem likely...the stone slab that's blocking the door looks like it would take several people to move, and even then you're not confident that it would budge.
  • If the arrows aren’t poisoned this got significantly simpler, Dracassan light up those explosives, long range focus down the archers, Ragnuk and I will mop up the rest. 
  • Welp, I guess don’t light the wagon on fire since we don’t want to blow up Plastalyn. 
    edited August 30
    @CretanBull Is there any way to get atop the building on the east side of the alley? Maybe if I were to climb up into the wagon? Is it possible to reach the ladder leaning up against the west building?
  • CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited August 30
    Flukes said:
    @CretanBull Is there any way to get atop the building on the east side of the alley? Maybe if I were to climb up into the wagon? Is it possible to reach the ladder leaning up against the west building?
    The ledge of the roof is about 11 feet off the ground and the wagon is about 4 feet high.  Anyone other than Stirling could make an athletics check (DC 12) to jump and pull themselves up.

From the wagon you could get to the West roof by hoping on the little extension building with a DC 10 athletics or acrobatics check, this one is low enough were Stirling could attempt it too,  You could skip having to make an athletics/acrobatics check by spending the extra movement to get to the ladder.  Climbing the ladder counts as 10 feet of movement.

When you're moving, it costs an extra 5 feet of movement to climb on to the wagon.
    Flukes
    I am on a flight to Palm Springs in the morning. I should be able to check in, but if I disappear, it's because I burst into flames on exiting the airport terminal. It's supposed to be 46C/115F tomorrow.

• I think I have the ground game handled if anyone would like to focus on the fire, might help with all the smoke. 
  • In the other thread, @Alkaid13 unintentionally killed a target that he didn't intend to and it reminded me of something that I wanted to mention earlier.  Because we're playing the way we are and it isn't easy to ask questions and gather 'table talk' information - especially during combat - I was thinking about introducing a 5e version of an older 4e rule, the "Bloodied" condition.

Becoming "bloodied" kicks in when you're at 1/2 of your max hit points.  It's a visual indicator that approximates how damaged your target is, but it also impacts the game mechanics.  When someone becomes 'bloodied' (1/2 their hit point max) they gain the effects of 1 lvl of exhaustion - ability/skill checks are made with disadvantage, that including concentration checks - something to think about given that everyone in the party other than Ragnuk is a spell caster.

When someone reaches 1/4 of their hit points (rounded down) the take on another level of exhaustion  - your movement is halved (plus the effects of the 1 lvl of exhaustion).

Healing up beyond the 1/4 and 1/2 thresholds would erase the exhaustion (you don't have to rest etc like you do from exhaustion caused by other means).

These rules would apply to both your enemies and you.

This means that, at 1st lvl if you have 8 hit points and get hit for 6 damage and are reduced to 2 hit points, you'd make all of your ability and skill checks with disadvantage and your movement would be halved - all from a single blow.

The upside is that in roll20 I'd add a marker on the tokens of your enemies which would let you know which of your enemies have the bloodied condition and you could strategize accordingly.  This will make a big difference, especially as you advance in levels (and you're very close to doing that!).

Thoughts?

• I’d like to note that I didn’t really care if he died actually, was more surprised that killed him I guess.