Bald Move D&D Play by Post Discussion: Everyone Welcome

Comments

• Alkaid13 said:
    Oh this talk about not fighting things you’re unprepared for has reminded me of the time my Monday night crew and I beat a dragon we were most definitely not supposed to fight. 

Some background for this, if you’re at all familiar with Lost Mines of Phandelver you’ll know that there is a particular village with a particular young green dragon in it. You’re not really supposed to fight that dragon and definitely not at level 3 and yet somehow we got it into our heads that this would be a fine idea our party to take on. To be fair, I attempted to subvert this particular encounter by appealing to the dragon’s greed and lust for power to get him to go an kill a bunch of goblins nearby who had taken over a castle but apparently he decided to eat us first and then take over said castle. Luckily our one bit of tactical planning had us too spread out for big greenie to instantly kill us with his breath weapon so he spent round one killing one of the NPC’s with us and missing me. This proved to be his undoing because it was also the last round of combat he ever got. My next four turns were spent casting Command “Grovel” which, amazingly, worked every single time thereby causing him to waste his turns falling prone and turning from a instant kill machine into a big meat sack of hit points which the remaining party members quickly worked through. 
    I played that too, we encountered the dragon...but it didn't go as well for us.   We had our party of 4, and my character is an Unearthed Arcana version of the Beastmaster Ranger so I have a pet that is almost like a 5th character, plus we had a druid NPC with us and another NPC who was a (not very good) rogue who was meant to be spying on us, but who were were aware of the whole time.

By how the adventure is written, the dragon is supposed to run away if it gets under 1/2 hit points...we didn't know this at the time though.

In the opening round, our fighter and the druid got taken out by the breath weapon, and our cleric was the only one in range and she got taken out by the bite/claw/claw multi-attacks.  That left me (Ranger & animal companion), our wizard and the rogue who was spying on us and hoped would join the battle.  We got some lucky hits in, but the next round my animal companion and the wizard went down.  I spent the next couple of turns attacking, dodging and trying to convince the rogue to join me...2 rounds later, he did.  Between the two of us, we managed to whittle the dragon down, then the rogue went down too.  It was me vs the dragon and if anyone of the dragon's attacks hit me I was going down.  My DM rolls in the open, no fudging the rolls, he went on a cold streak of rolling 3's and 4's and in a couple of rounds I was able to get in enough damage to drop him below that 1/2 hit point total mark where it decided to fly off.  The other PC's all made their Death Saves so - miraculously - no one was killed.  Then a session or two later, we hit up that orc (I think?) hideout and it was a near TPK - again, I was the only one to live!
  • To level up:

In roll20, open your character sheet.  Find the section near the top, on the right-hand side of the page where it says "Core/Bio/Spell" followed by a gear.  Click on the gear.

That will open up a new page.  Scroll down to the bottom right-hand corner of that new page.  You'll find a box that has 2 options in it, "Launch Level 1 Charactermancer (cannot be undone)" and "Launch Level + Charactermancer"

Click on "Launch Level + Charactermancer"

That will open a new window that will walk you through the levelling up process.  For most classes, I don't think that there are many decisions to be made, but you'll be given options if there are.  You'll have to chose between rolling for hit points or taking the average.  I don't care if you roll, but if you do - you live with the roll, no re-dos!  Once you go through each page of the levelling up process, you'll end up at a 'review' page that will let you know if you've done everything.  If it's all good, click on "apply changes".  That will take you back to your regular character sheet, and all of your lvl 2 abilities will be automatically added!

If you have any problems, let me know...I'll either answer your questions here or we can work out a time to jump on DIscord and I can walk you through it live.
  • Looks like the level 2 up refills your health
  • Hatorian said:
    Looks like the level 2 up refills your health
    It's because you're not supposed to level up until after you take a long rest, and taking a long rest fills your HP up.  It's OK, there will be a couple of days of downtime between where you are now and when the next adventure begins.

• FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    I couldn't resist rolling, and it stung me badly. Rolling feels more authentic somehow - no shade on anyone smart enough to take the average!
    CapeGabe
  • Rolling has fucked me too many times to trust it for a tank character.
  • In a weekly game my cousin has the opposite luck with his monk. He has rolled max every level and has a 10th level Monk/Tank
  • In my first long-term D&D campaign, I was a Paladin and I every level I alternated between taking the average and rolling...by the time our party got to the end of the campaing, I think we were are lvl 13-14, I'd rolled so badly that I had something like 5 more hp than our party wizard has.  I will never roll again!
  • Let me know when you've finished levelling up, or if you need help doing it.

I'd also like some feedback about how things went during the opening chapter of this campaign, what you liked, what you didn't like, how clear was the story, anything that you want to comment on etc.

Also, I'd like to hear a little bit about what your plans are for the immediate future, and we can go over what some of your options seem to be.  One of the downsides to playing on Roll20 is that I need time to make maps, so I need to have some idea of where you're planning to go, what general direction you're going to steer things to etc

• Leveled up successfully. 
    CretanBull
  • can you just check and make sure i did the level up correctly?
    CretanBull
  • Hatorian said:
    can you just check and make sure i did the level up correctly?
    Yup, looks good!
  • edited November 4
    @CretanBull

I leveled up and think I did it correctly.

The question I have is how do I work the spells on Roll20? How do I mark what is prepared? The red dot? How do I track the used spell slots? I wish they would upgrade it to work like D&D Beyond. That is so simple an idiot like me can work it no problem.

Also did I find anything  interesting on the bookshelves?
  • CapeGabe said:
    @CretanBull

The question I have is how do I work the spells on Roll20? How do I mark what is prepared? The red dot? How do I track the used spell slots? I wish they would upgrade it to work like D&D Beyond. That is so simple an idiot like me can work it no problem.

CapeGabe
  • CapeGabe said:
    @CretanBull

Yup, it looks like you've levelled up correctly!  If you follow the charactermancer, it will do things for you and if you miss anything while leveling up, it should appear on the 'review' table in red before you click 'apply changes'.

Will answer your other question in the game thread!

• CretanBullCretanBull Toronto
    edited November 4
    This is a run down of your loot, it's up to you to decide how it's divided up. Most items can be sold for 1/2 of their stated value (ie a dress worth 15gp can be sold for 7gold 5 silver).  You could sell the suit for 7.5gp to a shop in the market, but if you wanted to find a buyer who knew and appreciated its value you'd have to make an investigation check.  Please let me know who will be in possession of the first two items so that I can assign a magic item handout to you in roll20.  If you decide to take George's advice (you're not obligated to) and move your base of operations to the Broken Chestplate, let me know who's room you'll put the Heward's Heavy Chest in.

Amulet of Necrotic Resistance (attunement)
    Sending Stone (attunement)
    Heward's Heavy Chest

Potion of Healing (2d4+2) x 3
    Potion of Diminution 
    Potion of Heroism
    Potion of Climbing 

Spell book

Misc:
    Casks of water (worthless), oil (5gp), ale (10gp)
    Disguise kit x 5 (25gp)
    Forgery kit (15gp)
    Fancy dress (15gp)
    Necklace (24gp)
    Ring (15gp)
    Broach (50gp)
    Man's suit (15gp + ?) 
    Walking stick (15gp)

200gp

Something to consider - only the person with the Sending Stone will be able to directly communicate with George.
  • Posted this in the other thread:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/10KN7Wyjd3jHFRYMCFqq2NAhwFG9hzRA7NYjV15VS_7s

Treat this as the party inventory, I’ll keep track of who’s carrying what specific item but you can all edit as necessary. 
  • Some things that I need to know so that I can prepare: 

- Are you going to set up shop at the Broken Chestplate, or will you look for other options?
    - Are you going to try to make contact with the Quarrymen (Rockbottom thieves guild)?
    - Are you / how are you going to attempt to dismantle the tunnels that are being dug under the Yard of the Last Guide?  Do you plan on telling anyone there about it?  Do you plan on telling anyone at the church that their organization has been infiltrated by the Rats who plan to tear them apart?  Do you plan on telling them about Negrellis, or trying to find out more about Negrellis from the church?

Some general questions (please don't hesitate to be critical, my feelings won't be hurt!)
    - How are you liking this?  Are you having fun?
    - What do you like about it so far?  What don't you like?
    - Do you have any suggestions on how we can fix the things that you don't like?
    - How do you find the pacing?
    - Was the story clear to you (not necessarily in the moment, it wasn't meant to be!)?  Did you find new bits of information intriguing?  Did they help you to piece together what was happening?
    - Any and all other comments are welcomed & appreciated!! 

• Story seems good thus far, I’m uncertain if I like or dislike the strict ability score based turn orders; overall it’s probably for the best though. I think @ing the next person to go has definitely improved the pace so we should keep doing that.  
    CretanBull
  • Alkaid13 said:
    Story seems good thus far, I’m uncertain if I like or dislike the strict ability score based turn orders; overall it’s probably for the best though. I think @ing the next person to go has definitely improved the pace so we should keep doing that.  
    I agree with the strict turn order.  For the last battle I rolled initiative for everyone and I liked that better, although I don't really like rolling dice for everyone.  I don't mind doing it, but it feels like I'm taking some of the fun/agency away from you guys by doing all of the rolling.  The upside to how things were done is that it ensures participation, everyone gets a turn.  If we were to do away with the social turn order for example, we might see the same 1-2 players do all the talking and other players sliding into the background a bit.

I have some ideas on how to maybe deal with that but I'll wait until I hear about how others feel before sharing so I don't taint the feedback!
  • In game Discussion:
    Put it to a vote

My Votes:
    Relocate to the BC, we’re familiar enough with it at this point and better someplace we know is good than some unknown locale which may be in league with the Rats. 

Based on our previous discussion it appears the Rats have successfully infiltrated the town guard and possibly the church so probably should keep information on a need to know basis. I’m doubtful they’ve managed to make the connections necessary to install themselves in the royal family itself and I could probably arrange a meeting, but they may have informants in the royal guard and anyways I’d prefer to have more evidence before doing that. 

We should ask Plastalyn if he has any allies in the church who could either persuade the higher ups to take this more seriously or give us more information on Negrellis. 

We should scout out the Quarrymen, they seem like natural enemies to the Rats and would be incentivized to prevent a hostile takeover if only to protect their bottom line. 

• Ritual spells don't need to be prepared correct? As long as they are in my spellbook I can cast them as a ritual. They take and extra 10 minutes to cast but can prepare one (like I did with Detect Magic) to cast normally. Am I correct in this interpretation?
  • I guess all I'd be interested in is a Potion of Healing and the Spell Book
  • Wizard Ritual spells only have to be in your book to ritual cast, you can’t normal cast them unless they’re prepared though. 
  • I don’t need the healing potions or the amulet, I could take the sending stone or not. 
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    Some things that I need to know so that I can prepare: 

- Are you going to set up shop at the Broken Chestplate, or will you look for other options?
    - Are you going to try to make contact with the Quarrymen (Rockbottom thieves guild)?
    - Are you / how are you going to attempt to dismantle the tunnels that are being dug under the Yard of the Last Guide?  Do you plan on telling anyone there about it?  Do you plan on telling anyone at the church that their organization has been infiltrated by the Rats who plan to tear them apart?  Do you plan on telling them about Negrellis, or trying to find out more about Negrellis from the church?

Some general questions (please don't hesitate to be critical, my feelings won't be hurt!)
    - Do you have any suggestions on how we can fix the things that you don't like?
    - Was the story clear to you (not necessarily in the moment, it wasn't meant to be!)?  Did you find new bits of information intriguing?  Did they help you to piece together what was happening?
    - Any and all other comments are welcomed & appreciated!! 

I'll answer the general questions for now. I need to fully absorb the other thread when I have free time later.

• I'm liking it a lot and I am having a lot of fun. My fun's increased as the action's picked up.

• I'm not trying to block out a bunch of consecutive hours in my week to play.
    • Some really solid RP from the party
    • Story twists. I'm bracing for the eventual double-twist where some foe becomes an ally but was really a foe all along.
    • The burning inn was a confusing encounter that might have been easier if we were playing live, but the confusion was appropriate to the situation. Having come out the other side I look back at it fondly.
    • Titling posts with character name and @'ing the next player.
    • Initiative chart in Roll20 so I don't have to scroll back to find the turn order when ending my turn.

Dislikes
    • I'm finding it hard to play my character in some of the social situations.  I think I'll find his voice as we continue to play. The turn-order implies that Ragnuk should say something even if he probably wouldn't. If he complains about all the chin-wagging or issues a grunt instead of a contribution, that's me trying to play as the character, not commentary on the game.
    • The pace drags a bit when we try to wrap up a social interaction.
    • In combat, what I want to do next often depends on the result of the last character's turn. Are we good with posts that offer two alternatives based on the preceding outcome? There's potential to fudge a bit if we allow this, but personally I trust the group to be honest and it can help keep things going if @CretanBull hasn't been able to resolve the previous turn when the next player has time to check in and play.
    • Some lulls, but overall very good. I loved the breakneck pace of the inn > street > sewer > lab sequence. Bursts like that to end a chapter are awesome.
    - Was the story clear to you (not necessarily in the moment, it wasn't meant to be!)? 
    • It is now. I was getting a little lost with the number of characters to keep track of, but I think I've got a good grip on it now.
    Did you find new bits of information intriguing?  Did they help you to piece together what was happening?
    • Yes and yes. Nothing felt like a retcon - it all makes sense in hindsight.

• sorry my feedback wont be long. i think youre doing good and im enjoying this as a part of my day.

so about next steps. We need to ask Kasparian if there is a code word or some way to identify a rat in hiding. if so then maybe we take this up to either the church or the guards. if we cant indentfiy a rat in hiding then we are probably better safe trying to figure things out more.

i say we move and find a way to make word across the town that we have perished at the hands of Kasparian. then we can go around with watching our backs every second. Doesnt seem anyone who is alive has seen our faces besides maybe Negrellis. 

im happy to splitting up the loot anyway. i shouldnt have anything magic related though. just whatever we do lets make sure its beneficial to the character holding it. 
  • I think this has been going well, personally.  

I think we should relocate to the Broken Chestplate, but we haven't exactly gone through everyone there for rat connections, so don't get cocky.

I will take a look at the loot and see if anything is particularly useful for Stirling.  
  • CapeGabe said:

Ritual spells don't need to be prepared correct? As long as they are in my spellbook I can cast them as a ritual. They take and extra 10 minutes to cast but can prepare one (like I did with Detect Magic) to cast normally. Am I correct in this interpretation?
    You can cast any spell with the 'ritual' tag as a ritual.  Doing so adds 10 mins to the casting time (so if the spell has a casting time of 1 round, the casting time as a ritual is 10 mins + 1 round) but doesn't cost a spell slot and the spell doesn't have to be currently memorized.  If you do happen to have a spell with the ritual tag memorized, you can cast it in its normal casting time, but it costs a spell slot.
    CapeGabe
  • Oh I guess we could always try asking the elves for assistance.