Years and Years

DeeDee Adelaide
So I see by the latest BM TV that Years and Years has now started in the US. I haven’t listened yet so I don’t know what the guys thought of it, but I watched it all recently and it’s definitely worth checking out. 

Word of advice: don’t google anything about it as there are massive spoilers out there since the whole season has been shown in the UK. Go in as blind as possible and just roll with it. 
CretanBullBloodyTaco

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    edited June 28
    Okay, I’ve listened now and I’m not surprised that Jim and A.Ron hated it - it was pretty polarising in the UK. It’s definitely a bonkers cacophonous mess. But I started watching it knowing nowt about it and thinking it was just a normal family drama show and in the first episode I was like “Whaaaaat the fuck is happening here?” 

All I can say again is it’s worth checking out. You might love it. You might hate it. And who doesn’t want to see Emma Thompson play an evil politician? 
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Dee said:
    Okay, I’ve listened now and I’m not surprised that Jim and A.Ron hated it - it was pretty polarising in the UK. It’s definitely a bonkers cacophonous mess. But I started watching it knowing nowt about it and thinking it was just a normal family drama show and in the first episode I was like “Whaaaaat the fuck is happening here?” 

All I can say again is it’s worth checking out. You might love it. You might hate it. And who doesn’t want to see Emma Thompson play an evil politician? 
    What don't I want to see Emma Thompson play?
    DeeRenaisWomn
  • I appreciated J & AR's points about the seeming futility of it (aside from scaring the shit out of us); I had similar feelings about The Handmaid's Tale and had to stop watching because it was too disturbing. I was nevertheless taken aback by the degree of their dislike for Y&Y.

That said, having seen two episodes now, there is SOMETHING compelling about it for me. The hook is in my guts and I'm in it for the ride--warts, artificially-constructed family, and all. I can't pretend Emma Thompson doesn't play into it, of course.

Here's hoping those of us who stick with it find something of value.

Peace.
    DeeBloodyTaco